Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone (especially in UK) know how to do something similar to "Lombard Loans"* for shares that cannot be secured against? Or can they point me to a UK tax planning / mad rich forum? I've never had to think of this stuff before!!!!!!! Edit - where do I rent a wealth manager from? Some time in the future.... but I can dream! Cathie - 14,000 you said?

They're in tax-wrappers (ISA, SIPP Pensions) that don't allow a lender to secure. So I need unsecured loans at a small % of the value of the shares or the value of my house.

The idea is to draw an ever increasing loan against an appreciating asset and never 'have' to sell, eventually paying off when dividends are paid or the person dies. Lombard Loans can roll over year to year.

*Lombard Loans - Lombard credit - Wikipedia -
Lombard credit is the granting of credit to banks against pledged items, mostly in the form of securities or life insurance policies. The pledged items must be readily marketable; in particular, the securities 'eligible for collateral' which are registered on lists. Lending is via central banks. As a general rule, the Lombard rate (interest rate) is around one per cent above discount rate.

The pledging of securities means that the credit institutions have the opportunity of acquiring money in the short term from central banks.

If someone really wants to short NKLA, or any stock for that matter, can’t they just enter a synthetic short position and not worry about the borrow rate?

What am I missing? The risk of losses is still infinite as it is a short position, but hey, who ever said you could make money by betting the wrong way? Is there an added risk with this I am missing? Maybe the stock simply never moving until the options expire? Even then one of the legs is a sale so that would be 100% profit.

Synthetic Short Stock Explained | Online Option Trading Guide

Don't do it. The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent. Gali @ Hyperchange correctly pointed out that Nikola has almost a year of runway to hype from before they need to show any real results.

Let's guess what SP at close:
I'd say 1535
Ok ok I stand corrected, but I'll take it :)

upload_2020-7-10_13-4-8.png

Don't do it. The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent. Gali @ Hyperchange correctly pointed out that Nikola has almost a year of runway to hype from before they need to show any real results.
That's what held me back. Macro environment is too weird and Nikola doesn't have to prove anything at all yet. Plus I don't love shorting.