Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Bay Area, many business are allowed to open next week, including my Optometry Clinic, and my dentist. So I can understand Elon's frustration.

so you start accusing doctors of being greedy for money to intubate, death tolls being fake when all evidence points to the contrary? It's one thing for Elon to believe re-opening is safe, it's another to repeatedly wrongfully downplay the virus and then embrace conspiracy theories talking about fascism. one can make a logical, coherent argument or embrace 4chan level conspiracy theories and go on emotional rants imperiling his CEO position and destroying the brand.

Okay...bye. If you are still complaining about a doubling of the share price from 6 months ago, good luck on finding something else out there. Sure, there are a few. But it’s easy to see after the fact.
Okay I don't know why there are so many of this "you should be grateful that Tesla stock has such good returns" posts.

Many long term investors were stuck in a trading cycle between 180-380 for 5 freaken YEARS. People here waited as patiently as they could, thinking that their bull thesis has to be right. Tsla finally had a huge break out of the trading pattern and you can't fault people for being furious that it's being sabotaged by Elon's erratic behavior. There are so many uncertainty right now about Covid, future demand, factory open, etc etc that there has been a huge pit in people's stomach ever since we closed the U.S. Even with a V shape recovery for Tesla's stock, there are good reasons to be optimistically cautious given the circumstances. Tesla just had a knock out earnings, and this stock is all about momentum. People want every upward momentum possible since MM has been manipulating this stock so hard plus macro uncertainty. So yeah...Elon's tweet doesn't help at all at a time like this. People literally are furious because they have been fighting for this company for the past 5 stinking years hoping for today and it's heart breaking to have the CEO think the stock is overvalued.

I get that many people here still consider Elon essential to the business and want to rationalize his behavior, but at a minimum you should be pretty concerned about his flagrant disregard for the SEC settlement and the absolute sugarstorm of shareholder lawsuits he just exposed himself and the company to.

They are bound by the agreement to respond with "evidence of compliance" with the "mandatory procedures regarding pre-approval of any such communications that could reasonably contain information material to the Company or its shareholders" set out by the company after the settlement. If he can't produce "written evidence of compliance in the form of a narrative" compatible with the established policy regarding his tweet this morning, the SEC probably has the grounds for further action. We are probably stuck with this controversy until either 1) battery day or 2) a superseding controversy.
Lot of disagrees for this post, but I actually agree. His tweets, at times, certainly do not help the company, writ large. I would rather he didn't tweet as often, but I am willing to live with it considering the amazing companies he has developed and due to the fact that he ads tremendous shareholder value, overall.

I'm a long-time huge fan of Elon, and Tesla and its products. I'm a long-term TSLA investor.

Elon's tweets during the initial M3 ramp were very troubling, but I felt they could be excused based on the incredible pressure he was under, together with massive losses of sleep, and perhaps bet-the-company and bet-his-net-worth consequences.

Today's tweets in their entirety are worse than those, and with much less excuse. I get how frustrating it is for Fremont to be shut down, for him personally, his company and his employees, but there is nothing bet-the-company about the current situation. A few more weeks of closure will not fundamentally change anything.

To have the CEO and person-in-control be this publicly unstable is super troubling. It caused me to deleverage most of my TSLA stake today. I don't think this threatens Tesla or TSLA long term, but I don't want my net worth speculatively bet on something led this unstably.

Thank you, Elon, for everything you have done to bring Tesla to this point. It's an astonishing accomplishment. I hope that you regain your stability soon and can lead Tesla for the next chapters which are sure to be as exciting as the first ones.

In my opinion, and it's only mine, Elon should lose title of CEO now, and be installed as a Chief Products Officer. That way he gets to keep 80% of influence, yet, be a bit less visible outside of company. Get Jerome in the CEO seat. He's both capable and able to collaborate well with Elon.

At least we don't get diluted for few years, until Elon takes back role of the Chairman and then can cash in all achievements. I think this would be good for all, shareholders, employees, Elon included. It's only media that may suffer some, as they'll have less colourful material.

The count is now that Elon did tweet in the last years 5 times that the stock price is too high or overvalued.

Excluding other 4 times Baird counted makes 9 times in total so he repeated what he said before over time quite often. Stock went up for good reasons and will continue to do so including ups and downs of course :D

Third Row Tesla Podcast on Twitter

I remember a few of them but they don't matter. They did not before and they do not today. :cool:

A CEO can have an opinion. :)

I ask you to reconsider. I don't think the value of this thread has suddenly declined. From my point of view, it's been like this for years. It is an echo chamber with many people that believe Tesla / Elon Musk cannot make mistakes. I saw that in FactChecking's posts. Everything was spun as "4D chess" and given long explanations of how whatever move was happening was good for Tesla. Closing all stores was a genius move! Changing direction and keeping stores open was a genius move! etc. However, there was still a bunch of good analysis and useful info in FactChecking's posts that added value to this thread.

I see the bias here. I see people suddenly trust the news about something not related to Tesla but will be quick to tell you there is a bias in the news about anything related to Tesla. I've been laughing today whenever I see, "Maybe Elon's twitter was hacked". No, it likely wasn't. In fact, in the history of claims of "hacked" accounts, I haven't seen one I believed was actually hacked. People simply regret what they said on social media while emotional / drunk / high / whatever and then try to lie and claim they were "hacked".

All of that said, I know of no other place on the internet to get good information regarding Tesla than this thread. There are people I've had disagreements with, but I still value their views and have learned from them. I do wish some of the people that had been regular posters back when I joined (early 2016) were still posting frequently. It was my impression that there was more analysis and less emotion in this thread back then. I'm glad Curt and PapaFox are still participating.

So, in short, I don't think the thread has really changed. I think, as a result of Elon's tweets today, you're now seeing this thread as it has always been. There will always be people that believe Elon is somehow masterminding an amazing game of 4D chess where he is 27 moves ahead, instead of seeing a human lashing out emotionally when he's upset. I think we all agree he is brilliant. However, I've worked with geniuses in the past and know they're human, too, and don't know everything about everything.

I don't like the tweets. I don't like that Elon is buying into conspiracy theory instead of science, but he has a history of doubling down rather than admit he made a mistake.

I think Tesla is stronger than it has ever been before and so I haven't sold a share, and I'm way over where I should be if you agree with diversification.

So, please reconsider leaving. Completely understand the need for a break, but also know I have found value in your posts here.
Best post of the week.

Non-engineers -

I am very disappointed in Elon. I’ve worked middle management all of my life. This is not how you treat anyone.
I sold 60%. Not sure I'll buy back, even if it goes substantially lower. I am the poster child for long term investing, but Elon's disrespect for his shareholders has put me (partially) over the edge.
Pls go all in and sell every
Best post of the week.
for the emotional ones for sure

For those asking "why", of course it's due to Elon. There is no need to provide detailed reasoning, as other here have already done so.

Sorry to see you do this, but glad you booked profits. My number 1 rule is never regret profits no matter how large or small. With that said, I think people need to calm down and relax. The knee jerk reaction to the tweets is pretty crazy and just as crazy as the tweets themselves.

Tesla is 30K deep in people. Yes, Elon is incredibly important and he most certainly is allowed an outlet of mania here and there- do I agree that he did this publicly- definitely not. Do I think it's something to be worried about fundamentally- not at all. To put it into context: Covid, having a baby potentially next week, and the immense pressure he personally feels for the company I can't blame the guy. I also think context isn't being focused on enough and if it were people wouldn't be flipping out as much.

The count is now that Elon did tweet in the last years 5 times that the stock price is too high or overvalued.

Excluding other 4 times Baird counted makes 9 times in total so he repeated what he said before over time quite often. Stock went up for good reasons and will continue to do so including ups and downs of course :D

Third Row Tesla Podcast on Twitter

I remember a few of them but they don't matter. They did not before and they do not today. :cool:

A CEO can have an opinion. :)

Every time he said the stock price is too high, he say them with context. Our stock price is too high based on valuation today but not future valuation..okay sure. Or out stock price is really high so we need to work as hard as we can to deserve such valuation. Okay.

What is the context today? If he were to say the value of our stock is too high if Fremont continue to close with no end in sight then okay. It's really hard to find the context besides he said it because other people thought he's trying to pump the stock price and putting people's life at risk.