Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In which scenario would a 100 KWh Model 3 make most sense from Tesla's POV? If they are battery production limited, assembly limited, cash limited, high margin product limited, delivery capacity limited (etc)?

I thought they would benefit from making as many robotaxis as possible. Or maybe they think replacing some P100D Model S sales with P100D Model 3 would further increase their margin?

In the scenario where they continuously improve their offerings to not merely match their competitors but to leave them behind completely.

Yes, a 100kWh Model 3 would be taking the current market leader and taking it up a significant step.

That isn't something the dinosaurs would do. They would prioritize short term profits and hold back their innovation until they "needed" to release it. That isn't my read on how Tesla operates.

In the scenario where they continuously improve their offerings to not merely match their competitors but to leave them behind completely.

Yes, a 100kWh Model 3 would be taking the current market leader and taking it up a significant step.

That isn't something the dinosaurs would do. They would prioritize short term profits and hold back their innovation until they "needed" to release it. That isn't my read on how Tesla operates.

Nail in the coffin to ICE mfgs who intend to roll out their "competing" cars in 2020/2021. E.g. Polestar and VW ID line.

Has this been posted yet?

BREAKING: Travis County considering Tesla incentives deal

From the article:

The new facility -- which Tesla calls a “gigafactory” -- would build Tesla’s upcoming Cybertruck electric pickup, as well as be a second site to build the Model Y SUV. It reportedly would be Tesla’s biggest facility, surpassing the company’s vehicle assembly factory in Fremont, California, that employs 10,000 people and its battery factory in Reno, Nevada, that has 6,500 workers.

That isn't something the dinosaurs would do.

It's also not something a company that was in any way battery limited on production to meet demand would do -which AFAIK is still the case for Tesla (especially if they seriously intend to get Y ramped, plus Semi and CT production going anytime soon)

Which is why these are only appearing in test vehicles, not production ones.

Looks very fresh, but that site is closed to European visitors. Can't get it to work in a proxy either. Could you give a short summary?
"Tesla is negotiating terms of a possible incentives deal with Travis County that could bring the electric car maker’s next U.S. assembly plant -- and thousands of jobs -- to Austin, the American-Statesman has learned.

The Travis County Commissioners Court is scheduled to discuss the terms of the potential incentives deal in an executive session on Tuesday, according to people with knowledge of the proceedings. A vote is expected in the coming weeks.
It was unclear Monday whether the negotiations with Travis County signal that Tesla has settled on Austin, or if the company is also continuing to negotiate with Tulsa on possible incentives."

Has this been posted yet?

From the article:

The new facility -- which Tesla calls a “gigafactory” -- would build Tesla’s upcoming Cybertruck electric pickup, as well as be a second site to build the Model Y SUV. It reportedly would be Tesla’s biggest facility, surpassing the company’s vehicle assembly factory in Fremont, California, that employs 10,000 people and its battery factory in Reno, Nevada, that has 6,500 workers.
Strikes me as a little odd because Travis County contains the State Capitol/government and most of Austin, but not the piece of land between Hutto and Taylor that has been the subject of scrutiny. That's in Williamson County which is one up to the north. I very much doubt Travis County has any land cheap enough to put a Texafactory.

Strikes me as a little odd because Travis County contains the State Capitol/government and most of Austin, but not the piece of land between Hutto and Taylor that has been the subject of scrutiny. That's in Williamson County which is one up to the north. I very much doubt Travis County has any land cheap enough to put a Texafactory.

Maybe they would put offices in Austin, for admin, development, R&D, etc, to start moving things out of California.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger

Agree - this seems more likely to be the case than China regs as CPCA estimated 11095 a week ago vs Reuter’s 11 565 today. The move seems overdone for an extra 470 units.