Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3 Loses CR Recommendation Over Reliability Issues

Tesla’s Response

A Tesla spokesperson said the automaker has already made “significant improvements” to correct the issues that Model 3 owners raised with CR. “The vast majority of these issues have already been corrected through design and manufacturing improvements, and we are already seeing a significant improvement in our field data,” the spokesperson wrote in an emailed statement to CR. “We take feedback from our customers very seriously and quickly implement improvements any time we hear about issues.”

Classic Wall Street games. This thing will stair step down back to $250-$280 before it catipults. Tutes really want to load up down there. Just noise for long term investors, but opportunities for traders

You've been saying this for the past month or so and have yet to be right. The only reason we hit those numbers was because Musk's leadership ability was in question. Ain't happening unless we experience similar circumstances again.

You've been saying this for the past month or so and have yet to be right. The only reason we hit those numbers was because Musk's leadership ability was in question. Ain't happening unless we experience similar circumstances again.

Another scenario: indexes give back their Jan/Feb gains and go back to December levels.

• Disagree
Reactions: Wnuk and adaptabl
How many people really complete the CR survey … I want to know their numbers. Also its a self selected, non random ("not scientific") survey.

Does the survey actually says its for CR? Or do they use third party survey companies? I ask because since purchasing my Model S (July 2018), I have received about 6 surveys that I have completed. 2 were those 25 page fill in the bubble kind, the rest were online. All were legit companies, but none said Consumer Reports. One of them was for JD Power. Ive gotten surveys in the past with other car purchases, but never this many.

*Caveat I always do the surveys, so I think companies keep track of individuals who actually take the time to do them, so its possible with my latest purchase I was on the jackpot list. lol

Reactions: UncaNed
Honestly this smell of a coordinated hit peice. Who would sell the stock over this.

Indeed it's weird, and Consumer Reports was leaking this information:

Tesla Model 3 No Longer Recommended By Consumer Reports

"Consumer Reports reached out to us this week to let us know that it was making some updates based on vehicle reliability data. The Model 3 was one of a handful of cars to be impacted by the updated information."​

If InsideEV, a small publication, was informed by CR, so were all the big short sellers...

I believe this explains some of the weird price capping and weird price action @tivoboy and @Papafox observed as well: colluding shorts first quietly capped and grew short positions, then engineered a big drop when the news "broke".

The good news: we now know that the shortz were probably banking on the CR news.

Also note the hilarious argument CR is making:

"Interestingly, even though customers are more satisfied with the Tesla Model 3 than any other car and have pushed its score up to the top of the luxury compact car class, it seems they are still reporting some recurring issues."
CRs's solution to a car that makes owners the most happy: do not recommend, because of problems that Tesla says are almost all fixed already.

Because the happiness of future Tesla owners is going to be lower with all these problems they are unlikely to ever experience. Because time travel?

CR's chain of logic: big, major fail, for which reason I cannot possibly recommend their magazine. :D

Last edited:
How many people really complete the CR survey … I want to know their numbers. Also its a self selected, non random ("not scientific") survey.

Does anyone know how CR conducted the survey? I know in the past when I was a subscriber, they simply asked me what cars I own, and list any issues. If I said I own brand XYZ with tons of issues, they have no ways to verify if I actually own brand XYZ, and no way to verify if I actually had those issues. Considering there are so many paid and unpaid bashers, car dealers, oil men... who are eager to hurt Tesla... It's easy to mess up the survey.

The ultimate factor to decide either recommend or not recommend a car, should be based on owner's view. If the owner says I regret the purchase, then don't recommend it. If the owners say for sure I would do it again, love the car, then the car should be recommended. Seems to me this is common sense.

I still hold the view CR is probably corrupted, simply because they have been in this lucrative business for so long, but I have no proof. These things are very difficult to prove.

As a TSLA investor I rejoice: Tesla has clearly adopted a winning strategy by building its own battery factory in order to secure the supply of its potentially most important component.

As a supporter of the EV revolution, as well as an inhabitant of Planet Earth, I am seriously worried. I was excited about VWs apparent commitment to a full-on transition to EVs, so this type of setback is not good. It is in fact not good for Tesla either, as less (or delayed) competition might make them feel complacent in terms of persistently bringing costs down and improving their offering. The only ones benefitting from an EV offer consisting almost exclusively of luxury cars are investors, while the transition to sustainable transport gets delayed. Just something we should all keep in mind.

As a secondary thought: having a heavyweight such as VW transitioning the majority of their lineup to electric powertrains in 3-4 years will be of enormous benefit to the mainstream acceptance of EVs. The sooner that happens, the better.
This is really interesting news. Depending on his or her perspective, it provides each person a set of outcomes that can simultaneously encompass satisfaction, outrage and much in between. One of the questions it raises for me is the possibility of affixing to LG a Restraint of Trade charge. That's a pretty serious illegality in most jurisdictions and it sure smells like that to me.

60537A29-D7F4-47E1-B759-ACFAD0F01442.jpeg
This was the latest survey.

They keep on coming.

I guess I should say thanks Consumer Reports???? Hope you guys don't mind that I'm rooting for this to stay at this level, wouldn't mind lower. T-minus 5 business days until I can buy more shares.

As Fact_Check said, this quite honestly to me is blatant stock manipulation if they were letting people know the change in rating was coming. I wouldn't be surprised if they notified funds in wall st back when the stock was 320'ish, maybe even before that.

I do laugh, quite hard, at people who actually think Consumer Reports is relevant today. No one between the ages of 20-35 care one cent about Consumer Reports.

Last edited:
Does the survey actually says its for CR? Or do they use third party survey companies?

CR only surveys CR subscribers. They send paper surveys and emails.

I will be contacting them and letting them know I will be canceling my subscription after 30+ years if they do not reverse this decision and recommend Model 3.