Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Megapack 3 will absorb the sub station. Tesla Energy will stay on top of Stationary through innovation.
That is what Elon said. Huawei FusionPower for utilities is there today and scaling quickly. Albeit their complete grid connect box is physically separate from the battery box allegedly because it itself is highly scalable.

Factually I do not have enough expertise to know how they may differ from the planned Tesla offering, since there aren’t any details given anyway. Despite that this industry is growing so quickly and is so diverse that there is huge room available for a wide variety of options.
Every major global utility supplier is definitely working on these solutions.

Tesla’s own storage growth rate proves how fast this is growing, even though Tesla is not really playing much in many markets. As Elon says, regarding vehicles, they’ll enter many new markets ‘soon’.

Last edited:
I have to admit I found this to be very unlikely. I'm in the middle of getting a 1.2mwp solar farm built in the UK. The switchgear associated with a grid connection is incredibly big, complex and stupidly expensive. And this is the grid company demanding all this. They absolutely do not care if this makes your solar site more expensive.
In our case, even our small solar farm with no battery has to have TWO substations. One is the 'site substation' which is basically our switchgear that connects all the inverter wiring together, and the other is the grid substation which contains the transformer to go from 410v to 11,000v, plus disconnection gear for emergency disconnects if there is a lightning strike etc.
It has literally taken 3 years to get the grid people to finalize their demands for the location, specification anf earthing requirements of all of this, plus a huge amount of paperwork and cash.

Elon might think, in theory 'you can just plug the wires in', but not grid company is going to let anybody do that. They need absolute, firm, total separation of what part of the grid is their problem, and what part is your problem, with all the associated legal responsibility, and real risk of electrical fires, and so-on.

I'll be absolutely stunned if there is a situation where you can 'just plug the wires in' to a megapack in the UK, and I suspect other countries power grids are just as safety-obsessed and bureaucracy-obsessed as ours.
No industry that has phrases like "Connections Use of System Charging Code Modification Proposal process" is going to be casual about plugging in 11,000v cables.
From what I hear, that is why some utility-centric BES providers, such as Huawei, do have an integrated grid connection module, sold with the core BESS but highly customizable to serve the nearly endless regulatory and grid services connection standards.

Last edited:
It really seems crazy to me that they still don't make the model 3 in Berlin. Its the smallest car in the lineup and NOT made in Europe?
I suspect Tesla does not want to overcome the bureaucratic hurdles involved in manufacturing the 3 at this time. Germany has been pushing back against Tesla from the get go.

It really seems crazy to me that they still don't make the model 3 in Berlin. Its the smallest car in the lineup and NOT made in Europe?
I'm sure we will see a second model driving out of the Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg after a summer break. Maybe it's not the one you suggest. We will hear this at 8/8.

It really seems crazy to me that they still don't make the model 3 in Berlin. It’s the smallest car in the lineup and NOT made in Europe?
I think it’s because the equipment to make the model 3 in Freemont and Shanghai is being depreciated over a certain period and they don’t want to put in new better equipment in Berlin until the the equipment is written off or is close to the end of it’s useful economic life in the other 2 factories.

Wow Elon is also describing remoting into cars when they’re stuck like Waymo
This was the most disappointing part of the presentation. Elon was saying that remote control is probably the solution. It means they haven't worked it out yet. They haven't thought about it that much.

Hence, the essential infrastructure for the robotaxi network has not been built yet.

We have seen some evidence that the ride hailing app has been built. So Tesla could start its network with safety drivers relatively soon. They will work on the rest of the infrastructure as they go. It's not a bad approach, but I was hoping they were a little further along.

This was the most disappointing part of the presentation. Elon was saying that remote control is probably the solution. It means they haven't worked it out yet. They haven't thought about it that much.

Hence, the essential infrastructure for the robotaxi network has not been built yet.

We have seen some evidence that the ride hailing app has been built. So Tesla could start its network with safety drivers relatively soon. They will work on the rest of the infrastructure as they go. It's not a bad approach, but I was hoping they were a little further along.
I also would have thought they began training the NN for HW4, but he said later this year they will begin. I think it's safe to say that the 8/8 reveal will be a reveal and not a launch that some thought.

We all expected highland to get megacastings.
Yet it didn't happen.

We all expected the next lower priced model would be a new ground-up design.
Yet Elon canceled that plan as to not make finacial sense at this time... "we can make lower priced M3."

I suspect Berlin will make a 2 door hatch version of M3, with a shorter wheelbase and front and rear megacasts.
With maybe some of new tech from CT like 48V.

This being the real reason there are no megacastings in M3HL.., they didn't bother redeveloping the same, they developed something new.

Concept:
tesla-model-3-hatch-render-2.jpg

Last edited:
Um. Please take that back?

The SO and I had 9 kW of amorphous silicon cells installed on the roof in mid 2008. Total max output power (not normally hit, the sun has to be at just the right angle on a clear day) is 7.8 kW using two inverters.

There was some fump-de-dump with the bureaucracy, so the actual, "We're getting all the bells and whistles" on SRECs and such didn't kick in until early 2009.

It's now 2024. The panels are doing their things; on a non-completely-clear day I observed the larger inverter chugging along at 4.5 kW out of 4.8kW max and the smaller inverter (3kW) at 2.5 kW. Not bad.

The SO and I get about 12 MW-hr/year out of the things. In New Jersey, on the program we are grandfathered into, we get an SREC (Solar Renewable Energy Credit) for every MW-hr generated by the panels; at this time, they're worth $198 on the spot market. That'll end for us at the fifteen year mark in October. We'll then switch over to a different SREC system that gets us $25/MW-hr of energy generated.

Just so we're clear: The SRECs are for energy generated by grid-tied inverters; it's not how much is delivered to the power company.

Being connected to the grid sets us back about $4.95/month. On the other hand, we seem to have a surplus of around 2 MW-hr/year, some of which goes into moving the Teslas around. With Net Metering, a tariff that carries excess energy generation forward from month to month, we earn about $150-$250 a year as a generator, selling energy to PSE&G wholesale. With Net Metering, if the carried-forward amount goes to zero, then we pay retail, just like everybody else.

The net effect, though, is that we seriously haven't paid for electricity since fall of 2008. Really.

About once every couple of years I get up on the roof with one of those long-handled window washer sticks and a bucket and clean the whole business off.

Now, we're using amorphous silicon cells. When one looks at these, they're blue, but kind of mottled looking. At the time of install, these were far cheaper than crystalline panels, which look a flat, dead blue/black. Crystalline panels are also lots more efficient, so one needs fewer of them to reach a given energy generation goal.

Finally: Back when we did this, the approved technology method of the time had one hooking up panels in long strings, putting those strings in parallel, and then feeding the whole conglomeration into a DC->AC inverter that generates 240 VAC. So, for example, one part of the roof has three strings of seven panels each, with each of those strings wired in parallel, for a total of 21 panels. This goes to one inverter. The other set are two strings of 11 panels, also wired in parallel, which goes to the other inverter. So the inverters see incoming voltage and current that ranges from Zero/Zero to some maximum voltage and current, then back to 0/0 at night. Turns out that all of the above is relatively inefficient, since panels have manufacturing variations, resulting in some strings having higher voltages/power than other strings that they're in parallel with; as a result, with 9 kW on the roof, we only get 7.8 kW out, max, for an 86% efficiency.

Modern systems put a DC-DC converter on the back of each panel; one side of the DC-DC is hooked up to the actual solar panel. The other side is wired in series with, roughly, ten other panels. Software communicating between the converters in a string like this fixes the output voltage of a string to 300V. Since the secondaries of the DC-DC converters all have the same current (they're wired in series), those panels with more power than other panels end up having more than ~30V across the secondary, while those with less power have less than ~30V, but with the total assembly always having 300V. Additional strings of ten can then be wired in parallel with the first string so connected, so the whole assembly is at 300V; and that fixed 300V is then fed into a more-or-less fixed input voltage inverter, or inverter/battery box (this is what a Tesla PowerWall is), that converts to 240 VAC. Efficiency of this kind of system is over 90, more than making up for any losses in the DC-DC converters.

Main point, though: This system is still going strong at 14.8 years. When do I expect that the whole business, inverters and all, are going to die?

By the by: The whole business was paid off within six years of the install. At this point, the SRECs are just gravy.
All that may be, but the numbers just don’t work out for me and Gator. For starters we can’t expect that longevity as roofs need frequent replacing — often at the insistence of the insurance company. Then there are hurricanes. Add in that we can buy solar power from FPL and the incentive disappears. Also in my case, I am very tax efficient and cannot use the tax write off..

What are the implications of the approvals of the non-binding advisory stockholder proposals 6 and 7?

6 = reduction of director terms to one year

For Against Abstained Broker Non-Votes
1,231,680,337 1,044,766,276 33,822,277 335,111,943

7 = simple majority voting provisions in governing documents

For Against Abstained Broker Non-Votes
1,225,968,057 1,047,335,839 36,964,994 335,111,943

[Excerpts from SEC document cited by Jim Holder ^.]

I suspect Tesla does not want to overcome the bureaucratic hurdles involved in manufacturing the 3 at this time. Germany has been pushing back against Tesla from the get go.

To say Germany (as a whole) has been pushing back against Tesla is simply not true. There are crazy 'environmentalists' out there and the local water utility has not been very supportive. But other than that, all official institutions (county, state, federal) have been supportive. "Tesla speed" has even become a term when politicians have talked about getting big projects realized quicker than what has been standard in Germany (more bureaucracy than in the US.

I don´t exactly remember, was any US president on site when a Tesla factory in the US was opened? Chancellor Scholz was there for Giga Berlin..

Back on topic - I don´t think implementing Model 3 production in Grünheide would face any regulatory hurdles. How fast they can do it depends on whether they can fit it into the existing buildings..

I'd not sweat it as the premise is wrong. FSD of any kind will never be 100% intervention free because chaos.
This is very elegant actually. When FSD gets stick, even if it is once in 10^89 miles, Tesla need a way to intervene.

Simple and elegant and nothingburger.

Model Y is higher volume, and they could ship Model 3 from China (and the USA) without any regulatory disadvantage other than the 10% tariff.
Clearly, Tesla saw a problem. I don't think labor, but batteries and volume. The Chinese cars are LFP, which is much cheaper.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
Wait, you are saying if I put in a new order now I can get a CT VIN? Why hasn't my order from 2 years ago received a VIN yet?
No, I'm saying if you confirm an order and don't get grey, all season tires, or a Cyberbeast, you can get a VIN fast. Some on the CT forum changed their order from grey to white and instantly received a VIN. I got a VIN in an hour of confirming the order, the delay is that it was still in Texas, but Tesla told me it is expected to arrive Saturday or Sunday.

No, I'm saying if you confirm an order and don't get grey, all season tires, or a Cyberbeast, you can get a VIN fast. Some on the CT forum changed their order from grey to white and instantly received a VIN. I got a VIN in an hour of confirming the order, the delay is that it was still in Texas, but Tesla told me it is expected to arrive Saturday or Sunday.
Can confirm what @uscbucsfan is saying. Last night i switched to white interior on my awd FS and within an hr I received a VIN. Submitted financing info and waiting for the greenlight to lock in a delivery date now

Can confirm what @uscbucsfan is saying. Last night i switched to white interior on my awd FS and within an hr I received a VIN. Submitted financing info and waiting for the greenlight to lock in a delivery date now
Awesome! Congrats! My 11 year old wants to come with me to pick up. He may be more excited than I am.

Gotcha, I misunderstood what you meant about putting an order in. So I am assuming all these people getting VINs put there reservation order in years ago, well before me.

Gotcha, I misunderstood what you meant about putting an order in. So I am assuming all these people getting VINs put there reservation order in years ago, well before me.
There was one person that put their order in November and received an invite, they claim not to be a early shareholder, but I cannot confirm that.

• Informative
Reactions: ShareLofty