Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So where do parts come from? If from Asia, higher cost of transport and time delay in getting to a factory other than West Coast.

I just got a new iPad and tracked the shipping from China to Houston. Took about a week to travel China - South Korea - Alaska then two days to Houston. I doubt it would have gotten to California any faster (or cheaper).

I know some of Apple’s products are flown to customers from China, but are Tesla’s auto parts? Or are they shipped in bulk orders via shipping container? I would think knowing a production run you could order sufficient forward quantity and have it shipped via container if it saves the company money.

Elon is the longest-serving CEO in the auto business. Tesla has had its CEO longer than any other competing automaker has had their CEO. Isn't that stability? The other automakers are switching out their CEOs as fast as Australia or the UK change their Prime Ministers. (OUCH!)

Each time the other automakers get a new CEO, there is a change in the mission of the company. Tesla's mission has been the exact same mission since 2008 or so. This results in massive financial savings and solidity of purpose for Tesla. Tesla workers never need to be told about new directions or priorities. At Tesla, multi-year plans for factory construction never need to be changed. That's quite an advantage over the other automakers.

Would you prefer Tesla gets a new CEO that doesn't quite understand what has been going on?

Well said.

Also many CEOs never believed their own companies nor put their own fortune on the line.

Hackett has continued selling his stocks on regular basis:
Insider Trading - HACKETT JAMES P - Form 4 SEC Filings

Elon Musk did the opposite, he has been regularly buying shares:
Insider Trading - Musk Elon - Form 4 SEC Filings

I know some of Apple’s products are flown to customers from China, but are Tesla’s auto parts? Or are they shipped in bulk orders via shipping container? I would think knowing a production run you could order sufficient forward quantity and have it shipped via container if it saves the company money.
If it’s by ship, then the extra couple of days to truck containers inland vs truck them to Fremont would be pretty negligible, I would think.

Reactions: HG Wells
Spastic is a better description IMO.

If you are long, just fasten your seat belt and enjoy the ride. It's well worth it.

If you are trying to time the market and trade this stock, I suggest wasting your time and money on something else.

I'd LOVE to time the market and make the big bucks!
If I had throw-away bucks, I'd give it a shot!
Instead, I'll just buy a few shares here and there and hold.

• Love
Reactions: EVCollies
I’m an electrical Inspector for the City of Los Angeles — specifically I have been assigned to the Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Bel Air, and the Beverly Hills adjacent areas. For the past several years the construction activity has been staggering. Frequently, when I show up at construction sites for inspection, I am approached by homeowners that complain about the number of vehicles parked on their street. They argue that the number of construction workers —driving into and parking in their neighborhoods — prevents from being able get in and out of their homes. Construction in West Los Angeles has been a booming.

As an inspector, I’ve held a front-row seat to this construction wave. I’ve watched as 1960s and 1970s construction was demolished and replaced with new homes. In almost all cases, I watched as new single family homes with double, triple and sometimes four times the square footage were built to replace the old. With new architecture, and new technology such as tankless water heaters, EV charging, renewable energy, energy efficient insulation and building materials, the neighborhoods of West Los Angeles have changed. I’m not a realtor but I can only imagine that replacing older homes with larger better appointed homes will significantly increase property values.

Recently (before shelter/in-place) my wife and I drove from our home north of the San Fernando Valley south down the 405 freeway exiting at Sunset Boulevard. We were driving to Malibu to have lunch at a restaurant called Moonshadows. A Sunday drive and lunch on the beach, we meandered down Sunset from the 405 to the Pacific Coast Highway. Neighborhoods that I routinely work during the week. The difference on Sunday was amazing, Sunset was peppered with open house signs from the 405 to PCH. I was left wondering if the construction boom had not overplayed its hand. I wondered if the law of supply and demand would affect the sales of these homes.

I’ve always believed that the prosperity of West Los Angeles played a significant role in the Tesla revolution. When I first considered investing in Tesla, I asked my wife: How many folks can afford a $130,000 car? She replied, I sell $14,000 handbags. There are more than enough folks right here in Los Angeles. Eight years down the road, I can only say, my wife was right. Teslas are common in Los Angeles.

I suppose it’s my blue collar background, I want to ask her: How many folks can buy multi-million dollar homes in the Pacific Palisades?

Off topic?

Wow, my old stomping grounds! I did high-end custom residential (and some commercial) cabinetry all over those places - and, one house on the cliff directly over MoonShadows. I spent the last 10 years of my career up in Ventura, and stayed out of LA County, no regrets.
And yes, there are a LOT of people with the money to afford Teslas. Same up in Seattle, I'm finding.

That presumes that money = happiness. It does not. If you’re unhappy without money, you’ll be unhappy with money. You may experience less stress in certain areas of life with the money, but you won’t be happy.

Truth.

That's only true to a degree. A lack of money can often be the entire reason for unhappiness. Poor housing and environment, or having to do dull and unpleasant work, due to a lack of money will make a lot of people very unhappy. I know this personally as I used to be poor and it made me miserable and unhappy in the extreme. Since building enough wealth to not have to work at a job I dislike, and now living in a much nicer house and area I am generally very happy and contented.

Some people are indeed just miserable b*****ds regardless of money, but money, if you know how to manage it well, really does often bring happiness with it.

Ok now I get it. Listening to NPR. Top story: US senate to reconvene, but they're not gonna wear masks.

Works for me. I hope there's a lot of good ol boy double handshakin goin on. And spray it don't say it.

/rant over
They have no reason to worry. They are the privileged ones. They will all be getting the 15 minute tests on a daily basis to make sure no one is infected.