Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they pushing this, I am suspicious about Fidelity, are they trying to create liquidity in stock ?, as S&P 500 inclusion will lead to not enough share available without pushing price upward.

This argument could potentially be made if Fidelity is only targeting non-margin accounts. I have both a margin and a non-margin (Roth IRA) account with Fidelity and was not contacted by them at all regarding an overweight TSLA position.

• Informative
Reactions: FrankSG
Seriously? Do I really have to mention Amazon who got to 500 billion market cap with crap margins?

Again, why are people ignoring future growth when determining value. Q3 will have greater than 50% QonQ. Q4 will likely have another 25% growth. 2021 revenue is going to grow above 50%. 2022 is has likely 40-50% growth. No company doing billions in sales every quarter is experiencing that type of growth.
AWS doesn not get crap margins and people saw that coming. FSD does not get crap margins and people may see this coming if you believe this is a fundamental story.

Even apple with a higher margin than Tesla manufacturing is not getting the love soley based on iPhone sales but from high margin service sales.

All trillion cap companies have a margin story.

Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
From where I sit, Tesla has GROWN their lead over the rest of the pack over the last year as well as over the last 3 years. The recent price cuts were but one indicator of this.

Price cuts are a sign of Tesla needing to juice order flow during those regions and during those periods. Nothing more. Nothing less. They are NOT a sign of Tesla growing their lead. The fact that Tesla can cut costs rapidly such that they can still have good gross margins, is incredibly wonderful, but even more wonderful to cut costs, keep prices the same and have higher gross margins.

I.e. if Tesla has been truly present and near future production constrained during periods when they cut prices, those price cuts would only have achieved two things:

1) Decreased Operating Cash Flows: Meaning Tesla had to do Capital Raises (diluting shareholder value and incurring more debt). Those price cuts in Q2 if maintained throughout 2020 mean that Tesla will have $1B / year less cash flow which could have been well used servicing debt, or in building out Superchargers and Service Centers more rapidly, if not even more rapid future GF expansion.

2) When production constrained, price cuts would increase customer wait times as more orders come in. This increases dissatisfaction.

Tesla carefully pulls and removes demand levers (including prices) as necessary to maintain a healthy, but not too large backlog of orders.

If Tesla starts regularly hitting over 30% gross margins and cut prices so that they are not gouging, that may be a sign of it not being to juice demand. But even in that case, the only result may be that the order book grows too large, and white times grow too long.

I'm happy you're here because everyone believing the in the company and being an investor is positive.

But I would highly recommend changing your logic and labeling Tesla a automaker. It doesn't matter.........numbers matter. Tesla revenue growth, margins, profits and ebita matter. I don't care that Tesla's market cap is larger than all of traditional auto makers. I don't know how you think Tesla is ever going to be a trillion dollar company with that logic.

Like why is the market cap of other auto maker's even mentioned here? They have no growth........of course they're going to valued incredibly low. There's no growth in their current sector(gas vehicles) and they show no competitiveness in the EV sector. Most of them are honestly quite worthless from a investment point of view.

Sometime Elon's statement is not understood easily, Tesla's top product is their factory, machine that make machine. This translate into lowest cost of product ,If competition stay on current path of off the shelf machinery Tesla will have better margin for years to come.

Well there is the lunch time expected drop. Now lets see what the rest of the story is. Looks like THEY are planning on this never going higher this week.

Ah the good old lunch time drop, which happens every time except for the two times that it doesn't and the stock jumps up a ton in the past couple weeks. Just like all the other "expected" patterns. 50% of the time they work every time.

AWS doesn not get crap margins and people saw that coming. FSD does not get crap margins and people may see this coming if you believe this is a fundamental story.

Even apple with a higher margin than Tesla manufacturing is not getting the love soley based on iPhone sales but from high margin service sales.

All trillion cap companies have a margin story.

The comparison to Amazon and AWS makes Tesla's position and future potential even more obvious. Amazon would have been unprofitable for many more years without AWS. Hell if you take away AWS today, Amazon would struggle to post a consistent profit since they invest heavily.

Tesla at scale will be decently profitable without Autonomy. Don't get me wrong, Tesla doesn't become a trillion dollar company without at least some sort of value in Autonomy. But just through Tesla's dominance in Auto and Energy and the margin when they are at scaled of 1-2 million cars a year will result in enough for a 600-700 billion market cap.

Part of the reason I'm so excited for Q3 earnings is we finally get to see Tesla's earnings power, including margin expansion, at a new level of scale. We haven't been able to clearly see that earnings growth potential(though it's hidden there if you look at Q1's 2020 earnings in comparison to say Q2 2019 earnings and it might become more obvious in Q2 2020 earnings even though Tesla was shut down for half the quarter)

Last edited:
Ah the good old lunch time drop, which happens every time except for the two times that it doesn't and the stock jumps up a ton in the past couple weeks. Just like all the other "expected" patterns. 50% of the time they work every time.
You completely do not know how to read an options volume chart or pay attention to the post I quoted. It is expected today. That is why they are timing articles to control the price as signals on when to sell. This is all orchestrated. They have to control the price.

OT but not. Briggs & Stratton filed for bankruptcy yesterday. Who would buy a gas lawn mower or trimmer these days? Legacy auto days are seriously numbered.
Agreed! Bought a 21" battery powered mower a couple years ago and it's great... no noise, no pollution, and no grass to pick up as it's an excellent mulcher. Have had battery trimmers for 10 years or more (extension cord before that... not good when you accidentally cut the cable though), would never go back. And my next rider purchase will also be battery as 42" cut models are very affordable now.

Things like generators will take a while as they're being used to actually make electricity, but replacements are coming quickly as we all know!

Hah ha ... from 1611 to 1571 in 10 mins ( 13:12 7/21/2020 ) .. the plungers really want to knock the weak hands or something ... must admit it's so cool being able to watch the circus with the conviction it's a side play .. the SP's climb is not going to be stopped (unless of course an act of G, like a stock market crash - the pundits keep saying we're in a bubble, the deficit bla bla, except I 've heard it every year since .. '09, and still nothing.. Not saying it wouldn't be nice to put things like the budget in order, or rather to simply have a rational allocation of labor and investments)

Price cuts are a sign of Tesla needing to juice order flow during those regions and during those periods. Nothing more. Nothing less. They are NOT a sign of Tesla growing their lead. The fact that Tesla can cut costs rapidly such that they can still have good gross margins, is incredibly wonderful, but even more wonderful to cut costs, keep prices the same and have higher gross margins.

What I've noticed is that Tesla cuts prices as a pre-emptive measure, typically when they have increased production substantially. They wisely keep their products production constrained (while continuing to make as many as physically possible). If they didn't have enough margin to do this profitably they would do what other auto makers do, which is to shut down production and lay people off. The fact that Tesla has room to cut prices and keep production going full steam ahead points to their superior margins.

When Tesla wants to juice demand at the end of the quarter to clear out the delivery channels as cleanly as possible they use incentives in the referral program. But make no mistake, we cannot discuss Tesla's "lead" over other manufacturers without discussing price, margins and Tesla's ability to cut prices while remaining profitable. Because even crappy, outdated cars will sell well if you mark the price low enough. The room to cut prices is a integral component of a manufacturers "lead" over the competition.