Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A banker friend shared a story of someone withdrawing $300,000 in cash due to COVID. A few weeks later she changed her mind and brought the $300,000 back with another $300,000 from another bank all in cash.

And I'm nervous with a couple Ben Franklins in my wallet...

I eagerly await the day I show up with a duffle bag (or six), and an armed bodyguard to withdraw all my TSLA money.

My spouse and I have been unable to decide what denomination of currency we’d like and currently I’m really stuck on what outfit I should wear.

Just the other day we were watching an episode of Better Call Saul. He was transporting $7 million in bail money. FYI, money was in $100 bills, stacks of $10k. It all fit in two large army type duffle bags.

You all think I’m joking right now.

A banker friend shared a story of someone withdrawing $300,000 in cash due to COVID. A few weeks later she changed her mind and brought the $300,000 back with another $300,000 from another bank all in cash.

It always kills me that people think physical cash is the answer when the zombie apocalypse hits. Ammo, knives, hand tools, repair manuals, booze, coffee.

Lol did you just try to counter my point by pointing out someone received some new bills at a bank?
Yes. Do you really think that the Fed isn't printing Billions of dollars to flood the banks with cash in preparation of a possible run? People are going to want cash if they get scared about the solvency of their bank. The financial system is under a terrible amount of stress.

I eagerly await the day I show up with a duffle bag (or six), and an armed bodyguard to withdraw all my TSLA money.

My spouse and I have been unable to decide what denomination of currency we’d like and currently I’m really stuck on what outfit I should wear.

Just the other day we were watching an episode of Better Call Saul. He was transporting $7 million in bail money. FYI, money was in $100 bills, stacks of $10k. It all fit in two large army type duffle bags.

Planning a future trip to Starbucks?

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand

Highly recommend.

Another idea that haven't been properly digested is this:
840144b505b7ba120c92cd1b0b3437e6.jpg

Effectively means - that tesla cars (with the new to be announced chemistry) can double as decentralized Hornsdale batteries.

Hornsdale big battery doubles savings to consumers, and keeps lights on | RenewEconomy
"Neoen on Friday released a report by energy consultancy Aurecon on the Hornsdale Power Reserve – which at 100MW and 129MWh remains the biggest lithium-ion battery in the world – and found that the money it saved consumers in 2019 jumped to $116 million, from $40 million in 2018."

Assuming 70kwh/car - that's equivalent to 1843 cars pr Hornsdale battery.
Well if the Hornsdale battery could save customers 116m$ in 2019.... and it takes 1843 cars to equal a decentralized Hornsdale battery... well, you do the math.

Let's just say - I'm excited for battery day.
Note that Tennet released a platform for it (Equigy platform gives European consumers access to tomorrow's sustainable energy market) and that small scale testing is going on in europe (including with Tesla).

• Helpful
Reactions: JBRR

Um...
Talk about making things worse...
FDIC: Deposit Insurance FAQs
"The standard deposit insurance amount is $250,000 per depositor, per FDIC-insured bank, per ownership category."

More on topic, SIPC is 500k with 250k cash limit. However, it is rare for stocks to be lost in a brokerage collapse. (Per one blog post) Exceeding $500,000 SIPC Insurance Limit at Vanguard (or any Brokerage)

You've got it totally wrong. The U.S. Treasury does issue treasury bonds in order to "pay" for government spending such as the stimulus checks, but who buys these bonds? It is definitely NOT the social security trust fund since it has no actual money at all. A tiny amount could be purchased by foreign governments but that is especially small right now where every country in the world is suffering economically. The Federal Reserve (Fed) is the primary buyer of these bonds and it creates the money to buy them from literally nothing - it doesn't even print it, they are just electronic entries on their balance sheet. This brand new money is used to buy all sorts of assets, not just U.S. treasuries (but mostly bonds of various types). The Fed has recently been buying up corporate bonds, real estate bonds, and government bonds at a very, very fast pace. See the Fed's balance sheet for a look at how much and how fast. Any increase in that chart is newly created money out of thin air. Sometimes the Fed worries about inflation and sells back the bonds they've previously bought to remove money from circulation - the money they get from selling their assets is removed from the balance sheet and ceases to exist. But like the stock market, the trend is always upward for the Fed's balance sheet.

Another important question is who benefits from having sold those bonds to the Fed? The seller of course! Besides the U.S. Government, most of the other kinds of bonds they buy are owned by commercial and investment banks who are the very same people that make up the Fed! Yes, this is the fox guarding the hen house. They simply figure out which of their assets are trash (hint: corporate bonds of companies that will be going bankrupt soon and commercial real-estate soon to have no tenants) and these are the bonds that the Fed buys (and does so quickly enough to raise the prices well above real market prices). If for some reason the bank has loans against real estate that haven't been bundled into bonds, then the banks start bundling them up in order to dump them on the Fed. This is happening right now. These banks are owned and operated by very wealthy people who well know how to enrich themselves and their friends. Nearly all of this money in one way or another will flow into financial assets owned by them in order to prop them up. That is why the stock market is soaring right now despite the economy itself tanking.

Would you agree with my comment then that the Fed is printing money? That they are also flooding the system with cash? Apparently a lot of people thought my comment was funny.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eugene Ash
Interesting concept, but if Tesla is at the cusp of enabling autonomous driving, each Tesla will be far more valuable as a robotaxi driving nonstop, than as a combination of personal car and parked-in-garage vehicle-to-grid battery.

Good point, but some Tesla owners have said they don't want their cars to be robotaxis.

If the speculation is correct, you will have two different ways to earn income from your Tesla car: put in on the road as a robotaxi, or keep it in the garage as a grid stabilizer. You could do both (at different times) and Tesla will earn profits from both (at software-style margins). Everybody's happy, except automakers who can't offer either income stream to their customers.

Good point, but some Tesla owners have said they don't want their cars to be robotaxis.

If the speculation is correct, you will have two different ways to earn income from your Tesla car: put in on the road as a robotaxi, or keep it in the garage as a grid stabilizer. You could do both (at different times) and Tesla will earn profits from both (at software-style margins). Everybody's happy, except automakers who can't offer either income stream to their customers.

I wouldn't mind purchasing a Cybertruck to haul goods while stabilizing the grid continuously (+ a nice cashflow in my FI/RE hopes).

Haha - Krugerrand in 2 years

cat-burglar-illustration-id165674587

Kruggerand in 2 years and 1 week:
52883477-cartoon-character-cat-on-island.jpg

Only because it's the weekend....$7M in $100 bills can fit into less than 1/2 of a large duffel bag. lol

Interesting concept, but if Tesla is at the cusp of enabling autonomous driving, each Tesla will be far more valuable as a robotaxi driving nonstop, than as a combination of personal car and parked-in-garage vehicle-to-grid battery.

What if it did not only transport people and goods but also energy to homes or neighborhood power distribution centers.

Reactions: M. Thompson
What if it did not only transport people and goods but also energy to homes or neighborhood power distribution centers.
......steps outside to look at my 11,655 PV (DCvolts) array, notices a few dozens of houses pretty locally in the neighborhood with similar or bigger, contemplates my 5.5 powerwall equivalent Cybertruck
thinks about battery day...., contemplates being a node in an incipient VPP

You underestimate @Krugerrand 's exposure to TSLA. Islands are expensive, ya know? ;)

Islands are cheap; it’s island defense that’s expensive. And also, I don’t want $100 bills. I’m leaning heavily toward $20 bills but may have to compromise at 50’s.

Still it’s good to know how many duffle bags I’m going to need. Nothing more embarrassing than not having enough bags with you to carry your cash out of the bank.

As a Tony Stewart/Home Depot fan I embrace the mantra; measure twice, cut once.

Islands are cheap; it’s island defense that’s expensive. And also, I don’t want $100 bills. I’m leaning heavily toward $20 bills but may have to compromise at 50’s.

Still it’s good to know how many duffle bags I’m going to need. Nothing more embarrassing than not having enough bags with you to carry your cash out of the bank.

As a Tony Stewart/Home Depot fan I embrace the mantra; measure twice, cut once.

Get one of those seabags the Sailors use. They're much larger than mere duffel bags.