Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what you expected for ‘free’, but at least you didn’t pay for the service of being told what you’re doing wrong, while getting rich. You get a bonus point for that.
Once upon a time, I was a trustee of a $2B 401k plan (Qualcomm). The trustees were deciding whether to allow the participants to do self-directed brokerage. Being an engineer/mathematician (the only one of about 10 trustees, funny for a high tech company), I did a bunch of research, all of which indicated that participants in self-directed plans underperformed the standard Vanguard plans by about 2%pa. The trustees voted, I was the only one opposed. Once the conversion happened I took most of the accumulated money and put it in Tesla. When the annual review of the plan performance happened, one of the Fidelity representatives said "Look, your plan outperformed the funds!". I had to break it to him that if you looked at the holdings across the plan, two stocks stood out: TSLA and GMCR (Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, which became Keurig, is now KDP). Neither of which was in the available standard funds to any great extent. It was fun, and I was lucky. I don't know who the people were who were investing in GMCR.

I would like to hug all here that have been fighting against FUD, discussing every day with people about how big the impact of Tesla for our future is, giving test drives to suspicious people, and last but not least: All employees that worked very hard every day, to bring Tesla to what ist is today ❤
Next step is 2000 :)
Ow, did I forget Elon?
Cheers man!

Ya. You can always buy via tripple bear or reverse direction ETF. But this is stretching it a bit and I absolutely would not do it unless it's an emergency protection for COVID 19.

You can short by buying the sector opposing it, it is not directly correlated bug good enough. Or find a stock that is inversely correlated and buy that.
As for what asset class is the best option for frothy market. Traditionally it has been the real estate and gold market that benefit right around the top of a bubble. I admit I am preparing some cash for the RE sector just in case it does implode.

I think Lyncathrope is the designated prophet right now. Maybe he can chip in. After all, I am retired and just rambling like an old man and I got my coronavirus thread so all is good.

Me? I don't know shlt, just in the absence of major news or events I sell puts and calls based on the options charts. I only trade $TSLA.

Which the last weeks has prove very profitable for puts, but damn if I'm not looking for an exit strategy for next weeks covered calls, which are ITS, sorry ITM right now.

But hey, even a stopped clock is right twice per day...

I think any short term options trades are dangerous at this juncture - we could shoot up on fomo/short covering/delta hedging, or pull back on manipulation/sorting/profit-taking. I have no idea which way it'll go.

Once upon a time, I was a trustee of a $2B 401k plan (Qualcomm). The trustees were deciding whether to allow the participants to do self-directed brokerage. Being an engineer/mathematician (the only one of about 10 trustees, funny for a high tech company), I did a bunch of research, all of which indicated that participants in self-directed plans underperformed the standard Vanguard plans by about 2%pa. The trustees voted, I was the only one opposed. Once the conversion happened I took most of the accumulated money and put it in Tesla. When the annual review of the plan performance happened, one of the Fidelity representatives said "Look, your plan outperformed the funds!". I had to break it to him that if you looked at the holdings across the plan, two stocks stood out: TSLA and GMCR (Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, which became Keurig, is now KDP). Neither of which was in the available standard funds to any great extent. It was fun, and I was lucky. I don't know who the people were who were investing in GMCR.
Glad you put your money in TSLA, although you might be getting free Dr. Pepper as a dividend with KDP...;-)

Covered calls at 1080 for Friday. Getting nervous.
The premiums on selling those is quite attractive, @Lycanthrope
Looking at 8/21/20 $1,400 getting $3,800, $1,300 getting $5,400. Even the $1,500 with a <10% chance of hitting gets $2,800.
Hard to look away. That pays for my new e-bike, tired of waiting for Tesla to make one.

The great thing about the move today into 1,000 is that's based on an unexpected surprise, not anticipation for Q2 numbers. The Semi, which was thought to only impact earnings in late 2021 has now been pushed up, from anywhere from Q1 2021 or possibly even as early as Q4 2020.

If this move was just in anticipation of Q2 numbers, I'd be more inclined to believe there would be a greater chance of a pullback on the actual results.

Where did you get this updated timeline from? No specifics were listed in the email.

Synopsis please? Most of us will not click that link.
Author is projecting the following with his reasons:

The total revenue by 2022 should therefore be around

• $60B for Model Y globally
  • $25B for Fremont S, X, 3
  • $25B for Cyber Truck
  • $16B for Shanghai Model 3
  • = $136B Total Global Sales
"I began writing this article with the stock price around $820. Today, the price is up to $950. Given my expectation, shown with the red trend line below, it should come as no surprise that almost my entire portfolio is in Tesla long dated calls that have been performing nicely. I expect that by 2022, the price per share for Tesla will pass $2,700."

Me? I don't know shlt, just in the absence of major news or events I sell puts and calls based on the options charts. I only trade $TSLA.

Which the last weeks has prove very profitable for puts, but damn if I'm not looking for an exit strategy for next weeks covered calls, which are ITS, sorry ITM right now.

But hey, even a stopped clock is right twice per day...

I think any short term options trades are dangerous at this juncture - we could shoot up on fomo/short covering/delta hedging, or pull back on manipulation/sorting/profit-taking. I have no idea which way it'll go.
I sold a few calls today in the 1200 range. TSLA is always volatile so you will likely get your chance to buy back at a similar or lower SP.