Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once nice thing about that Vermont lake case is - assuming they salvage the wreckage before the lake melts and Tesla is allowed to inspect it - it should be easy to confirm or deny. The titanium armour plate shouldn't melt from the battery fire. It should be recoverable, and any denting or puncturing from the claimed (delayed-action?) lake rock would be visible.

Tesla would also be able to see if there were any other sources of puncture (e.g. a bullet or whatnot) and test for accelerants in the wreckage (normally finding gasoline residue in a car wouldn't be suspicious, but in this case... ;) ).

Question: I'm thinking about rolling - and deleveraging somewhat - starting tomorrow (assuming that there's confirmation of payment of the bonds). In the process some of my call profits (barring some near-term disaster that eliminates them - don't want to jinx myself!) will get turned into stock. I was thinking about doing this through put selling - which I've never done before on Interactive Brokers.

While I understand "how puts work", what I don't have experience is how it plays out in practice. For anyone on IB, when someone executes a put on you... what exactly happens? E.g. I assume there's some sort of notification given? Does the system expect the transaction to occur instantaneously, or am I given time to settle it and decide what to convert to cash? I'm just trying to figure out how much cash / margin balance I'll need to maintain in IB if I decide to go this route.

Reactions: neroden
While I understand "how puts work", what I d on't have experience is how it plays out in practice. For anyone on IB, when someone executes a put on you... what exactly happens?

If the PUT expires ITM, and the holder decides to exercise (which is the default) (you'd better say if the holder does not actively prevent the exercise), the PUT disappears and you will see your new TSLA position on Saturday. I think the assignment happens Sat early morning ET.

Does the system expect the transaction to occur instantaneously, or am I given time to settle it and decide what to convert to cash?
The option holder has sole power over that (and if the option expires ITM, you usually get assigned - there is a random pool from which the contracts are drawn that will not be assigned if some option holder(s) decide not to exercise). You can't do anything; however, once you got assigned, you can turn around and sell the shares.

I'm just trying to figure out how much cash / margin balance I'll need to maintain in IB if I decide to go this route.
you get the premium credited instantly. Should you get assigned, because the option expires ITM, you will need to pay the strike
--> I'd venture the formula is (strike - premium) x number of contracts x [IB's secret formula to calculate your margin credit eligibility]

E.g. I assume there's some sort of notification given?
Not 100% sure, but I don't think I've received notifications. The new position just appeared in my TWS.

Last edited:
Question: I'm thinking about rolling - and deleveraging somewhat - starting tomorrow (assuming that there's confirmation of payment of the bonds). In the process some of my call profits (barring some near-term disaster that eliminates them - don't want to jinx myself!) will get turned into stock. I was thinking about doing this through put selling - which I've never done before on Interactive Brokers.

While I understand "how puts work", what I don't have experience is how it plays out in practice. For anyone on IB, when someone executes a put on you... what exactly happens? E.g. I assume there's some sort of notification given? Does the system expect the transaction to occur instantaneously, or am I given time to settle it and decide what to convert to cash? I'm just trying to figure out how much cash / margin balance I'll need to maintain in IB if I decide to go this route.

Risk reversal strategy. Look it up. You sell way out of money puts (2021 leaps). With the same exact money you buy calls. Net $0. Delta ~0.5. Theta ~0. It "freezes" ~$5-6K from you capital.
Worst case scenario TSLA crashes and you end up with (say) TSLA stock costing you $190.

Edit: With relation to margin in IB- it changes according to the stock's price - Margin Calculator
Until you feel more confident- just imagine your put might exercise tomorrow, so have the cash ready.

Last edited:
TIL that there's a baby elephant named Elon Tusk:

Big, Beautiful, And Rare: Twin Elephants In Tanzania

Today, the twins—brother, “Elon Tusk,” and sister, “Emma” (after the actress Emma Watson)—are 8 months old, playful, robust, and starting, in the words of Foley, “to pad out nicely.”

Eloise-with-Twins-WCS-Tanzania-Program.jpg

Who's going to be Elon's female twin? GM's CEO Mary T. Barta?

:D

Then I vote for Emma Watson, her thinking is very likely not limited to traditional car making.

Also, isn't she some kind of child progeny capable of amazing, magical feets?

That's relevant, since we all know that sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Lastly, she is outspoken when it comes to women's rights, that can help against claims of gender discrimination at Tesla's plants.

Emma Watson, that must be the answer to the riddle...

Then I vote for Emma Watson, her thinking is very likely not limited to traditional car making.

Also, isn't she some kind of child progeny capable of amazing, magical feets?

That's relevant, since we all know that sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Lastly, she is outspoken when it comes to women's rights, that can help against claims of gender discrimination at Tesla's plants.

Emma Watson, that must be the answer to the riddle...
I'm sure Emma Watson is the answer to many people's riddles...just probably not this one. lol!

Dan

All of those pesky titanium-plate-puncturing rocks on the surfaces of frozen lakes.... ;)

Oh, I'm sorry, was the argument instead that he hit some metal-puncturing rock en route to the lake, but then merrily kept on driving as if nothing was wrong until the battery spontaneously decided, "Meh, I'm going to ignite now" half an hour later?

I hear the owner has hired a spokesman.

View attachment 381362
Girl...you are on a roll this week! You should have been a stand up comic! LOL!

Dan

Indeed. IIRC, he’s in the nuclear camp, also in thorium reactors.
And that’s good, we need billionaires supporting all kinds of emission free electricity generation, if only to have a plan B if solar doesn’t grow as expected.

I disagree. Thorium reactors in my view are similar to fuel cells, in that they're used in arguments to delay progress. For many years the car industry had told everyone that fuel cells will solve all problems and are just around the corner in a few years. Thorium reactors are used very similarly in pro-nuclear arguments, but if they are so amazing, why doesn't everyone build them? Meanwhile in the real world economic (and potentially other) disasters like Hinkley Point are built.

I don't think so. I think the preceding 20 trading days are Jan 31 - Feb 28:

That's not what the prospectus provided:

"Ÿ if the relevant conversion date occurs on or after the applicable Free Conversion Date, the 20 consecutive VWAP trading day period beginning on, and including, the 22nd scheduled trading day immediately preceding the applicable maturity date (if such scheduled trading day is not a VWAP trading day, the immediately following VWAP trading day)."