Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, but how are those calculated exactly? Margin rates for volatile stocks like TSLA seem to change at times, is there a maximum it can change to? Where do I find the current margin rates for various stocks on IB? Seems like TSLA is 75% atm?

Basically, given a certain number of TSLA shares and a certain loan value, I want to know what price the stock needs to stay above for them to not liquidate (part of) my position.

If my entire portfolio was TSLA shares, that number would probably be low enough that I don't have to worry about it whatsoever, but I don't think they allow margin loans against long options positions, so as is that number may be too high for my comfort..

I think it depends on your portfolio size at IB. I think I could get well under 1%.

This seems like the cheapest way to get a loan, but I think I currently have too few shares and far too many options to make it work. I'll only take this route if I think my chance of getting a margin call effectively zero. If in the next few months the stock goes up to $2,500 or so, which is when I plan to convert most of my options to shares, an IB margin loan should cover my tuition fees no problem.

I think maybe the best option will be to take out a student loan at 7-8%, but aim to pay it off in full in January 2022 before payments start, so that I don't actually have to pay any interest on it. Presumably TSLA will be higher at that point, and I won't mind liquidating a tiny part of my portfolio to pay it off. Today at $1,500 I'd really like to avoid selling anything.

I know I can do that, but I can't find their exact margin requirement for TSLA, how this could change over time, and if there's a maximum margin requirement it could go up to, etc.

That'd involve selling (covered) call options, but I don't feel comfortable selling TSLA calls at this point in time.

I wasn't referring to Covered Calls. Synthetic Long Stock was what I had in mind. I don't have expertise in this, just sharing in case this is helpful to raise some significant part of the funds.

• Informative
Reactions: FrankSG
Huge and massive step function increase when FSD is feature complete.
to paraphrase Elon.

If FSD is feature complete by the end of year, the Huge step function
Stock price Increase should follow thereafter. Assuming that is a true statement,

Which out of the money call strike would
You Select. Any suggestions ?

Reactions: UncaNed
I don't know. Considering the people who live in the largest city in Missouri decided that "Kansas City" would be an appropriate name for their town, I'm not sure you should be one to be critical! ;)
Don't get me started on Missourians. (I'm a transplant from the Mid-East) Although Missouri does allow for hard liquor sales in places like Walgreens. That's awesome, but might explain a few things.

Last edited:
Last two days, Macros have drifted down strongly in last ten minutes as big boy volume comes in.

Visa, Starbucks and Mondelez all reported better than expected earnings after market close today. AMZN, AAPL and GOOGL are all reporting on the 30th. Friday could be very interesting one way or the other, Big earnings week for sure,

Macros drifting down.

Craig Johnson is a managing director and technical strategist at Piper Sandler (formerly Piper Jaffray). He was a regular guest of mine on my old TV show, and still sends me his newsletters.

Below is what Craig wrote this morning regarding the macro-market:

In summary, the reality of a potential bumpy road to recovery caught up with equity market momentum last week. Uncertainty over the path of the COVID-19 outbreak, a looming fiscal cliff, and rising geopolitical risk with China prompted some of the recent profit taking pressure. However, we do not expect momentum to meaningfully stall based on a backdrop of unprecedented global stimulus and continued progress toward a virus vaccine. The technical setup for the broader market remains constructive and currently indicates near-term weakness should be bought. We reiterate our year-end price objective on the SPX of 3,600.

More freedom like putting people in cages for enjoying a harmless plant or keeping gay people from being married. (until SCOTUS ruled)

Honestly I find both CA and TX people to be insufferable at times. I'm sick of them both, and both states need to make changes.

What else would nickel miners be mining?

;)

From my own first hand experience I strongly agree. They are basically like government agencies.
No, this is all about freedom for his earnings.

Last edited:
here is a video from ...2016, in case you are interested.

sorry..did not see someone else already posted.

OEM06_180229968_AR_0_TEKFTUTIWZYF.jpg

Wonderful. The odd vehicle here and there within the last decade. You’re right, and you missed the point. Congratulations.

• Funny
Reactions: Ocelot
to paraphrase Elon.

Stock price Increase should follow thereafter. Assuming that is a true statement,

Feature complete this year is still L2 though that doesn't really monetize anything other than allowing them to recognize some (but still not all) of FSD deferred revenue...see all the folks who refuse to buy FSD today because the light/sign stuff is so manual a process.... with higher level automation maybe next year... (and it was supposed to be feature complete by end of last year too, this year was supposed to be Tesla robotaxis approved in at least one or more jurisdictions which clearly ain't happening- so there's that).

to paraphrase Elon.

End of which year?

I've heard this somewhere before...