Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand this kind of thinking. You are on a board mostly full of informed TSLA investors. Most of us bought so much at lower levels that our portfolios would not be considered diversified or balanced. As the price rises, this situation (happily) becomes more pronounced. Our portfolios are more unbalanced than ever. Some of us can handle the portfolio volatility this encourages, others will re-balance. I haven't done any rebalancing with this rise because I know how that can dramatically impact future returns in a negative manner but I would be more likely to sell at these prices than buy. And not because I'm not confident it will rise much higher in the future.

Why would we buy even more as the price rises? My last purchase was at the $360 level.

Since 2017 I've transferred some investments to $TSLA and put any excess cash into $TSLA. Sometimes when I want to buy something I'll ask myself "would I rather have that widget or another couple $TSLA shares?", then go buy the shares. Well as I continue to work and bring in more money than I wish to spend, I have to invest it somewhere. Since I still don't know a place I'd rather put my money to work, I guess I'll still be buying $TSLA.

More important to me is that if Elon is ready for Tesla to start production it tells me he has enough battery cells to kickstart this monster.
THIS! ↑ So important!

The start of Semi production also tells us that Panasonic at GF1/Sparks likely now has the Million Mile chemistry, either for their previously announced expansion to 54 GWh/yr capacity, or maybe even RIGHT NOW on existing lines.

It's a simple chemistry change, and relatively simple to implement, given that Tesla owns the IP. :D

Cheers!

Since 2017 I've transferred some investments to $TSLA and put any excess cash into $TSLA. Sometimes when I want to buy something I'll ask myself "would I rather have that widget or another couple $TSLA shares?", then go buy the shares. Well as I continue to work and bring in more money than I wish to spend, I have to invest it somewhere. Since I still don't know a place I'd rather put my money to work, I guess I'll still be buying $TSLA.

I actually avoided going grocery shopping and lived on noodles and stuff for weeks sometimes to be able to buy one extra stock. That's when it was $250. Harder now when it would take noodles for a month and not paying rent.

Hindsight is 20/20...i had a chance to move $180k in 2018 in a rollover IRA and decided to put it a majority stake in MSFT and a minority stake in TSLA, while the returns are nice in MSFT....id be a male gigolo now if i put the majority in TSLA.... :p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D

I actually avoided going grocery shopping and lived on noodles and stuff for weeks sometimes to be able to buy one extra stock. That's when it was $250. Harder now when it would take noodles for a month and not paying rent.
Dont pay rent...buy TSLA stock....wait until they kick you out and buy a house with the proceeds :):):):)

I feel like S&P 500 inclusion is a self-fulfilled prophecy by now, because many will purchase a Tesla vehicle or other product w/ TSLA stock gains. I am an example of this in 2Q 2020, trading in my Model 3 (hopefully Tesla got a great deal on this...) and upgrading to a Model X. Can't wait until Roadsters are in production....

because many will purchase a Tesla vehicle

It’s amazing how Tesla’s product line has increasingly been accepted as the next vehicle to buy.

We had an instacart order delivered today in Ocean Isle Beach by a 69 year old retired electrical engineer.

He said how do you like your Tesla ( we have 2 x’s & a 3 at our home right now )? Of course, I spent a considerable amount time showing him the X and delivering a why Tesla purchase.

He said that just the other day he told his wife that he was going to treat himself to a luxury car (he was driving a Honda SUV) for his 70th birthday. He cited Mercedes, BMW as examples but then his wife said why not a Tesla?

$1,000 in relatively short order will be in the investor’s rear view mirror.

Last edited:
This is where proper moderation and forum structure comes into play. A troll like Knightshade shouldn't even be debating the ability of EV technology to scale globally because it's clear OT to the thread. If this kind of thing were in a technical corner of the board, you don't have nearly as many trolls or a hard time dealing with them.

Not to put a damper on our fun today....

Reactions: UncaNed
Why would we buy even more as the price rises? My last purchase was at the $360 level.
We're measuring obviously to our purchase price, and $1000 is a nice payout if we would cash in now.

But others might feel they missed the boat, and want to hitch on to $1500, and by then they will be the ones to wonder who would add at $1500, while others want to hitch a ride to $2000.

It's all perspective. And how much cash you have you wish to park.

JDS imploded, and I lost it all but about 1000 , with a buy and hold approach. Can't win sometimes.

The problem with JDS Uniphase was they tried to grow simply by buying out/merging with other established companies. It was a story of big buy-outs and mergers to grow (and they often had to overpay).

Tesla grows organically from within (SolarCity excepted). They don't depend on others to innovate for them. Most stock market gains derive from innovation of which there are many kinds. I watched JDS Uniphase with curiosity mixed with a bit of disdain. It was a bubble without any real innovation to back it up.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
The problem with JDS Uniphase was they tried to grow simply by buying out/merging with other established companies. It was a story of big buy-outs and mergers to grow (and they often had to overpay).

Tesla grows organically from within (SolarCity excepted). They don't depend on others to innovate for them. Most stock market gains derive from innovation of which there are many kinds. I watched JDS Uniphase with curiosity mixed with a bit of disdain. It was a bubble without any real innovation to back it up.
Don't forget CMGI......that stock symbol still brings me nightmares.

Reactions: kcveins
I'm still struggling with how we get this SP action on a day that might not even top an average volume day? I guess it's small retail investors not willing to wait for a reasonable price? They just want in now.

Clearly I know nothing, but it feels to me like that has to be a positive indicator for future SP movement. Like some of the big institutions thought they'd get in easily at $800 at their leisure and it's now gonna be $1000+.