Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s funny so many people are disparaging of TT007. If you follow his posts, it’s likely he’s made several million dollars this year in short term gains by betting big. Statistically speaking, that’s higher than the vast majority of people on this site. Some of these guys make fun of him and talk big but it doesn’t carry much weight because they hold like 42 shares and have never taken a big risk in their lives. Super hypocritical of most people. All that matters in the end is the $ or shares in your account. As someone else would say, Everything else is just conversation.
I think he is a lucky gambler. If he keeps doing what he is doing I bet he loses it all eventually. Calls can be wiped out very fast if things turn negative. He clearly does not see the longterm potential of Tesla because his price target is only 1400 when Tesla will easily be worth more than 3000 in 5 years. He will go to some other stock and yeah he might be right but someday he will be wrong. His strategy is not the best for sustained longterm gains.

Shorties hard at work this morning?

Dan
Looks like someone has a lot to loose on calls if prices goes over 800 Friday
I think the hedge funds are playing the suckers. Look at all those 700 PUTs they sold today since the last time I posted hours ago. The hedge funds are sucking in players making the price bounce around. At this rate they will have enough 700 puts and 800 calls accumulated that the max pain will be 750 and they won't care where in the middle it falls Friday.

There appear to be a lot of 920's being sold too. I think they are preparing for a price spike in case the announcement comes out that Freemont(/funny) is opening soon. I know I have one 920 I expect to loss on.... so I guess I am one of those suckers.
sell 700s.png

I think he is a lucky gambler. If he keeps doing what he is doing I bet he loses it all eventually. Calls can be wiped out very fast if things turn negative. He clearly does not see the longterm potential of Tesla because his price target is only 1400 when Tesla will easily be worth more than 3000 in 5 years. He will go to some other stock and yeah he might be right but someday he will be wrong. His strategy is not the best for sustained longterm gains.

Maybe, but lucky gamblers Dont typically end up holding large amounts of common stock with no calls. To me that seems like a person who knew when to derisk.

In fact his previous move of going to cash at 800 was a risk averse move.

But that was exactly my point. From the research paper:

So you are operating in lithium-ion mode until you charge past a certain voltage, at which point you go into lithium-metal mode at the high SoCs. You get the "extra" range by charging past the lithium-ion mode into the lithium-metal mode. Like if you charge to 100% for a trip.

You are only occasionally using the full capacity of the pack.

Listening to the conversation between you two it appears that if you charge the battery to max for a trip you get extra range to use but it is loaded on the back end. The way I see it when you get ready for a trip you charge all the way and it charges the lithium-metal. Then while you drive it uses the lithium-ion. IF you end up needing the extra range it digs into the lithium-metal. If not the lithium-metal basically stays charged and you top up the lithium-ion part at the next supercharger. I guess if you never use the entire extended range the lithium-metal will slowly drop it's charge over a period of time. (hopefully days not hours)

ALtho I am totally guessing from what I am hearing.

• Disagree
Reactions: hacer
Can I just say, as a humble british guy that. OMG THIS IS SO FLIPPING DUMB.
Why does everyone in the US think they are scxooter from the dukes of hazard? The vast majority of you, the vast majority of the time are NOT hauling extra heavy or dirty industrial equipment. 99% of the time you are driving to work or back or the shops or the movies, you are not in the flipping A team.

Its such a triumph of stupid pointless marketing to persuade the average american that they are not manly/patriotic unless they drive an armroed personell carrier to the shops.

And I'm not just criiticizing the US here. In the Uk we call oversized 4x4s 'chelsea tractors.*'

*Chelsea is a very wealthy and very crowded part of London with super narrow streets. The closest it gets to ever needing a tractor is when they have the chelsea flower show, yet every 2nd car parked in Chelsea is a hummer-sized 4x4.[/QUOT
Can I just say, as a humble british guy that. OMG THIS IS SO FLIPPING DUMB.
Why does everyone in the US think they are scxooter from the dukes of hazard? The vast majority of you, the vast majority of the time are NOT hauling extra heavy or dirty industrial equipment. 99% of the time you are driving to work or back or the shops or the movies, you are not in the flipping A team.

Its such a triumph of stupid pointless marketing to persuade the average american that they are not manly/patriotic unless they drive an armroed personell carrier to the shops.

And I'm not just criiticizing the US here. In the Uk we call oversized 4x4s 'chelsea tractors.*'

*Chelsea is a very wealthy and very crowded part of London with super narrow streets. The closest it gets to ever needing a tractor is when they have the chelsea flower show, yet every 2nd car parked in Chelsea is a hummer-sized 4x4.
Vehicle advertising for decades has been directed toward associating vehicles owned with lifestyle/status. Your "Chelsea Tractor" is a perfect example. People buy for image, not practicality. Who the f*** actually needs a performance model Tesla? Stupid waste of money, standard models are already way more fleet than needed.

Looks like someone has a lot to loose on calls if prices goes over 800 Friday
16 Billion $'s in shares are traded many days now. Generally, you need to buy or sell about 20% of the shares to move the price up or down. So, if you are willing to bet 4 Billion dollars you can affect the price. Now compare that to how much someone might lose on calls if the price goes over $800. Share price going up attracts sellers - it's that simple.

Maybe, but lucky gamblers Dont typically end up holding large amounts of common stock with no calls. To me that seems like a person who knew when to derisk.

In fact his previous move of going to cash at 800 was a risk averse move.
Well yeah right now he derisked but sometime he will go all calls again like he usually does. Being all calls is gambling. You never know when some bad news happens and the stock can’t recover before your calls expire worthless.

Reactions: UncaNed
Ok whatever, why the hell is everyone so flipping aggressive here these days. I'll just stop posting. enjoy your arguments guys, i'm off.
Don't take it personally. Most people don't mean to offend and either do so in sarcasm and just kidding around, and others just without any negative intent. I don't think this was meant to be offensive, just a jesting "Yankee" boast. And it should have been about 240 years now, so who's the idiot :) --> just kidding!.

Feel free. I dont live in London. I live down a single track unnamed lane just about wide enough for my model S. My neighbours are fields on 3 sides. the traffic past the house is 50% cars, 25% horses, 25% tractors.
Out of about 50 houses in the village, there is a single off-road vehicle.
Normal cars work pretty well in the overwhelming majority of situations, and most off-road vehicles...just are not used off road. Apparently its asking for trouble to state this, but its clearly true, ben sullins covered this in one of his cybertruck videos:

People can buy/drive what they like, I don't care, but unless the US is still a developing world country populated primarily by frontier folk, you have no more need for offroad vehicles than any european country. The only difference is fuel prices and marketing.[/QUOT
Feel free. I dont live in London. I live down a single track unnamed lane just about wide enough for my model S. My neighbours are fields on 3 sides. the traffic past the house is 50% cars, 25% horses, 25% tractors.
Out of about 50 houses in the village, there is a single off-road vehicle.
Normal cars work pretty well in the overwhelming majority of situations, and most off-road vehicles...just are not used off road. Apparently its asking for trouble to state this, but its clearly true, ben sullins covered this in one of his cybertruck videos:

People can buy/drive what they like, I don't care, but unless the US is still a developing world country populated primarily by frontier folk, you have no more need for offroad vehicles than any european country. The only difference is fuel prices and marketing.

My retirement/relocation dream is to settle in Northumberland. Your living situation sounds ideal to me.

By my understanding you have this back to front. But in any case it is way OT for this thread.

The part that made it relevant for this thread is that the Dodger was saying that Tesla could make a lot of money with this hybrid battery by selling the emergency reserve to people that run their car out of charge to save their ass. Which isn't going to happen, first because there is no emergency reserve, and 2 because people rarely run their car to 0%.

Listening to the conversation between you two it appears that if you charge the battery to max for a trip you get extra range to use but it is loaded on the back end. The way I see it when you get ready for a trip you charge all the way and it charges the lithium-metal. Then while you drive it uses the lithium-ion. IF you end up needing the extra range it digs into the lithium-metal. If not the lithium-metal basically stays charged and you top up the lithium-ion part at the next supercharger. I guess if you never use the entire extended range the lithium-metal will slowly drop it's charge over a period of time. (hopefully days not hours)

ALtho I am totally guessing from what I am hearing.

I'm making up the percentages, but the way I read it is 0-80% is lithium-ion mode and 81-100% is lithium-metal mode. There are no separate batteries or the option of picking which mode you use at a given point. If you are charged to 90% you are using up your limited lithium-metal mode uses until you get below 80%.

Though I could see if this battery was put into production that they might map the SoC so it shows as 0-100% for lithium-ion mode, and 101-120% as trip/lithium-metal mode to help people understand that they shouldn't charge completely full, into lithium-metal mode, every day.

Reactions: UncaNed
Yes, you figured it out:

1. In general, the posters on this these threads take themselves and this forum too seriously
2. If you've been lurking long enough you will see that is has spiraled into an echo chamber of pure hypocrisy (not absolute but the loudest majority)
3. The most informative, balanced, unemotional contributors have left over the years (or barely contribute anymore) and it looks like the final nail in the coffin was FC and Karen.
4. The most entertaining super bull posters have left as well (this includes TT007). Nanny state got to em here.
5. So you are correct. These are not open thought forums and therefore it is just turned into agree with me, get ignored, told to GTFO, nanny state, Trump hating, fear mongering, whiny posts that just can't accept any other opinion. So it isn't really that intelligent (in general). It is just guised in a cloak of intelligence and a cloak of the "we are here for the mission, climate change, climate change, ya ya ya". In a nutshell, it has turned into all the other crappy social media sites that are available. Hooray! Job well done.

Fine example from the Commyvirus thread. Poster puts up picture of guy with KKK hood on shopping for groceries and makes some derogatory remark about being a Trumper wearing PPE. Everyone checks off "funny". Papafox give him a lecture on basic maturity. Poster responds with something like "but what is wrong with ridiculing racist idiots and everyone checked "funny" so it must be ok". LOL. It is literally the ignorant making fun of the ignorant. Poster doesn't even realize he is being just the same as the racist idiot he is making fun of (ie stereotyping in a derogatory manner in order to exert superiority).

It is too bad. But it is what it is. All good (great) things cannot last forever.
Do you now, or have you ever, owned a pair of short shorts?

He takes a lot of risk for short term gains. There is nothing wrong with that. Options are risky but can be very rewarding. Like many, I made some of the worst moves that cost me dearly, but also had some really great moves. For example, last year I was all-in with Jan '20 OTM call options, and saw my portfolio shrinking to 20% of what it was. But couldn't get myself to sell. Avoided a margin call and rolled over the options to Jan '21 and '22 when the stock price hit the lows, and miraculously, my account recovered and is now up 10x from a year ago!

As time goes by I've learned how to lower my risk. I only trade in my tax-free IRA account and hold at least half in stock. And my wife disabled my ability to buy on margin. :p