Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW here’s the source article. However it doesn’t appear to add much. Tesla apparently wants permission to do business on the UK grid, and declined to comment on the application.

Tesla applies for UK electricity provider licence
Let us not forget, this is all likely stuff developed within SolarCIty. The Rive brothers put infinitely more effort into software and developing grid services platforms than they did figuring out an efficient sales model.

Might be a nice thing for Tesla lawyers to point to during the nonsense SCTY acquisition trial.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
Are you serious? These are the 2nd and 3rd most populous states and both are growing at a faster rate than California.

The American middle class has been under growing financial distress over the last couple of decades. People will do whatever is necessary to make the most of a bad situation. It doesn't mean they would choose Texas or Florida if they didn't have to decide based on what they could afford.

I wouldn’t be 100% sure. Tesla was on a different path early today. While all sectors were down they were going up. Now it may have caught in with macros into trading but Tesla showed early signs of fighting a sell off.

Looking at the pattern today for all the stocks I named, they were almost identical to Tesla's today. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary for these beta stocks.

• Helpful
Reactions: dw4ngg
It amazes me that there are people still trying to short tesla stock. If you just do the very simplest of looking at the stock versus its competitors, its kinda hilarious. Here is TSLA versus some other big car companies over the last 12 months :D
upload_2020-5-4_23-2-57.png

Whats interesting is not just that tesla clearly crushes the others, but that all the others actually having falling stock prices. Who the hell is holding GM or Ford stock now thinking "yup...this year, 2020... against all the odds, this is definitely the year it stops falling"

I'm new to investing, but clearly this stock is bi-polar.
Spastic is a better description IMO.

If you are long, just fasten your seat belt and enjoy the ride. It's well worth it.

If you are trying to time the market and trade this stock, I suggest wasting your time and money on something else.

Last edited:
I’m an electrical Inspector for the City of Los Angeles — specifically I have been assigned to the Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Bel Air, and the Beverly Hills adjacent areas. For the past several years the construction activity has been staggering. Frequently, when I show up at construction sites for inspection, I am approached by homeowners that complain about the number of vehicles parked on their street. They argue that the number of construction workers —driving into and parking in their neighborhoods — prevents from being able get in and out of their homes. Construction in West Los Angeles has been a booming.

As an inspector, I’ve held a front-row seat to this construction wave. I’ve watched as 1960s and 1970s construction was demolished and replaced with new homes. In almost all cases, I watched as new single family homes with double, triple and sometimes four times the square footage were built to replace the old. With new architecture, and new technology such as tankless water heaters, EV charging, renewable energy, energy efficient insulation and building materials, the neighborhoods of West Los Angeles have changed. I’m not a realtor but I can only imagine that replacing older homes with larger better appointed homes will significantly increase property values.

Recently (before shelter/in-place) my wife and I drove from our home north of the San Fernando Valley south down the 405 freeway exiting at Sunset Boulevard. We were driving to Malibu to have lunch at a restaurant called Moonshadows. A Sunday drive and lunch on the beach, we meandered down Sunset from the 405 to the Pacific Coast Highway. Neighborhoods that I routinely work during the week. The difference on Sunday was amazing, Sunset was peppered with open house signs from the 405 to PCH. I was left wondering if the construction boom had not overplayed its hand. I wondered if the law of supply and demand would affect the sales of these homes.

I’ve always believed that the prosperity of West Los Angeles played a significant role in the Tesla revolution. When I first considered investing in Tesla, I asked my wife: How many folks can afford a $130,000 car? She replied, I sell $14,000 handbags. There are more than enough folks right here in Los Angeles. Eight years down the road, I can only say, my wife was right. Teslas are common in Los Angeles.

I suppose it’s my blue collar background, I want to ask her: How many folks can buy multi-million dollar homes in the Pacific Palisades?

Off topic?

You're a short timer, with a narrow horizon, we get that. But why are you here on the INVESTORS thread? $40 moves? Give me a break. SP plunged $100 yesterday on good News, where was your cult mentality then?

Hint I don't give 2FFs about your short term losses. Play Vegas if you want games.

This is about the future of sustainable energy, and whether humanity has a better future, or worse. Your style of short term thinking literally created this mess. Non respecto.

Elon is trying to fix it, and is willing to die trying. Respect.

Cringe.

Actually, I'm in it for the long haul as well. That's why I would like a "somewhat" stable CEO (I know, I know, I shoulda known about ELon all along, brah!) Just don't understand the cult worship of the clearly unstable CEO of the company. I've always seen Elon as an amazing mind and innovator, but this past week has made me question a lot.

Cringe.

Actually, I'm in it for the long haul as well. That's why I would like a "somewhat" stable CEO (I know, I know, I shoulda known about ELon all along, brah!) Just don't understand the cult worship of the clearly unstable CEO of the company. I've always seen Elon as an amazing mind and innovator, but this past week has made me question a lot.

Over the last 5 years:

The S&P 500 has returned 34.44%
AAPL has returned 127.79%
TSLA has returned 230.22%

Any more questions?

Cringe.

Quite easy to invest in Apple. They've done well and continue to do well.

Speak for yourself! Oh, you did. There are several substantial benefits to living in, say, Austin or say, the Space Coast. Even Miami and Dallas have distinct benefits.

For the record I am a Native Son, born in SoCal, raised in the Bay area in my early years.
Many people move for many reasons. Generalizing really does not work well.

So where do parts come from? If from Asia, higher cost of transport and time delay in getting to a factory other than West Coast.

...Yes, there was some Covid disruption in Shanghai for less than two weeks in February. But the government gave serious assistance with Tesla worker PPE and safety procedures. They strongly supported the opening of the factory. That knowledge and experience obviously still exists within Tesla about how to safely run a factory in a pandemic. They could apply it with equal success at Fremont....

While I haven’t been to Shanghai, only seen video of the giga factory there, I have been to the Fremont factory and it is packed to the gills with equipment in cramped quarters especially in some sections of it. Shanghai looks to be widely open spaced in comparison. Also the Chinese govt had masks and other PPE to distribute to Tesla; whereas California has had trouble just getting enough for healthcare workers and emergency responders, let alone the other workers it has already deemed Essential. Still our grocery store workers and meat processors haven’t had supplies during this whole time to cover everyone, with workers getting sick and Covid spreading so fast places have had to close down, some to deep clean others saying they will stay closed. So I don’t see the two factories as being equal here.

Cringe.

Elon is the longest-serving CEO in the auto business. Tesla has had its CEO longer than any other competing automaker has had their CEO. Isn't that stability? The other automakers are switching out their CEOs as fast as Australia or the UK change their Prime Ministers. (OUCH!)

Each time the other automakers get a new CEO, there is a change in the mission of the company. Tesla's mission has been the exact same mission since 2008 or so. This results in massive financial savings and solidity of purpose for Tesla. Tesla workers never need to be told about new directions or priorities. At Tesla, multi-year plans for factory construction never need to be changed. That's quite an advantage over the other automakers.

Would you prefer Tesla gets a new CEO that doesn't quite understand what has been going on?

Why would you open up retail before a manufacturing facility with stringent controls and management? We're gonna let 16 year olds be the front line of prevention?

Guessing retail stores have inventory on shelves and ready for purchase. Only takes a few people in small Business retail to open their shops where as a factory is a different situation. They are trying to ease into the count and flow of people.