Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit a sort of weird twisted admiration for that guy.
To be so wrong and to cherry pick data to such an extent is really impressive.

He also presents his BS with a pretty strong conviction.

He reminds me of the young earth creationist I debated a long time ago...so wrong..yet so sure.

If I mute the actual content of what he's saying then I like the guy, I can imagine having a few beers with him, and having some laughs (and not about the $87).

Reality is that he's a paid shill to pump out this nonsense, I read a few years back that this was exposed with another stock he was trashing. I should research that one of these days when $TSLA's stuck in one of its channels (not today, hopefully).

In case anybody here cares about what Cathie has to say about TSLA :). What are the chances one of them asks her(for the millionth time) why she keeps selling TSLA?

Cathie Wood is scheduled to join Carl Quintanilla, Morgan Brennan, and David Faber on CNBC's "Squawk on the Street" tomorrow (July 17) at 10:10 AM ET. The segment will focus on Tesla and disruptive investment strategies. Tune in!

BI excepts sp500 comitte to add even if no profitable q2.
View attachment 565520

TBH I think they dropped the ball by not bringing $TSLA into the index beginning of this year. Was pretty obvious the general trajectory we were taking, although I think the speed of the SP rise took most of us by surprise.

WHAT A DISASTER AT NFLX!

The share holder obliteration is terrifying to behold!

It has actually been a FULL 14 DAYS since it last saw this level.

How can it recover?

What emergency measures does it have to take to stem the high pressure arterial blood that is gushing from its gashed carcass?! The blood roils the dirt in the gutters as pours into the street. YES! BLOOD IN THE STREET!

Who do they have to.... wait a minute.

14 days? hmmmmm.

Never mind.

• Funny
Reactions: capster and AZRI11
Have not seen this one:
Tesla Gigafactory Nevada now produces 13 million battery cells per day - Electrek
Also, there are a few nice tidbits of information. For example, they say that the current production capacity stands at 13 million individual cells per day.

At ~17 Wh per cell, that’s 221 MWh of battery cells per day or 80 GWh per year, which would be a big increase from the latest disclosed official capacity at Gigafactory Nevada.

80GWh/year would explain why they want long range Y only, why they give a go for semi and why they want to increase production at GA4.5... I am starting to think that 140k in Q3 is conservative...
Rob Mauer does the math on this and states 13m cells/day == 1m+ LR 3/Y packs per year. It sounds dubious to me as Tesla is likely to be running at around half that speed in Q2 for 3/Y. So either Tesla has far more energy storage lined up than expected or that number is wrong.

Starts at 3:45

The oil industry strikes back, via their captive government.

Trump administration moves to squash "socially responsible" investing - CBS News

Excerpts:

The Trump Administration is moving to dramatically curtail "socially responsible" investments, an area that has seen a surge of interest in recent years amid mounting alarm about climate change.

The Department of Labor is proposing to change a rule governing employee retirement plans to discourage money managers from so-called socially responsible investing. Under the plan, employers and others who run 401(k) or pension plans would be required to consider only the financial return an investment offers — not other factors such as its environmental impact. The proposal also bars Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) investments from being the default choice in any public or private retirement plan.

The rule, which potentially affects more than $10 trillion held in U.S. retirement plans, poses "the biggest single threat that the responsible investment industry faces," according to Fiona Reynolds, CEO of Principles for Responsible Investing, a United Nations-affiliated investor initiative.

The Trump Administration has made it clear that it sees ESG as a threat to investment in fossil fuels. In an 2019 executive order aimed at encouraging fossil-fuel development, the White House asked the Department of Labor to report on "trends in energy investments" by retirement plans, and to review rules regarding such plans. More recently, President Donald Trump has accused banks that declined to fund oil and gas development of "discriminating against these great energy companies."

The rule is open for public comment until July 30. More than 150 comments have been submitted so far, though none have been made public.​

Very bullish! :D

The US Government having to force people not to invest in ESG.

This is what the MMs are doing with TSLA. And when they fail to hold it down any longer we know what happens.

At some point the US will get a new administration and stopping the forces holding down ESG will make the whole sector spring like a released coil.

But what a weird thing to use your government for. o_O

Rob Mauer does the math on this and states 13m cells/day == 1m+ LR 3/Y packs per year. It sounds dubious to me as Tesla is likely to be running at around half that speed in Q2 for 3/Y. So either Tesla has far more energy storage lined up than expected or that number is wrong.

Well, the production is not 100% defect free, some cells will be scrapped.

I suppose this may be a generational issue for me. I’m 64, when I was a kid, we had 3 TV stations; and television was amazing. Now, I have 500 channels, and I can’t find a damn thing to watch.

During the pandemic, many folks have sat home with unemployment plus $600 per week. This was not a lack of discretionary income.

I think it is simply too many options. Just me?
Fwiw, in Italy I think millennials and younger people stopped watching movies on TV. The occasional show, yes, but watching a movie on TV, with ads, feels weird. TV feels weird in general to me.

https://twitter.com/jpr007/status/1284005917382471680

To the best of our knowledge the nominal Panasonic cell production capacity at GigaFactory Nevada is 5,200,000 cells per day

- from 13 lines at 400,000 cells per day each

It is certainly a rapid expansion if they have gone from 5.2M to 13M cells per day in a short time-frame..

However, all indications are that Tesla is no longer cell constrained, so I'm waiting for Battery Day and inclined to keep an open mind.

So I was watching youtube and one video showed up on my feed about how it made sense for Tesla to buy a lithium producer (technically just landowner for now I believe, as it needs more investment for production).

I didn't think it made much sense. Tesla is at a scale where they are the largest consumer of lithium raw materials and that give them a lot of bargaining power. Buying a lithium mine owner doesn't make too much sense as far as vertical integration is concerned.

However, what do you guys think it'd make sense for Tesla to purchase next?

Up until now, Tesla has only been able to make (relatively) small purchases. With their market cap soaring near 300B, it opens the opportunity to do something much bigger, like companies already in the low B valuation.

I personally think, if Tesla were to make it big with its energy business, it should buy a utility provider such as PG&E or something similar in scale elsewhere.

It makes almost perfect sense if they were to do V2G and large scale of solar/battery installations. They would hold the largest power bank in the world and sell it to whoever willing to buy. With the utility company in the middle, it's hard to maximize the benefit of such system.

And once they reach the necessary capacity, they would be able to shut down their fossil fuel power generator at will. Accelerating the transition to sustainable energy.

Does anyone here invest in TSLA convertible notes ? And do they make sense to buy ?

I bought some 15.3.2022 2.375% back in 2017, they are up 333%.
As I understand you have less downside and less upside vs common stock, but still you participate in SP appreciation. Now its like holding common stock. IIRC Ron Baron has most of TSLA holdings in convertible notes.

I personally think, if Tesla were to make it big with its energy business, it should buy a utility provider such as PG&E or something similar in scale elsewhere.

It makes almost perfect sense if they were to do V2G and large scale of solar/battery installations. They would hold the largest power bank in the world and sell it to whoever willing to buy. With the utility company in the middle, it's hard to maximize the benefit of such system.

And once they reach the necessary capacity, they would be able to shut down their fossil fuel power generator at will. Accelerating the transition to sustainable energy.

Not necessarily wise, but if they did buy a power company, I'd love it if was a heavy user of coal, 'natural' gas etc and they closed it down. Removing some money from lobbyists, FUDsters and bent politicians would be useful. If they could lower costs in the process, it sends a great message too, especially if customers had emails with this info on it.

So I was watching youtube and one video showed up on my feed about how it made sense for Tesla to buy a lithium producer (technically just landowner for now I believe, as it needs more investment for production).

I didn't think it made much sense. Tesla is at a scale where they are the largest consumer of lithium raw materials and that give them a lot of bargaining power. Buying a lithium mine owner doesn't make too much sense as far as vertical integration is concerned.

However, what do you guys think it'd make sense for Tesla to purchase next?

Up until now, Tesla has only been able to make (relatively) small purchases. With their market cap soaring near 300B, it opens the opportunity to do something much bigger, like companies already in the low B valuation.

I actually think Tesla expanding into mining and raw materials processing makes sense, because it will speed up the achievement of the end goal of the mission and increase overall margins.

For electricity, where market rules permit being a generator and running V2G and VPP in partnership with retailers.

Being a utility implies managing transmission, and there are lots of tricky issues, doing it right is very expensive

If via Boring co tech they find a way to underground residential electricity lines affordably, that has a number of advantages, .and might significantly lower maintenance costs.. But there is still a lot of other expensive infrastructure to maintain, and a lot of interested parties in the loop.

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon