Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Show us your cards:

Who bought/sold shares this week in anticipation of a positive/negative report?

I bought extra shares this week

Who else? Please announce it before market's closed today.
I really hate ( :p ) those bragging-posts saying "Woooww, look at the price action in AH, glad I bought/sold shares before!"

:cool: Tonight, I feel like being Warren Buffet :cool:

With regard to the timing of Fremont reopening, and consequently possible S&P500 inclusion, I think it's important to consider two things:
  • As far as I can tell, there currently is no coherent plan for exiting lockdown in California, or anywhere in the US (or most of the western world for that matter), without causing a sharp second wave, forcing us right back into lockdown. This, combined with the extreme political pressure of the situation may well lead to rushed and/or poorly thought out policies, i.e. extreme political volatility wrt COVID-19.
  • In the current political climate, "maintaining lockdown" is seen as a democratic policy and "opening the country" as a republican one. This may well lead to California erring on the side of ending lockdown too late, purely for tribal signaling.
In short: Predicting the end of the Californian lockdown is basically impossible, but I expect it to happen late rather than early.

-2142084741906237812.jpg

to make the call more fun

edit2: reading it more - think this came from a someone critical of tesla but still pretty funny

Last edited:
Unless I misunderstand the SP500 rules, I believe we qualify for SP500 if we hit -263M or better next quarter. That would put us at 3 of 4 profitable quarters, and 1 million positive for the year. A 4rth profitable quarter would just be....excessive, quite how we like it but hey I like the low bar. Makes it very easy to hit next Quarter....not to mention those, was it 17k cars in transit we get to deliver??
Am I wrong here?
You are incorrect, most recent quarter should be GAAP positive, along with sum of previous 4.
https://us.spindices.com/documents/methodologies/methodology-sp-us-indices.pdf

I have been too cautious going into earnings more often that I'd like to admit. Sold some core shares going into Q3 2019 and bought back quickly with egg on my face. This time I kept all shares but did sell off half my options, so profited but left money on the table. Sometimes it's good to not be greedy.
This time I knew it's going to be a sure beat given the lowball offer ws had for tsla er. But I only dared to add 300 shares and sold 2 $800 options expiring this Friday. Got burned multiple times in the past when all in, still have scars left

not enough. need to post *any* profit next quarter to make it. gonna be hard with the shutdown. might have to wait until Q3 or beyond, depending on how devastating Q2 ends up being.

I think it's too soon to say with any certainty that Tesla can't pull a small profit this quarter for SP500 inclusion. Most of the US workers are currently furloughed and Tesla doesn't have to buy parts for cars that aren't built. These two things are normally the largest expenses. Then we have the Shangai factory cranking out Model 3's with great margins. And we know Tesla has a bunch of unsold inventory that could be shipped to Europe to unlock FCA millions. And of course, FSD revenues could be pretty large.

I think it might come down to whether Musk decides to hit Q2 profitability or not. Because there is a lot they can do to move the needle one way or the other.