Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
‘Along with Dave Lee on Investing @DaveT , Rob’s Tesla Daily is the best. I used to really enjoy Solving the Money Problem, HyperChange, LikeTesla and others, but in my view Rob and Dave are really a cut above.

Having said that, I still feel we’re early into this virus (only 1/6 of the way through according to Epidemiologists), and as we have to re-enter social distancing this Summer or Fall, the economy and even Tesla demand is in for a bigger hit, so I’m guessing Tesla “might” be demand constrained later this year. I am a Patreon of TeslaDaily and I do remember emailing Rob one time when I thought he was wrong, but it turned out that I was. I’m sure everyone here’s hoping I’m 0 for 2 in my disagreements with Rob:)

I think I’m ok at 65% TSLA, 10% Amazon and 25% cash, because I will be equally miserable if Tesla drops and I’ll wish I had sold some while it was in the $800’s, vs. how unhappy I will be if it goes up from here and I’ll regret being 25% in cash:)
I am not sure which epidemiologists are you quoting, most of them just produces whatever results are expected from them with devastatin results for overall health policy (not just COVID.) Epidemiology is a science, and according to scientist epidemiologists (e.g. Ioannidis and others) this is pretty much over.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nathan
Not sure whether this has been posted or discussed already, if yes, consider it weekend OT cheer up.
This was published a little over a week ago.
Munro wrapping up the Model Y tear down with a hour and half Q&A:
At 12:30, he basically confirmed Model Y is cheaper to make than Model 3. But said he is not going to do an definitive statement before the report comes out end of the month.

Big fat margin for the second half of the year secured.

Would be interesting to see when would Tesla start to upgrade current Model 3 body lines to make Model Y as well, or is it done already.
(I assume press, paint and GA should be ready to shift just as is)

Last edited:
One of Tesla's superpowers is their fan base. What corporations (!) have people rooting for them and doing something as cool as this:

Cybertruck 'add' by Joe Sill, "It Came From Beyond"

People love Tesla. Tesla is on a mission and people respect that and root for that. No other car company, energy company, or pretty much any other company in the World has that. This, too, will bring Tesla far - and beyond.

-H

Would be interesting to see when would Tesla start to upgrade current Model 3 body lines to make Model Y as well, or is it done already.
(I assume press, paint and GA should be ready to shift just as is)

From a recent talk, Elon said the 3 line is more complex, but it works now so there is no motivation to change it.
My take is that Fremont will stay as is, but future plants/ body lines will be set up with Y style castings.

Big fat margin for the second half of the year secured.
I don't know why some people are sanguine about 2H20 for Tesla. There will be a resurgence of the virus. I don't know if that will happen soon as things open up, or later this fall or winter. There hasn't been much progress with treatment, and vaccine ETA is an unknown. Fremont might have to close again and there will be widespread impact on the economy. Here's a good daily podcast that until this week was called Coronavirus Morning Report: Good News Ride Home

I don't know why some people are sanguine about 2H20 for Tesla. There will be a resurgence of the virus. I don't know if that will happen soon as things open up, or later this fall or winter. There hasn't been much progress with treatment, and vaccine ETA is an unknown. Fremont might have to close again and there will be widespread impact on the economy. Here's a good daily podcast that until this week was called Coronavirus Morning Report: Good News Ride Home

H2O2 is Hydrogen Peroxide, why the concern?

H2O2 is Hydrogen Peroxide, why the concern?
I would interpret that as 2nd half of 2020 ;) I'm not concerned about covid. You can find polar opinions on anything. Do your own due diligence. If the situation changes in the coming months I can be fluid, no need to panic as of right now. There will be many signs long before they try to close things again in the US if it comes to that.

Guess what, if treatment and vaccine doesn't come to the market we will have learn to live with COVID. Wash your hand frequently, wear mask etcs

Locking down a 2nd time seems very unlikely at this point even if cases increase. The general public is fatigued with quarantining and much less likely to comply again.

Unless there is a new catastrophic development, we will become accustomed to COVID-19 and move on. For better or worse, fear of the disease wiping out society as we know it decreases every day.

I wish Lizzy Gurdus could fill us in on who asked her to publish today on CNBC that Ark Invest was selling Tesla, one of the most recycled news item not far behind Elvis still being alive.

Ark Invest CEO: Why we've sold Tesla despite our long-term bull case

Indeed, it would be interesting to learn who or what provided the inspiration. It was a rehash of what ARK's CEO discussed with a different CNBC reporter four days ago. Wood's trading methodology has been fully explained to the public countless times. Tesla remains her investment of highest conviction, with the largest position in the ETFs she manages. But when it becomes too large of a portion of an ETF, it is a candidate for trimming to buy other stocks that have dipped.

This delayed article was released two hours before the market close on a Friday in which TSLA options expire and a three-day weekend begins. This reporter appears to have taken over from another one at CNBC who frequently exhibited similar timing of Tesla articles with negative implications. :rolleyes:

BTW, I own both the ARKK ETF (of which nearly 10% is TSLA) and TSLA shares separately. I have not recently owned or written any TSLA options. :cool:

M
I would interpret that as 2nd half of 2020 ;) I'm not concerned about covid. You can find polar opinions on anything. Do your own due diligence. If the situation changes in the coming months I can be fluid, no need to panic as of right now. There will be many signs long before they try to close things again in the US if it comes to that.
My uninformed opinion - no one is going to submit to another shutdown, and no politician is going to further decimate the economy. This is in the medical community’s court now, vaccine or no vaccine. They will have had 6+ months to prepare.

I think you need to change the way you think about money and investing.

You have set yourself up to be miserable or unhappy no matter what happens. If you view money as being less a part of you and more of a life tool, as a potential bonus, I think your psyche and overall life satisfaction won't be as affected as much, regardless of what happens in the market. And it will probably increase your overall effectiveness as an investor too.

Haha. You must get extraordinary pleasure from being both judgmental and patronizing. How long have you had these particular qualities?

There is more to life than money, which is why I try not to be judgmental or patronizing. Have you found being that way maximizes you’re quality of life? It seems a very strange quirk. I am pretty positive I would not have the friends that I do, if I had those traits. When did you first acquire these traits? How long have you had them?

Last edited:
Trade it exactly same way as you would trade stocks.

The downside is if TSLA price does not go up - then you can lose all your initial investment, and have nothing to show for it. Kind of what has happened to all those call options I purchased just prior to ER :(. So far, lost about 90% on the May 15 and May 22nd options. Still holding hope for those expiring May 29 and June 19th which have lost >50% value.

Yeah the rug pull right after ER combined with battery day being moved basically destroyed May call options. There was ~an hour long window at the open day-after ER where profits were decent...after that everything was crushed and in the red.

But that’s the exact reason why short-term options are risky and you can only play with what you can stand to lose. Still hurts though!

Yep, the call options in May have been pretty much destroyed. But, as you said, this is money I can afford to lose.

I did very well with options after the Q3 2019 and Q4 2019 ERs - so well in fact that my TSLA shares quadrupled during this period. The reason is that any profits that I made were put back into buying shares for long term HODL. I had a wishful target number of shares to obtain by end of 2020 - that was exceeded in March 2020. Those shares are my long long term hold shares, which I won't play with. But I am not buying more shares now, just playing with options knowing very well that it is just a few shades away from gambling. Now let's hope for a breakout before the June and July ones lose too much value.

Currently, it feels as if the spring is winding up every day as the stock is being pushed down. Even a noob like me can guess that there is major manipulation going on. So just waiting for a trigger to set off this stock to some new highs. If that doesn't happen, well I still have my long term hold shares!

After-action Report: Fri, May 22, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

VWAP: $822.10
Volume: 9,995,899
Traded: $8,217,586,465.30 ($8.22 B)

Closing SP / VWAP: 99.36%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)​

FINRA Short/Total Volume = 37.5% (42nd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 53.1% (54th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 1.17% of Short Volume (51st Percentile rank).

Comment: "Tail wags Dog wags Tail wags Dog"

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-05-22.png