Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that trade unions are really just like professional executives. Both focus only on the short term and what they can get this quarter rather than the long term health of the company. Neither actually protect the workers. Executives because Wall Street rewards layoffs and Unions because a closed business or a business that moves out of the country/state/county/city means no more job.

I am a member of a construction trade union; however, I bow to the most powerful unions — the American Bar Association and the American Medical Association.

I suppose a question of semantics.

What's the significance of monthly options expiration day versus weekly options expiration day? Does monthly always happen mid-month? Do MMs make more money on monthly options expiration day? How does one learn more about the activities of option writers and MMs and how they influence share price?

I'm not interested in learning how to play options myself, but I'd like to know how MMs/option writers influence swings in the share price.

From my uneducated perch, it seems that if you know how the options industry works it would be easy to make money because one could just copy what the MMs do and where they want the strike price to be each week/month and mimic their strategy.
Options become available for trading at different times in advance.

Long-term equity anticipation securities (LEAPS) are issued quarterly, a bit over two years in advance, so the furthest out at the moment is June 2022. September 2022 should come out soon, for TSLA... I'm not sure if it's the same for all companies; Jan/Mar/Jun/Sep. They're just standard options but far enough in advance that they can become long-term capital gains in their own right. Expiry is always 3rd Friday of the month. These are the famous "triple witching" dates, when lots of things expire all at once, and manipulation is at its highest.

Monthly options become available about 8 months in advance, for the months that didn't already have LEAPS. Currently December 2020 is the furthest out. These also expire on 3rd Friday of the month.

Weekly options become available about 8 weeks in advance.

So, unsurprisingly, there are a lot more outstanding options across a wider range for the ones that have been available longer.

Interesting. But also from the same article:

“The addition criteria are for addition to an index, not for continued membership,” says the 41-page S&P U.S. Indices Methodology rule book. “As a result, an index constituent that appears to violate criteria for addition to that index is not deleted unless ongoing conditions warrant an index change.”

That sounds to me as if the criteria for inclusion are not soft.

Thanks for the clarification, I was wrong.

Yes, the TSLA-bull in me swapped "index composition" for "S&P 500 inclusion."

• Helpful
Reactions: hobbes
Uncle Jack Rickard makes some comments about Solar, Batteries, and economies of scale in his latest video: "EVTV - New Project - 30kW High Voltage DC Smart Inverter - progress on Tesla Model 3 Batteries."

Start watching from about [1:21:18] (optionally, set playback speed to 1.25x). Imma quote the section on Bty Day from [1:24:45] because IMHO Jack nails it: :cool:

"I think you're gonna see some surprising things and be made to look very foolish on some of your prognostications into the future. But I do expect some cool stuff to come out of it.

"One of the issues I don't think people have grasped is that when Elon musk announced the Gigafactory what he was saying was with the building of one building I'm going to double the world's output of lithium batteries.

"Well several years have gone by, and it's no longer half the output of the world supply. Batteries have become kind of a big business. But it has become apparent to him in a way I don't think it has to you that he doesn't need a gigawatt of batteries, he doesn't need a terawatt of batteries, he needs several terawatts of batteries, and he needs them kind of right now.

"To do everything he is planning on, with the cars, with the power walls, with the rooftops, with the semi-truck, and with utility grid storage, utility grade, utility scale grid storage.

"There's not enough batteries in the world again and he has to figure out a way to make batteries faster, cheaper and more quickly than you can imagine. And this is what's keeping him awake at night, is where do I get a terawatt of batteries like by the Fourth of July? And that's the pressure he's feeling. He doesn't really need it by the Forth of July, but he thinks he does and so it's gonna be kind of interesting to see that coming battery day.

"I'm gonna leave you with my favorite commercial: At some point some, somebody does have a better idea."​

Stay with us!

Last edited:
Here is how Teslacharts describes his Twitter on an interview:

TeslaCharts then says: (about 9:30 in)
"TSLAQ is the product of experts in their own particular field that Elon has waded into. ... The realization happens when you know something inside out, Elon comes into your field, makes what I believe are knowingly outrageous and most likely false statements, that you know in the moment are false, and then he ridicules you for not having thought of them."
Once you've had that Realization, in any particular field, you can't look at him the same way after that."

TC then goes on about the solar roof reveal, in which he (TC) just knew the product was false, and which was confirmed in a FastCompany article later.

I'm tempted to take a drive, check this site out and snap some photos but others will save me the trouble.

Near the end, this guy says the land area discussed is double the area of Giga Berlin.

Congratulations! You've been nominated by TMC members to go drive over there and take lots of photos. Climb over fences if you must.

Today or tomorrow would be great.

Price T Rowe Associates sold most of TSLA holdings in Q1 2020 according to Tesla, Inc. Common Stock (TSLA) Institutional Holdings

These guys held Tesla through many boom and busts in SP so I wonder what caused this sudden divestiture?

They had already sold ~90% of their holdings prior to Q1. Price T Rowe used to hold 16M TSLA shares in late 2018, but owned <2M at the end of 2019.

Price T Rowe.jpg

Last edited: