Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morgan Stanley with a downgrade to underweight now. Citing Chinese US relations as most concerning issue

Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley downgrade Tesla, saying the stock has gotten ahead of itself

Investors really like Tesla at 1000...should see an early fight to get back there this morning. Not sure the downgrades have mentioned anything new that would draw investor interest out. I think we see a dip for Q2 then rocket away from there

There had been talk this week of it being a good time for Tesla to raise capital with its share price over $1000. Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley have been serving as the two lead underwriters for subsequent offerings by Tesla. They would prefer to attempt selling a prospective offering of new shares to their clients at a lower more attractive price. Hence the doubly whammy of downgrades today. :rolleyes:

All they have really done is set up a dip buying opportunity for those who have been waiting for one. :cool:

Last edited:
The buy side of Morgan Stanley must want some more shares.

upload_2020-6-12_19-24-0.png

OT
Munro's latest video has a teaser. He knows which way the 3rd row seats are going to be facing based on holes in the casting. Can anyone work out which way?

You don't need a casting to tell you which direction the seats in the 3rd row of a Model Y face - all you need is one look at the roofline.

The rear seats will face rearwards.

OT
Munro's latest video has a teaser. He knows which way the 3rd row seats are going to be facing based on holes in the casting. Can anyone work out which way?

I think he and his channel are just floundering as to what to post now that they have relative fame and profit from it. The Tesla videos are the obvious money makers, but they don't have the Y to break down anymore and they're not going to sink the cost to redo the S, 3, or X.

That being said, still interesting to hear his experience.

Quite the bear raid today. The stock get's pushed down hard when the macro's go lower and doesn't experience nearly as much of a bounce when the macro's do. Anyone think this an attempt to make next weeks option expirations in play? The stock price at $1,025 was gonna be really hard to get down to max pain for next week, even if max pain rose considerably.

Piper Sandler managing director Craig Johnson was a regular guest of mine on my old TV show. He still sends me his newsletters. In early 2013 he recommended TSLA, which inspired me to buy my first shares at $38.

Today he did not comment on TSLA, although he had recommended it last month a couple of times. I subsequently doubled my position. His colleague Alexander Potter has it rated as a BUY.

However, this morning Craig did write this regarding the overall market:

In conclusion, U.S. equities have pulled back from overbought levels. Concerns over a second wave outbreak of COVID-19 and the Federal Reserve’s gloomy assessment of the road to recovery have thrown some cold water on the rally. Given the record-setting pace of the advance, and building economic uncertainty, pullbacks and volatility should be expected. However, we believe weakness should be bought as the technical and fundamental backdrop implies the lows have been set for stocks and the economy. We reiterate our year-end price objective on the SPX of 3,600.

There had been talk this week of it being a good time for Tesla to raise capital with its share price over $1000. Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley have been serving as the two lead underwriters for subsequent offerings by Tesla. They would prefer to attempt selling a prospective offering of new shares to their clients at a lower more attractive price. Hence the doubly whammy of downgrades today. :rolleyes:

All they have really done is set up a dip buying opportunity for those who have been waiting for one. :cool:
Thanks, Curt. Makes sense to me.

I got buys in from 935 all the way down to 919. Overall pretty happy. Next week is gonna be interesting with the monthly options expiration. There may be lots of shenanigans and it may go lower but I think we've de-risked Q2 P/D's by a good amount in case they come in below what some of us are expecting(I'm solidly in the 82-90k range).

I also for some reason have a hunch battery day date is going to be given over the weekend. Idk, just something about the Semi email and Elon confirming it makes me think the date is close.