Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars for me has always been just a means to get somewhere as a last resort choice and I only ever owned a car right out of school because I had to commute far away for work. So I've never experienced a luxury car and hence my taste hasn't been honed and refined to that of a connoisseur. From that perspective Tesla Model 3s are amazing. And looking at the number of Toyota owners upgrading to 3 I am pretty sure Tesla will be fine.

Perhaps they can cater to the richer clients with luxe interiors in the future once the mission of saving the earth's climate is achieved.

I’m a used vehicle connoisseur.

My 3 is only the second brand new vehicle I’ve ever owned. The first was a bare bones pickup (no air con, no power doors or windows) that my daddy co-signed. I paid it off myself and I owned that truck for 15 years and then gave it to farmer for parts.

The CYBRTRCK will be my third brand new vehicle and I can guarantee I will not wash, wax or otherwise pamper it. I will try my damnedest to dent that puppy and drive over every obstacle in my way. I will haul max loads. I will pull max loads. I will race it. And I will love that truck like I loved my first.

And etching. I’ve already got my design picked out.

If you have this laser-engraved into one of your Cybertruck body panels:
upload_2020-6-16_13-8-57.png

Be careful if you drive it in the deep south. You don't want to get arrested under one of their laws against lewdness or obscenity.

If you have this laser-engraved into one of your Cybertruck body panels:
View attachment 552331
Be careful if you drive it in the deep south. You don't want to get arrested under one of their laws against lewdness or obscenity.

Should be fine with mudflap silhouette instead. I've seen hundreds in the South.

Last edited:
New 8-K filed for renewed/updated agreements between Tesla and Panasonic:
SEC Filing | Tesla, Inc.

Entry Into a Material Definitive Agreement.

On June 10, 2020, Tesla, Inc. and Tesla Motors Netherlands B.V. (collectively, “Tesla”) and Panasonic Corporation and Panasonic Corporation of North America (collectively, “Panasonic”) entered into an amendment and restatement (the “2020 GTC”), of the General Terms and Conditions entered into between Tesla and Panasonic on October 1, 2014, as amended, which governs certain agreements for Panasonic to manufacture lithium-ion battery cells for Tesla at Gigafactory Nevada. The 2020 GTC, among other things, modifies the term to expire 10 years after Panasonic achieves certain manufacturing milestones.

On June 10, 2020, Tesla and Panasonic also entered into the 2020 Pricing Agreement (Gigafactory 2170 Cells) (the “Agreement”), effective as of April 1, 2020 until March 31, 2023, relating to the manufacture and supply by Panasonic of lithium-ion battery cells at Gigafactory Nevada. The Agreement is subject to the 2020 GTC and, among other things, sets forth the specific terms between the parties with respect to pricing, planned investments and new technology, as well as production capacity commitments by Panasonic and purchase volume commitments by Tesla over the first two years of the Agreement.

Tesla and Panasonic have also entered into other previously disclosed agreements relating to the production and supply of lithium-ion battery cells, and Panasonic invested $30.0 million in a private placement of Tesla common stock in November 2010.

Note Jun-10 was the day TSLA broke 1k, and Elon tweeted lol.(well, technically that tweet was Jun 11, but it counts as late night Jun 10 In Elon time)

Last edited:
I'm as bullish as they get, but every new Telsa model has had teething problems, I don't see why MY would be any different.

I expect them to be less than M3 though as they will have learned and improved since then.

Yeah manufacturing is difficult, even more so when it's a new product. Some bugs with the Y will be worked out eventually. My May-2019-M3 was perfect.

Just picked up my new Y yesterday. The LF door wasn't adjusted properly so that it (and the window) juts out away from the body; the rear bumper has a pretty decent gouge near the hitch port/opening; and the RF door has a slight vertical dent on it.

My girlfriend said we should not take delivery, and the sales rep said we didn't have to take it if we didn't want to, but I decided to accept it anyway because I really hate having to drive all the way to Phoenix. Plus, the way I look at it, the car is going to get door dings, the bumpers are going to get scratched, and the door can be aligned some other time.

There were four other MYs being delivered to customers when I was there. According the the sales rep there are at least a couple MYs available for test drives in the Phoenix metro area.

LOVE the car! SOO much bigger and more functional than the 3 it replaced!

This happens every time Tesla releases a new model. It happened with the Model S, Model X, Model 3 and, now, the Model Y.

Yet Tesla's customer satisfaction ratings are far higher than any other brand. And there are a lot of brands out there.

Exactly. There isn't an auto manufacturer out there that isn't constantly dealing with defects, warranty claims, safety recalls, paint issues, etc.

The first many thousand cars are sold to enthusiasts. I bought an early M3 and the small number of problems didn't bother me much. It was part of being "involved." I believe we'll see the same response from early MY owners.

And to clarify, dings and scratches aren't manufacturing problems but probably delivery/transportation issues. The interior is solid and intact, there are no rattles, and in fact the Y is noticeably quieter and less rattly than my 3. And I feel as if they improved on the doors. When closing the doors on my 3 they don't sound too solid when closing, whereas the doors on my Y seem to hook up better and have a more solid sound upon closing, even the maladjusted LF door.

Exactly. There isn't an auto manufacturer out there that isn't constantly dealing with defects, warranty claims, safety recalls, paint issues, etc.
For what it's worth, as a kid, one magazine we always had coming was Consumer Reports. I read it cover to cover, just like everything else I got my hands on. I recall that invariably their auto reviews started with "Our review sample came with 20 (thereabouts) sample defects..." and they would go to list them. Many were commonly found, month after month, the same defects across model and manufacturer.
As a custom cabinet manufacturer for over 30 years, I am painfully aware of what the discerning eye can find when it tries. And, what it misses.
Manufacturing ANYTHING is hard.