Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, what Elon described as technologically feasible by the end of the year essentially is level 3(car can handle entire driving task most of the time, but human might need to take over in some situations). Level 4 implies the human can clock out entirely, which he suggested is feasible by the end of 2020.

The way I understand “feature complete” is that AP will pay attention to all needed aspects of driving and that is about it. It will look for traffic signs/lights, line markings, other drivers but with undefined accuracy and likely will not act on many of them. Most features will be in passive mode and car will still require drivers attention and input.

Yes, though only in tight geographical regions.

Or to put it another way, a roller coaster can drive its track in Level 5 autonomy ;)

The best thing Waymo has produced is superior PR. They've done a great job controlling the narratives about the autonomy space. But in the real world, their cars - even in their tightly geofenced environment, where they can only drive on specific roads, stop in specific locations, etc - are still dependent on "safety driver" interventions - and not just for safety. Sometimes they fail to make turns. On some turns, the drivers almost always have to intervene. The locals hate how the Waymo cars drive. Etc, etc, etc. Meanwhile, their compute and sensor suite is impractically expensive for real-world everyday vehicles, and they have two orders of magnitude less data than Tesla to find corner cases.

Last edited:
You don't have to get your car repainted due to a small paint defect you couldn't even see from 2 ft away. I had to fix my Jags water pump just 9k miles in. There's a difference between the two.

If the model 3 reduced the probability of injury by 30% compared to the next best ICE, they should be pulling other cars recommendation for being unsafe. But instead they pulled Tesla for having small paint chips at delivery. Priorities....

Most cars don't leave you on the side of road in the first year.

Jaguar is one of the exceptionally bad. Jaguar sells less than 200k cars per year in market of 90M to 100M/year depending on how you count it. No one forced you to buy one of the the least reliable ICEv. Why did you? Priorities I guess. You could have easily purchased a Lexus instead.

Despite all the carnage on the roads the population still manages to increase.

Again, the chances of any one person being in an accident where they die in a Lexus and live in Tesla is rather small. Not everyone makes safety ratings their number one priority. If so look to IIHS, NHSTA etc ratings.

CR has a safety component but the purpose of CR Auto Survey is to gauge short term reliability and long term durability.

BTW IF you can't grasp why every organization doesn't rate Tesla the best thing ever and why anyone would consider buying a car other than Tesla and call anyone who does corrupt,stupid,crazy etc you are never going to grasp the stock price movement of TSLA.

Correction : CR claims to tell us about how often we need to take the car in for the shop. Ofcourse, with 3 - for many issues you may not need to take the car into the shop. It could be an OTA update.

The first issue mentioned by CR was touchscreen freezes. While I'm sure there are extreme cases, many of these can be fixed by a simple reboot by the owner (not even an OTA update is needed).

What the Survey Found
Model 3 owners in our spring survey sample reported some body hardware and in-car electronics problems, such as the screen freezing, which we have seen with other Tesla models. Tesla Model 3 Loses CR Recommendation Over Reliability Issues

Maxwell was trying to get people interested in their tech since 2016 but found no takers. They probably decided to sell the company after former management was found guilty of cooking books.

Hopefully they were not inflating their research as well - I trust that Tesla knows what they are doing.
Info, please. Let's hope we're not into GTAT redux.

Not exactly TSLA related, but just an example what happens to a big company losing steam.

Included in the results was a $15.4 billion non-cash impairment charge related to the Kraft and Oscar Mayer trademarks and other assets.

For comparison- JLR did $4 billion write-down, while they are minions compared to the German giants. When they start writing off/down it will be a s*** show.

Btw- KHC is down ~20% as a result.

Update on that one:

34.67 -13.51 (-28.04%)
Volume 119,232,220
Avg. Volume 6,624,557

And that's a stock with beta less than 1.

Perhaps it was based on this one.

View attachment 379655

Tail fins CHECK
Uperstage fins CHECK
It reminds me of Marvin the Martian's:
marvin_the_martian_riding_rocket_statuette-r719b357c07c14312ad61818b2810f55f_x7saw_8byvr_540.jpg

most%2Bpopular%2Bphoto%2B5%2BMarvin%2Bthe%2BMartian.jpg

Last edited:
Question though. If Level 3 FSD becomes ready, what happens to EAP? Is that package now redundant?

That would seem more probable. Isn't Waymo claiming level 4 now ?
Even if Waymo stays ahead (or pulls ahead?) of Tesla with self driving tech, they still have to get that technology into cars somehow. That means retrofits or licensing that tech to auto makers. So even if Waymo has a 2 year lead that would probably still be a wash by the time their product can actually reach consumers.

Jaguar is one of the exceptionally bad. Jaguar sells less than 200k cars per year in market of 90M to 100M/year depending on how you count it. No one forced you to buy one of the the least reliable ICEv. Why did you? Priorities I guess. You could have easily purchased a Lexus instead.

Again, the chances of any one person being in an accident where they die in a Lexus and live in Tesla is rather small. Not everyone makes safety ratings their number one priority. If so look to IIHS, NHSTA etc ratings.

CR has a safety component but the purpose of CR Auto Survey is to gauge short term reliability and long term durability.

BTW IF you can't grasp why every organization doesn't rate Tesla the best thing ever and why anyone would consider buying a car other than Tesla and call anyone who does corrupt,stupid,crazy etc you are never going to grasp the stock price movement of TSLA.

Everyone is just guessing anyway in the end.

Warning, Fred link: Volkswagen announces all-electric version of its Multivan

How a large van with 78kWh battery will get to 400km is beyond me...

The updated T6.1 Multivan will offer an all-electric version of the vehicle in conjunction with German tuning company ABT. The release notes detailed a few specs:

“With an output of 82 kW / 112 PS and a battery capacity of either 38.8 kWh or 77.6 kWh, driving ranges of more than 400 km (NEDC) will be possible – making the vehicle ideal for commercial duty in the urban world.”
By driving slow

Check jaguars JD dependability. It's as high as Honda's ever since TaTa took over. It has 50k miles on it right now with no additional problems. I pretty had issues with every new or used cars I've bought. My first car being the Toyota Celica bought new and it's trunk hydraulic failed after the first 3 months. Our Infiniti SUV had a transmission swap at 23k miles. My wife's aunt Lexus SUV left them stranded on the road under 30k miles. My wife's new beetle had cabin noises and electronic issues under 5k miles.

Guess what, my Tesla model 3 had to get some kind of brake attachment fixed because it was making grinding noises at 1k miles.

So no I don't find paint or panel issues to be a reliabilty metric. And I have yet to find some trouble free car.

This is CR's chart of Tesla Model 3 reliability. It is above average in every category except Body Hardware where it is average. How can it possibly be below average overall? I will be contacting them to ask.

View attachment 379686
I agree, the weighting on that is weird. Out of all the things that are important, I place transmissions, brakes, suspension, drive system, engine, etc, WAAAY above "Body Hardware." Seriously, it leads to concerns on what they were thinking?

Guys, I just pulled up next to the i-pace. I didnt like the pics I saw online, but damn, that thing is slick looking! Quite impressed and gave a thumbs up to the lady driving it to acknowledge another EV on the road.

Yes, it's a nice looking car, but quite small and impractical, plus complicated displays and switches. But if Tesla didn't exist and if I didn't have kids and if I didn't want to road trip in it, then I'd likely buy one.