Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I don't see how Electrek's use of clickbaiting is any worse than other news sites. Fred ends most of his articles by disclosing he's long TSLA. A man's got to eat after all, so I don't see anything wrong with clickbaiting since everybody does it.

That's why I think it's OK to use crystal meth or heroin if you live in public housing. Because everyone does it. :rolleyes:

How do you figure it's the State's loss? The taxes are going to get paid regardless of who owns the houses. In fact, if the homes have appreciated since Elon bought them, the State will probably get more taxes than if he held them. Elon is doing this for himself, not to punish CA or the County.
It's not house taxes, it State income tax on his 1st tranche. If he moves his primary residence to a state like say, TX, that'd change I think. But don't ask me, ask a '49er...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Musk criticized for ‘fascism' rant, but fans love it

On Ford Motor Co.'s earnings call last week, CEO Jim Hackett said this: "Safety is of the utmost concern in a pandemic; yours, your loved ones and the people you work with. The communities you live in and amazingly all other humans you interact with, their safety guarantees your safety."

Elon Musk had a much different message on Tesla's earnings call the next day: "This is fascist. This isn't democratic. This isn't freedom. Give people back their goddamn freedom."

MUSK5PMUG-01_i.jpg

Musk: People need freedom

The Tesla CEO, who in March called concerns over the coronavirus "dumb" and had to be ordered by county officials to close the company's California plant after claiming it to be an essential business, unloaded on states requiring people to remain in their homes to slow the spread of COVID-19.

The crisis prevented Tesla from achieving a first-quarter delivery record, though it didn't stop the company from posting a third consecutive profit.

That’s hilarious. It just demonstrates once again the polar opposite of OEMs to Tesla.

*We* already know Elon cares deeply for humanity. (If you don’t know that or question that - scroll.) On the other hand, do *we* really believe Hackett? Have the actions of Ford over the decades proven to *us* they care about humanity? Meh.

Who saw this stock price move coming??? I can't claim to be among them. I thought best case scenario would be for the stock to stay roughly in a range of where it closed on Friday.

I didn't. I would assume it would be down today and stay down. But the spike up of ~ 6% is surprising. Trying to find out what's the reason for it. But if it's just a bounce after all that selling from $880 in aftermarket earnings, then I'll understand. Looks like other tech stocks are generally up today. So perhaps people are moving funds around to the tech side after Buffet's announcement of selling airline stocks.

The small business loan requires owners to spend it by mid-June to be forgiven. However, the restrictions assume the business could be up and running before mid-June.

Given this hard constraint, Fremont should be operated before mid-June. We probably could assume mid-June is the upper bound.

I will let others to gauge what that means to our delivery number.

Some Small Businesses That Got Aid Fear the Rules Too Much to Spend It

I didn't. I would assume it would be down today and stay down. But the spike up of ~ 6% is surprising. Trying to find out what's the reason for it. But if it's just a bounce after all that selling from $880 in aftermarket earnings, then I'll understand. Looks like other tech stocks are generally up today. So perhaps people are moving funds around to the tech side after Buffet's announcement of selling airline stocks.
Shhh... Don’t tell Elon. SP getting too high again...

Q1 earnings report was outstanding. Tesla are the only profitable car company in the world right now, and that was with the last 2 weeks production not being delivered!

Fundamentals matter.

Investors were spooked by Elon's comment on Friday, but we have to realize that when Elon says things like that, it is for a political reason. He usually says the stock price is too high when trying to convince people that Tesla has not made it yet, is still not mature and will be hurt by lockdowns/regulations etc.

If we get an announcement that Freemont will be opening in the next 2 weeks then stock price could break $1,000, if nothing after 2 weeks, then it could go the other way....

It's not house taxes, it State income tax on his 1st tranche. If he moves his primary residence to a state like say, TX, that'd change I think. But don't ask me, ask a '48er...

Cheers!

Yeah, the California FTB is notoriously aggressive in residence determination for obvious reasons. Long story short, if he does pursue changing residence his tax lawyers might start shopping for a new yacht. :)

A: To determine residency, the FTB uses the “closest connection test” which involves evaluating the following 19 factors to determine the location of your main contacts:

1. The location of your largest and most expensive residential real property
  2. Where your spouse and children live
  3. Where your children attend school
  4. Where you claim your homeowners property tax exemption
  5. Where most of your phone calls are made from
  6. The number of days you spend in California as opposed to the number of days you spend elsewhere (and why you spend your time here or there, e.g., business or pleasure)
  7. Where you file your federal and state tax returns, and what address you list as your residence on those returns
  8. The location of your bank accounts
  9. The origination point of your checking and credit card transactions
  10. Where you maintain your social, religious and professional memberships
  11. Where you register your automobile(s)
  12. The state that issued your driver’s license
  13. The state where you vote
  14. Where your doctor, dentist, accountant, and attorney is located
  15. Where you are employed
  16. Where your business is located
  17. The state in which you hold your professional license(s)
  18. The location of your investment real property
  19. Affidavits from individuals discussing your residency

Like this guy, for one. Step back from the edge, cool off, and try to take in viewpoints other than the one you're so closely tied to. Your'e embarrassing yourself bigly.

Well, that aged poorly. Thanks for the advice though. SP up $50.

genewilder-ww-meme-end.jpg

Here's a life lesson: some things are just Right or Wrong, in and of themselves. You don't need to overthink it, or scramble to find nuance. This is about CLIMATE CHANGE, and whether we can change our mine'n'burn economy. The only thing at stake is humanity's future.

There are issues on which people of good principle are compelled to make a stand. Win or Lose, go down FIGHTING, because it matters. To do otherwise is to exhibit moral cowardice. This fight is against a ruthless foe, who would gladly trade your children's tomorrows for a dollar today.

Milquetoast measures, compromise, and appeasment has not, and will never work. That approach has given us is 23 straight years of feckless Climate Conferences, and the EPA fighting to take away California's right to breath clean air.

Government is useless because they are pwned by Big Carbon. We need ACTION. Tesla CAN NOT fail. This is the fight of your life, even if you don't realize it. By then, it will be too late.

#NotEmbarrassed #TeamElon

Last edited:
Q1 earnings report was outstanding. Tesla are the only profitable car company in the world right now, and that was with the last 2 weeks production not being delivered!

Fundamentals matter.

Investors were spooked by Elon's comment on Friday, but we have to realize that when Elon says things like that, it is for a political reason. He usually says the stock price is too high when trying to convince people that Tesla has not made it yet, is still not mature and will be hurt by lockdowns/regulations etc.

If we get an announcement that Freemont will be opening in the next 2 weeks then stock price could break $1,000, if nothing after 2 weeks, then it could go the other way....

I agree with the earnings being excellent where it wasn't crapped on. But what makes me not hold onto TSLA for the time being is that they're being crippled by stay at home orders until the end of May. If Tesla were to be allowed open sooner, I'd jump back in.

I agree with the earnings being excellent where it wasn't crapped on. But what makes me not hold onto TSLA for the time being is that they're being crippled by stay at home orders until the end of May. If Tesla were to be allowed open sooner, I'd jump back in.

I’d rather pick up TSLA before they were allowed to open up. Production is battery constrained, and Nevada is opening. As long as they have the batteries, they have enough products they can build to net a profit.