Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newsom struck an optimistic tone today. He says the data is giving them confidence and that he will be presenting changes in a matter of days that will be very helpful in restarting businesses. I get the feeling he will guide to beginning Phase 2 in limited ways next week. I would think that would include manufacturing but even if it does, no way to know how stubborn Alameda we remain.

The value of this forum has been on the decline but today it's worthless. I'm taking a break. It's clear there is no room for any opinion aside from "everything is perfect put all your cash in TSLA and trust Elon 100%". Reminds me of the opposite of TSLAQ.

I ask you to reconsider. I don't think the value of this thread has suddenly declined. From my point of view, it's been like this for years. It is an echo chamber with many people that believe Tesla / Elon Musk cannot make mistakes. I saw that in FactChecking's posts. Everything was spun as "4D chess" and given long explanations of how whatever move was happening was good for Tesla. Closing all stores was a genius move! Changing direction and keeping stores open was a genius move! etc. However, there was still a bunch of good analysis and useful info in FactChecking's posts that added value to this thread.

I see the bias here. I see people suddenly trust the news about something not related to Tesla but will be quick to tell you there is a bias in the news about anything related to Tesla. I've been laughing today whenever I see, "Maybe Elon's twitter was hacked". No, it likely wasn't. In fact, in the history of claims of "hacked" accounts, I haven't seen one I believed was actually hacked. People simply regret what they said on social media while emotional / drunk / high / whatever and then try to lie and claim they were "hacked".

All of that said, I know of no other place on the internet to get good information regarding Tesla than this thread. There are people I've had disagreements with, but I still value their views and have learned from them. I do wish some of the people that had been regular posters back when I joined (early 2016) were still posting frequently. It was my impression that there was more analysis and less emotion in this thread back then. I'm glad Curt and PapaFox are still participating.

So, in short, I don't think the thread has really changed. I think, as a result of Elon's tweets today, you're now seeing this thread as it has always been. There will always be people that believe Elon is somehow masterminding an amazing game of 4D chess where he is 27 moves ahead, instead of seeing a human lashing out emotionally when he's upset. I think we all agree he is brilliant. However, I've worked with geniuses in the past and know they're human, too, and don't know everything about everything.

I don't like the tweets. I don't like that Elon is buying into conspiracy theory instead of science, but he has a history of doubling down rather than admit he made a mistake.

I think Tesla is stronger than it has ever been before and so I haven't sold a share, and I'm way over where I should be if you agree with diversification.

So, please reconsider leaving. Completely understand the need for a break, but also know I have found value in your posts here.

I get that many people here still consider Elon essential to the business and want to rationalize his behavior, but at a minimum you should be pretty concerned about his flagrant disregard for the SEC settlement and the absolute sugarstorm of shareholder lawsuits he just exposed himself and the company to.

They are bound by the agreement to respond with "evidence of compliance" with the "mandatory procedures regarding pre-approval of any such communications that could reasonably contain information material to the Company or its shareholders" set out by the company after the settlement. If he can't produce "written evidence of compliance in the form of a narrative" compatible with the established policy regarding his tweet this morning, the SEC probably has the grounds for further action. We are probably stuck with this controversy until either 1) battery day or 2) a superseding controversy.

is kid of funny how these members (shorts) with a few post come out the blue all the sudden and post in this thread.

I get that many people here still consider Elon essential to the business and want to rationalize his behavior, but at a minimum you should be pretty concerned about his flagrant disregard for the SEC settlement and the absolute sugarstorm of shareholder lawsuits he just exposed himself and the company to.

They are bound by the agreement to respond with "evidence of compliance" with the "mandatory procedures regarding pre-approval of any such communications that could reasonably contain information material to the Company or its shareholders" set out by the company after the settlement. If he can't produce "written evidence of compliance in the form of a narrative" compatible with the established policy regarding his tweet this morning, the SEC probably has the grounds for further action. We are probably stuck with this controversy until either 1) battery day or 2) a superseding controversy.

he already replied to WSJ in an email that the tweet was not vetted.

Yeah, it is crazy seeing the cult mentality in this thread.
You're a short timer, with a narrow horizon, we get that. But why are you here on the INVESTORS thread? $40 moves? Give me a break. SP plunged $100 yesterday on good News, where was your cult mentality then?

Hint I don't give 2FFs about your short term losses. Play Vegas if you want games.

This is about the future of sustainable energy, and whether humanity has a better future, or worse. Your style of short term thinking literally created this mess. Non respecto.

Elon is trying to fix it, and is willing to die trying. Respect.

If you do then feel free to enlighten us. I see an erratic CEO dipping back into how he was before the past year of stability and it concerns me.

I could have phrased that better. When I said you have no idea what's going on here I meant "we" don't know the reasons for Elon's actions. To say the reason is "obvious" is just not accurate.

Reactions: 2Pearls and avoigt
I could have phrased that better. When I said you have no idea what's going on here I meant "we" don't know the reasons for Elon's actions. To say the reason is "obvious" is just not accurate.

have you been following his twitter account? he's made it clear over and over from the start to now accusing doctors of lying and death toll being fake. I mean this is just willful blindness.

I also dare anyone to pull the weak long or "not a real believer" crap with me. I've been an evangelist for Tesla for years. I've spent countless hours of my own personal time defending and proselyting for tesla, attended countless events to show off their products, given rides to so many people to convince them to buy one, helped out with deliveries at my local SC etc.

Srsly. The folks (most of whom seem to have joined in 2018 or more recently, lol) tossing out the 'weak long' nomenclature really show themselves to be not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. Lots of us have been closer to the company / more concrete supporters of the company / etc etc etc for a very long time. And there are many here that make me look like a neophyte.

Lol, GTFO shortie. The next Starship is leaving for Golgafrinchan. Be on it.

Like this guy, for one. Step back from the edge, cool off, and try to take in viewpoints other than the one you're so closely tied to. Your'e embarrassing yourself bigly.

The value of this forum has been on the decline but today it's worthless. I'm taking a break. It's clear there is no room for any opinion aside from "everything is perfect put all your cash in TSLA and trust Elon 100%". Reminds me of the opposite of TSLAQ.

I'm not going anywhere (literally, or figuratively), but it really has become an echo chamber that isn't nearly as far from the TSLAQ folks as I'd like it to be, or as I remember it being even as recently as six months ago. It's not healthy, and it's a shame, as this was/is? the best Tesla-related forum on the interwebs, by far.

I have been long Tesla, shares only, no margin, for many years. My average cost is under $40. I have been there for the highs (sometimes literally) and lows. One fundamental part of my investment thesis is a belief that Elon Musk is a once-in-a-generation leader. This belief is being tested today. The mental gymnastics this thread is going through to justify the tweets, to explain what they “really mean” and shouting down anyone with the temerity to question them is sad. When you try to defend the indefensible, you yourself lose credibility. Why is it so hard to accept that Musk is capable of making mistakes?

Amen. The Thai incident was bad enough, and this feels like a repeat when I had hoped that Musk had grown as a person since then.

I don’t like his comments on C19 but overlooked that as I felt people can disagree and still respect one another. I get the argument that the cure might be worse than the disease and that there are ways, and a pressing need, of safely resuming some economic activity. I’m also well aware that Musk is certainly much better informed than I am on the matter, and so I trusted him. When he started using dangerous language — and yes, words and phrasing do matter (“sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can f*** me up for life”) — I paused. These latest tweets have me fundamentally reassess my investment in Tesla for the first time.

I owe my roughly 20x gains to Musk, of that I’m certain. More importantly, the world is a better place and on a better path because of Musk's endeavours. The fact that the stock is down a bit today is irrelevant to me. TSLA always swings wildly. What has changed is the respect I have for Musk has been dented.

Double amen.

To quote my mother, “I’m not angry, just disappointed.”

Triple amen.

If you’re mad right now

1. You put all your eggs in one basket (lol)
2. Short sighted and thought you were going to get rich quick

Another post that's become far too typical here, and such surface-level thinking/discourse is a big step down from what this forum used to routinely provide. The post quoted above is objectively incorrect on its face, and yet it's representative of the groupthink lately.

I heard climate change deniers says the exactly same things too. I remember them cheer when some of the predictions turns out wrong. I remember them claiming the science is not settled. I remember them saying nobody knows whether EV reduce emissions.

I agree with this new virus the science is truly not settled yet. And I agree with argument of re-open with caution and protection.

But what he did is much more than that. He has been proven wrong about his prediction that we will see very few death by end of April. Now he began to attack the death numbers due to his confirmation bias, as if the body trucks and massive grave and the overwhelmed cremation workers in Wuhan are all fake.

The death numbers are hard to make right, there are under and over reporting at the same time but counting covid-19 related cases toward covid-19 is generally accepted way of counting. That's how flu deaths are counted. that should be the way to count covid-19 cases if we are to compare against flu

This. I've got multiple close friends and family members in the medical field, and in the field of infectious disease specifically. What Remus says is spot-on. Musk isn't calling attention to the little-seen truths of this pandemic. He's simply wrong, and digging deeper and deeper into the conspiracy. He's got rational reasons for pushing to open up in a safe manner (and I'd love to see him advocate for them effectively, in a grown-up manner!), but he undermines his cause by associating with fringe conspiracy elements.

Lots of emotions here just because Elon tweets something some don't understand?

Or is it that the SP is $75 down?

Come on, Alex. I expect better from you.

To try to explain what gets me going about these tweets--it's not the immediate impact on the stock, so much as the fact that Elon went about this in a way that he knew (remember, he's a genius, right?) would immediately have a significant negative impact on the stock. He knew it would cause lots of folks, including employees and investors, to question his judgment. And frankly, he should have known there are far better ways to do this.

Want to rage-tweet about how keeping things (and specifically Fremont) closed is too damaging, and could instead be handled better by opening with <insert appropriate mitigations here>? Great! Have someone at Tesla draft up a blog post, then rage-tweet with a reference to the post. At least then he's tweeting with a clear, rational purpose, even if he does it in a Muskian way. I'm fully on-board with that.

As it stands, Musk's recent public comments on the topic have all been either rage tweets, or the conference call audio version of a rage tweet.

The consensus here is that Musk did this to call massive attention to how poorly the local / regional / state governments are handling the situation. Great. There are ways to do that that don't necessarily involve a massive self-own against his employees and the folks most in Musk's corner. Musk is the longest-tenured automotive CEO, he's now the head of a company with many tens of thousands of employees, and he needs to know better.

That's the crux of why this situation sucks. I couldn't care less about the paper dollars that evaporated today in my account. They'll be back, I'm confident. The trust in Musk's ability to control his emotions, and to lead a public company--that's what's most damaged here.

Newsom is singing different tune today.

WATCH LIVE: Gov. Gavin Newsom says California may be 'days, not weeks' from further reopening

"We're getting very close to making very meaningful augmentations to that stay-at-home order. We said 'weeks, not months' about four or five days ago. I want to say 'many days, not weeks.' As long as we continue to be prudent and thoughtful in certain modifications, I think we'll be making some announcements."

Many of you may experience the first major pandemic in your life. This is my 2nd time. The first time was SARS and a classmate of mine died in the college.

The only thing I could offer you is that this will go away, become the norm of life -- just like another H1N1 virus that ravages in 1981 and now we take it as part of our life.

People are emotional, so it takes time to digest rational thinking.

That's all I could offer to my fellow investors. Whether we are agreeing or disagreeing on some principles, we all believe the necessity of sustainable energy and inter-planet species, to preserve the existence of human races. COVID won't wipe out humans, but climate change and other existential threat will.

My very own reason to support Tesla is to preserve the very civilization we have, not being wiped out on this planet.

Unfortunately, I am too chicken and weak to do both things, and only seems a smart maniac could do it. Here is Elon's role to play. He will never be reasonable because his mission is to break status quo. It is not for us who living here comfortably to understand or judge, since I know too well I cannot sustain the same level of stress and pain that he had previously endured. I probably would just kill myself.

Our health care system is collapsing not due to COVID, but due to hospital unable to offer financial support.
Unfortunately, MSMs headline stopped at "our health care system is collapsing" and leaving out the context.

If you have went through poverty, you knew living could sometime worse than dying. It drove people insane.

Back to investment topic, we will have a lot of roller coaster ride.
But we are here because of Elon's visions, not because of his temporal tweets.
The sum of a human beings is not judged by the tweets but actions.

Feynman did way more drugs and had sexed with more women than Elon. He even wrote it down in his memoir.
But there is no denial that his positive contribution on physics and moving human civilization forward.

And he could play the bongos!

Srsly. The folks (most of whom seem to have joined in 2018 or more recently, lol) tossing out the 'weak long' nomenclature really show themselves to be not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. Lots of us have been closer to the company / more concrete supporters of the company / etc etc etc for a very long time. And there are many here that make me look like a neophyte.

Like this guy, for one. Step back from the edge, cool off, and try to take in viewpoints other than the one you're so closely tied to. Your'e embarrassing yourself bigly.

I'm not going anywhere (literally, or figuratively), but it really has become an echo chamber that isn't nearly as far from the TSLAQ folks as I'd like it to be, or as I remember it being even as recently as six months ago. It's not healthy, and it's a shame, as this was/is? the best Tesla-related forum on the interwebs, by far.

Amen. The Thai incident was bad enough, and this feels like a repeat when I had hoped that Musk had grown as a person since then.

Double amen.

Triple amen.

Another post that's become far too typical here, and such surface-level thinking/discourse is a big step down from what this forum used to routinely provide. The post quoted above is objectively incorrect on its face, and yet it's representative of the groupthink lately.

This. I've got multiple close friends and family members in the medical field, and in the field of infectious disease specifically. What Remus says is spot-on. Musk isn't calling attention to the little-seen truths of this pandemic. He's simply wrong, and digging deeper and deeper into the conspiracy. He's got rational reasons for pushing to open up in a safe manner (and I'd love to see him advocate for them effectively, in a grown-up manner!), but he undermines his cause by associating with fringe conspiracy elements.

To try to explain what gets me going about these tweets--it's not the immediate impact on the stock, so much as the fact that Elon went about this in a way that he knew (remember, he's a genius, right?) would immediately have a significant negative impact on the stock. He knew it would cause lots of folks, including employees and investors, to question his judgment. And frankly, he should have known there are far better ways to do this.

Want to rage-tweet about how keeping things (and specifically Fremont) closed is too damaging, and could instead be handled better by opening with <insert appropriate mitigations here>? Great! Have someone at Tesla draft up a blog post, then rage-tweet with a reference to the post. At least then he's tweeting with a clear, rational purpose, even if he does it in a Muskian way. I'm fully on-board with that.

As it stands, Musk's recent public comments on the topic have all been either rage tweets, or the conference call audio version of a rage tweet.

The consensus here is that Musk did this to call massive attention to how poorly the local / regional / state governments are handling the situation. Great. There are ways to do that that don't necessarily involve a massive self-own against his employees and the folks most in Musk's corner. Musk is the longest-tenured automotive CEO, he's now the head of a company with many tens of thousands of employees, and he needs to know better.

That's the crux of why this situation sucks. I couldn't care less about the paper dollars that evaporated today in my account. They'll be back, I'm confident. The trust in Musk's ability to control his emotions, and to lead a public company--that's what's most damaged here.

>Another post that's become far too typical here, and such surface-level thinking/discourse is a big step down from what this forum used to routinely provide. The post quoted above is objectively incorrect on its face, and yet it's representative of the groupthink lately.

Also though

> Elon is so emotional. I lost confidence in Elon because of the words in his tweets

Double amen.

Triple amen.

Quadruple, quintuple, sextuple amen. To all of this.