Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, the SEC are crooks. Elon just needs to stfu and let his lawyers handle it.

This is my problem with Elon Musk now:

When you are at odds with any branch of the government then you have to accept the fact, that in that situation the government has basically unlimited power over you and you have to play by the rules set out for that situation.

Specifically, if you feel that the actual disagreement is caused by an underlying systemic failure, then you _cannot_ expect to successfully address that underlying systemic failure during that actual disagreement, be it with humor or any other behaviour that can be deemed in violation of the rules that that branch of the government works under.

This is true, whether you are subjecting yourself to the TSA's security circus at the airport or in dealing with the SEC as a billionaire CEO.

It is a problem for Tesla and its investors if Elon Musk allows himself to be sanctioned for failing to understand this.

And as much as this can be deemed a witch hunt, I am not impressed that Elon Musk has allowed himself to provide this opening to his detractors - of which he of all knows that there are many.

So now I am going to consider buying more stock, while the prospect of selling soon wanes. :-(

PS. As for the "underlying systemic failure" the ideas of a class action lawsuit against the SEC sounds interesting.

Last edited:
in the back of my mind, I knew some of Elon's previous comments about the SEC were going to come back and bite him. What a headache at a time when Tesla is making real progress.

They need a real monitoring program at Tesla. He's risking his participation in Tesla for a stupid twitter account.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
So Elon is doubling down (again) against the SEC this morning. We've seen how doubling (and tripling) down has worked for him in his previous battles (pedo tweet, SEC smackdown #1). I see this guy doesn't learn from the past.

Elon and Tesla will be in the news again, all over the world. Many think this is a negative thing, but it is not. Tesla is at the forefront of people's minds. The whole world wants to drive a Tesla. Not despite of all the publicity around his tweets but because of it.

Well, the US government only has effectively unlimited power over him within the US.

Hence my idea that Tesla may relocate headquarters and legal incorporation to China, a more friendly country to Tesla at this point.
Some of you may have noticed that substantial parts of Tesla's (international) corporate activities involve Dutch legal entities. Tesla European HQ is in Amsterdam. Logistics are fine in the nether regions (Netherlands plus Belgium, Luxembourg). Germany is a friendly neighbour, France too. The tax system is superb, the legal system is top notch, the government reliable.Tesla knows all this first hand.

The Amsterdam Stock Exchange would be more than happy to list Tesla. Trading hours would require a little more effort for US shareholders, but the holidays are less in number. Calendars & Hours | Euronext

Thank you very much for this opportunity, SEC.

My only concern with Tesla relocating to Europe is entrenched interests.

However, the Netherlands won't have that much - it'd basically be, what, VDL and DAF (subsidiary of PACCAR) as the main entrenched interests that could be in opposition to Tesla, as well as some oil interests (although Shell is certainly trying to clean their image).

Belgium would be a problem (lots of VAG), Germany would be a huge problem (VAG, BMW, Daimler-Benz), and France would also be a problem (PSA and Renault).

Edit: ...I forgot FCA, which is officially a Dutch company. FCA would very much count as entrenched interests in opposition to Tesla.

Not everyone is a patient. One afternoon can be a long time when you are bored.

I could argue that this SEC tantrum is enough for Elon to begin reviving his plan to take Tesla private with more vigor. The outlook for interest rates is stable in the short run and Tesla becomes a less risky investment by the day. The shorts may wake up with a "funding secured" event that isn't premature.. Just my opinion - I have no inside knowledge..