Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, will they be doing a capital raise now to fund TeraUK, TeraAustin, and TeraBrazil?
I feel like S&P 500 inclusion is a self-fulfilled prophecy by now, because many will purchase a Tesla vehicle or other product w/ TSLA stock gains. I am an example of this in 2Q 2020, trading in my Model 3 (hopefully Tesla got a great deal on this...) and upgrading to a Model X. Can't wait until Roadsters are in production....
Plus all the free advertising. Whenever Tesla gains even my non-Tesla friends ask me about Tesla. For a while there people were also forgoing buying a Tesla for fears they would go out of business. Obviously that concern is long gone.

Some thoughts:
  • A Sprung structure (tent) would suffice at first, Tesla has proven this with GA4 at Fremont.
  • Paint can be applied to the mold for composite construction (think of the way gelcoat is sprayed on the inside of a 1-piece mold for a boat hull)
  • That doesn't require a paint shop, just a large autoclave-style oven to cure the composite/resin mix
  • Where could such a large oven be obtained on short notice? Hmm, if only we knew a guy...;)
View attachment 549983

Oh yeah, that's right! In Sep 2018, Elon/SpaceX had that old 'carbon-starship' production plan using a Sprung structure at the Port of Los Angeles (likely CRFP so no paintshop req'd).

Trucking companies working at the Port of Los Angeles (and other ports) are likely to be some of the largest purchasers of the standard range Semi, for use as day cabs moving containers within the Port itself (a large use case, and nearly recession proof).

Further, California has a large incentive for the purchase of such trucks, as well as a new legal requirement for shipping companies to switch to ZEVs.

California Readies $398-Million Green Truck Incentive Package | trucks.com

It's okay. Elon has a plan... ;)

Cheers!
SpaceX just cancelled that lease.
SpaceX drops plans for Port of Los Angeles facility again - SpaceNews.com

I don't understand this kind of thinking. You are on a board mostly full of informed TSLA investors. Most of us bought so much at lower levels that our portfolios would not be considered diversified or balanced. As the price rises, this situation (happily) becomes more pronounced. Our portfolios are more unbalanced than ever. Some of us can handle the portfolio volatility this encourages, others will re-balance. I haven't done any rebalancing with this rise because I know how that can dramatically impact future returns in a negative manner but I would be more likely to sell at these prices than buy. And not because I'm not confident it will rise much higher in the future.

Why would we buy even more as the price rises? My last purchase was at the $360 level.
What don't you understand? I know i am on a board chock full of seasoned veterans investing in TSLA stock. My question was posed to those that would still purchase at these levels for future gains. If you think its time to sell, there is no mistake in locking in gains. I was simply asking if anyone would still consider adding now that TSLA is in the 4 digits.

Reactions: lafrisbee
What don't you understand? I know i am on a board chock full of seasoned veterans investing in TSLA stock. My question was posed to those that would still purchase at these levels for future gains. If you think its time to sell, there is no mistake in locking in gains. I was simply asking if anyone would still consider adding now that TSLA is in the 4 digits.
Yes

They were making ~1,000 Model 3/Y packs a day right? If those were evenly split between the SR+ and LR packs that would be enough cells for about 88 Semi packs per day that were 750 kWh is size. If they stockpiled that for a month that would mean they could make ~2,600 Semis. That is potentially $520,000,000 of revenue. That seems meaningful to me; even if they were only to be used internally. (Not that I think Tesla needs 2,600 Semis for their own use.)

And then they would run out of cells for further semi production (if they didn't ramp battery production dramatically by the time they had built those initial trucks). I don't think they want to ramp the semi only to have to shut down the line due to a lack of batteries.

Which is why I see this as confirmation that battery production is about to increase dramatically.

Yes. I rolled options upward to be more aggressive and added a few more options and even 5 actual shares.

Depends on your investment horizon. I have decades to go. So yes I will be adding and continue to do so.

Remember when you could buy a share of $TSLA for under $1,000 (circa 6/10/21). I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to the reporting about semi potential launch, but would be thrilled if the company is now prioritizing it. Semi has such a profound potential impact on the mission that (as much fun as the consumer auto market is) I really see it as a step change in the company's future and impact.

My broker keeps asking me if I want "advice" on investing.:D

Yeah leave me alone ya putz:cool:

You still have a traditional broker? I fired mine back in '98 shortly before my biggest holding soared 36X in one year. He was telling me that company was crap and didn't like placing more buy orders for me. I went online and never looked back! :)

And then they would run out of cells for further semi production (if they didn't ramp battery production dramatically by the time they had built those initial trucks). I don't think they want to ramp the semi only to have to shut down the line due to a lack of batteries.

Which is why I see this as confirmation that battery production is about to increase dramatically.

Well what else would you do with the batteries that were stockpiled? They don't work in the current S or X, and they aren't going to increase 3&Y production by that much. So they might as well make a few thousand Semis to get them out in the world to get some more real world experience with them.

And yes, hopefully by the time they use up those cells they will have ramped battery production. But how many Semis are you expecting them to make per year? How fast are they going to ramp? As an example Peterbuilt makes ~36k per year, or about 100 per day.

I can now safely say I'm a "retired multimillionaire philanthropist" on my online dating profiles.

How's that working out? Inquiring minds want to know...

fascinating.jpg

Probably the Semi production leaks. That should add at least $30 billion to market cap, right?;)

11:50 Market Cap Update:
  • 187.591B TSLA (Tesla)
  • 179.179B TM (Toyota Motor)
Tesla's Market Cap is 104.69% of Toyota.

Noon update:
  • 188.574B / 179.138B = TSLA (Tesla)
  • 179.179B TM (Toyota Motor)
Tesla's Market Cap is now 105.27% of Toyota. :D

Cheers!

Last edited: