Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't worry, Stealth, this is in my trading account - and options do have their place, recall this account has $3k value last September, without it now stands at $255k :p

My core shares account I only write "safe" calls against those - mostly...

I'm not worried about anyone here at all. That's an individual's prerogative and doesn't impact me in the slightest. I trade TSLA options too - but only when I see a clear opportunity. What I see with all the available options that I might be interested in right now is they could easily go either way once they are normalized for potential risk/reward. I don't always see that in the options chains but right now it's pretty strong. It might not be such a "hail Mary" if you are more clairvoyant than I am.

Reactions: UncaNed
Craig Johnson is a managing director and technical strategist at Piper Sandler (formerly Piper Jaffray). He was a regular guest of mine on my old TV show, and still sends me his newsletters. In early 2013 he recommended TSLA, which led to my first purchase at $38. His auto analyst colleague Alexander Potter has a BUY rating on TSLA.

This morning Craig included TSLA in his list of technically positive stocks, and noted that there may be an opportunity for investors to benefit from its recent pullback. :cool:

Many “young” investors do not understand the huge potential losses that can arise from selling puts into a diving market. IMO, many here don’t understand the potential liability if assigned. Not assuming anything.

I misunderstood then because I thought the $100 drop you mentioned was in reference to TSLA's recent $100 drop (which we are recovering from quite strongly I might add).

100kWh Model 3?! Must be using the new battery...

https://twitter.com/zeus7f1/status/1272549388779470859/photo/1

EakA6A-X0AAk-0U

Damn, what the heck is driving this? Curt, any ideas?
Macro recovery from big boys with recovery FOMO. For TSLA I really think it could be as simple as "$29.95 syndrome" for young investors looking to get into Tesla before it move to 4 digits permanently. 3 digits just feels like a bargain.

Light on the details, but a Tesla hacker (not Green this time) found a 100 kWh Model 3: https://twitter.com/zeus7f1/status/1272549388779470859

I can't wait for battery day.

I know people here are divided on just how much range is "enough" for an EV. My personal opinion is that with a range of approximately ~430 miles (EPA) the Model 3 would be about as high as it would need to go.

My current Model 3 LR is perfectly sufficient for regional road trips with 1 or maybe 2 charging stops but I wouldn't want to do a multi-day trip length trip. I think a 100kWh pack would essentially bring the Model 3 to ICE parity on the last metric that an ICE vehicle has any significant remaining advantage. (This assumes that with the larger battery would come the ability to take on more charge at higher rates, etc.)

I know people here are divided on just how much range is "enough" for an EV. My personal opinion is that with a range of approximately ~430 miles (EPA) the Model 3 would be about as high as it would need to go.

My current Model 3 LR is perfectly sufficient for regional road trips with 1 or maybe 2 charging stops but I wouldn't want to do a multi-day trip length trip. I think a 100kWh pack would essentially bring the Model 3 to ICE parity on the last metric that an ICE vehicle has any significant remaining advantage. (This assumes that with the larger battery would come the ability to take on more charge at higher rates, etc.)
In which scenario would a 100 KWh Model 3 make most sense from Tesla's POV? If they are battery production limited, assembly limited, cash limited, high margin product limited, delivery capacity limited (etc)?

I thought they would benefit from making as many robotaxis as possible. Or maybe they think replacing some P100D Model S sales with P100D Model 3 would further increase their margin?

Damn, what the heck is driving this? Curt, any ideas?

My personal guess is that there is a growing awareness of the potential of Tesla's energy business. Right now most investors are looking at TSLA as essentially an auto company with some associated battery/software/etc side businesses, but the potential market for grid scale battery services is immense and TSLA has the potential to utterly dominate that business.

An essential read from America's leading state for renewable power:

Newcomer Broad Reach Power to deploy increasingly large battery systems in Texas

US-based independent power producer (IPP) Broad Reach Power has said it will build 15 projects in Texas in 2020, each of them just under 10MW / 10MWh, with construction on six of them set to begin this summer.

The remainder are expected to commence construction later in the year, with the sites near the cities of Houston and Odessa in the southern US state. In 2021, the company expects to construct two much larger Texas facilities of 100MW / 100MWh output and capacity each.

Newcomer Broad Reach Power to deploy increasingly large battery systems in Texas

This is a whole new multi-billion dollar market that as of today essentially doesn't exist. (yes, there are a handful of significant grid-scale battery projects but nothing like what will exist in 10 years)

In which scenario would a 100 KWh Model 3 make most sense from Tesla's POV? If they are battery production limited, assembly limited, cash limited, high margin product limited, delivery capacity limited (etc)?

I thought they would benefit from making as many robotaxis as possible. Or maybe they think replacing some P100D Model S sales with P100D Model 3 would further increase their margin?

This might just be a test car/config. I don't think we will see a 100 KWh M3 any time soon.