Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of those pesky titanium-plate-puncturing rocks on the surfaces of frozen lakes...

Once nice thing about that Vermont lake case is - assuming they salvage the wreckage before the lake melts and Tesla is allowed to inspect it - it should be easy to confirm or deny. The titanium armour plate shouldn't melt from the battery fire. It should be recoverable, and any denting or puncturing from the claimed (delayed-action?) lake rock would be visible.

Tesla would also be able to see if there were any other sources of puncture (e.g. a bullet or whatnot) and test for accelerants in the wreckage (normally finding gasoline residue in a car wouldn't be suspicious, but in this case... ;) ).

The bottom of the pack is still aluminum. The Titanium plate protects protects front end components while 2 additional aluminum pieces deflect and/or capture debris. None of those help if you hit an object at speed in reverse....

The first of the three shields is a rounded, hollow aluminum bar that is designed to either deflect objects entirely or, in the case of a self-stabilizing, ultra high strength object, like a three ball steel tow hitch, absorb the impact and force it to pike upwards well forward of the battery pack. This pierces the plastic aeroshield and front trunk liner, but causes no damage affecting safety and the car remains in control and driveable before, during and after the impact.
This is followed by a titanium plate, which has exceptional strength-to-weight properties and is more commonly seen in aerospace or military applications. The titanium plate prevents sensitive front underbody components from being damaged and aids in neutralizing the road debris.
By this point, the vast majority of objects will have been deflected or crushed. For the rare piece of debris that remains intact, we added a third shield, which is a shallow angle, solid aluminum extrusion that further absorbs impact energy, provides another layer of deflection and finally causes the Model S to ramp up and over the object if it is essentially incompressible and immovable.
Videos of the tests in the blog post:
Tesla Adds Titanium Underbody Shield and Aluminum Deflector Plates to Model S

The bottom of the pack is still aluminum. The Titanium plate protects protects front end components while 2 additional aluminum pieces deflect and/or capture debris. None of those help if you hit an object at speed in reverse....
Driving "at speed in reverse" doesn't sound as if it is the best plan to obtain old age.

That's not what the prospectus provided:

"Ÿ if the relevant conversion date occurs on or after the applicable Free Conversion Date, the 20 consecutive VWAP trading day period beginning on, and including, the 22nd scheduled trading day immediately preceding the applicable maturity date (if such scheduled trading day is not a VWAP trading day, the immediately following VWAP trading day)."
Can I rate that as 'Informative' without being 'Helpful'?

ie: did not clear things up for me.

Cheers!

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Agreed, showing off stop sign, stop light, remote control Tesla, parking lot navigation etc. Would be a really cool demo.
Elon literally just said that FSD will be 'feature complete' by the end of 2019. Remember the ARK Invest podcast? He's not going to risk a demo before the Alpha software is even finished. What if its involved in an accident?

Today's not about FSD, even if you really, really want it to be.

Tusk rhymes with Truck, and close spelling. Elephants, like trucks, are also big and can push and move things around. The tusk could also symbolize a truck's tow-hitch.

Elon also mentioned that this was his favorite project, even more so than the Y. Though he did say that it may only be revealed this summer (perhaps with the Y). Maybe not a live reveal tomorrow, but some teaser images and specs and perhaps reveal, production timelines. He may want to stay abreast of the recent developements with Rivian, GM, Amazon, and also Ford. JM2C

I'm leaning this way also, but with the tusks referring to a fork lift feature on the Tesla Pickup. Additional crazy ideas of it being the Cyborg Dragon with and articulated lifting arm (dragon neck/ teeth).
New casting operation could be for the Titanium pieces. Elon already knows it will be divisive, so why do a big media thing. Tesla dropped the referral program, so no mass invite...
(And I want a pony pickup)
Or it's the Cyborg Dragon which is an industrial multiuse product (electric excavator/ Dingo/ Boxer) , not the pickup.

(Apologies to the TMCer who mentioned forks earlier, I'm not finding your post to link)

did not clear things up for me.

The maturity date is March 1 (which is a trading day)

Count back 22 trading days preceding March 1 to January 29 (February 18 was Presidents' Day and the markets were closed).

Count forward 20 trading days from January 29 to February 26 to find the end of the VWAP pricing period.

Edit: I refresh fast...
Leaving the useful information in.
The titanium plate prevents sensitive front underbody components from being damaged and aids in neutralizing the road debris.

You can look up the piece 1038621-00-B on epc.teslamotors.com, chassis front subframe, only item listed under titanium for the S. Called a bash piece on the X ,1037112-00-A I believe, may not be titanium there.

10 MPH in reverse is fast for a parking lot and can do some damage. Also, spinning your car on ice is fun
(if an X will let you do a 180 slide turn/ Rockford).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: shlokavica22
That is aluminum bottom of the pack.
Not

You can look up the piece 1038621-00-B on epc.teslamotors.com, chassis front subframe, only item listed under titanium for the S. Called a bash piece on the X ,1037112-00-A I believe, may not be titanium there.

You refresh TMC often ;) That post existed for maybe 30 seconds before I realized that the picture was mislabeled and deleted it.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
An acquaintance, who owns a Model 3, thinks the announcement is Elon stepping down as CEO.

Any comments on this possiblity or effect on TSLA if that were to happen?

As in "Nellie the elephant packed her trunk and said goodbye to the circus"?

ON CNBC now:

upload_2019-2-28_13-28-46.png

I disagree. Thorium reactors in my view are similar to fuel cells, in that they're used in arguments to delay progress. For many years the car industry had told everyone that fuel cells will solve all problems and are just around the corner in a few years. Thorium reactors are used very similarly in pro-nuclear arguments, but if they are so amazing, why doesn't everyone build them? Meanwhile in the real world economic (and potentially other) disasters like Hinkley Point are built.

No one wants to invest the money. Thorium reactors work, but they need to be designed and extensively tested. The US could have gone that route in the 50s and 60s. Instead they created nuclear reactor designs that yielded copious amounts of fissionable materials to produce stockpiles of nuclear weapons. As bad as that sounds, they then allowed the companies involved to go out and market these same designs to the rest of the world to sell only for ‘energy production’. Every now and then the US decides we may have to nuke the countries that we sold the designs to because they seem to be using the nuclear waste produced to produce nuclear weapons.

There is a lot more to say here but my brain hurts every time this topic comes up and I don’t want my brain to hurt.