Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious what you envision happening over the next few months with TSLA SP? I can understand your actions given your 10y valuation, but do you not think there will be a further appreciation of the SP with the various news on the horizon? Or just figuring that since a lot of people are expecting that, the opposite will find a way to happen?
I expect great things out of Tesla in the next few months ... and so does everyone else. SP is up 500 pts on S&P/battery day speculation. (That's almost 100B.) There are a lot of people looking for an exit point whose gains are about to go long term. There won't be a shortage of shares for sale anytime soon. I'm beating them to the punch (at least that's the theory). I sold 1/3 at $1,740 and covered calls to help protect the rest. Sold a bunch this morning at $1,472 +/- and still have twenty percent of my position left.

I also bought a few traders this afternoon at 1,425 that will be sold on Monday.

I expect great things out of Tesla in the next few months ... and so does everyone else. SP is up 500 pts on S&P/battery day speculation. (That's almost 100B.) There are a lot of people looking for an exit point whose gains are about to go long term. There won't be a shortage of shares for sale anytime soon. I'm beating them to the punch (at least that's the theory). I sold 1/3 at $1,740 and covered calls to help protect the rest. Sold a bunch this morning at $1,472 +/- and still have twenty percent of my position left.

I also bought a few traders this afternoon at 1,425 that will be sold on Monday.
Cool, peace dude GL

Reactions: Tslynk67
They really aren't. I've been scoping them for a few months now. I figure there must be drawbacks to island ownership that the uninitiated don't consider. Because there are a plethora of seriously cheap ones, with houses already and all.

Well, for starters you need a boat to bring everything to and from; cat food, water, beer, building supplies, fuel unless you can do solar, the Tesla to drive around even if it’s just the Cyber ATV, etc... I haven’t checked yet, but I’m pretty sure Amazon et al don’t deliver.

What is your buyback point?

• Disagree
Reactions: SpaceCash
Well, for starters you need a boat to bring everything to and from; cat food, water, beer, building supplies, fuel unless you can do solar, the Tesla to drive around even if it’s just the Cyber ATV, etc... I haven’t checked yet, but I’m pretty sure Amazon et al don’t deliver.
You also need to fix anything that breaks. And then there's security.

Tesla must be the only stock you have to write an essay explaining why you are selling. I noticed this pattern on Reddit as well. It's almost like people need to convince themselves selling is a good decision based on logic

Tesla must be the only stock you have to write an essay explaining why you are selling. I noticed this pattern on Reddit as well. It's almost like people need to convince themselves selling is a good decision based on logic
Well, that's not a surprise due to the potential massive upside. The only legit reason to sell is if you need the cash now for eat'n money.

We get it you'd like us to sell

If one takes a look at the chart over the last year, one DOES need to explain why they're selling. Not to anybody else, but certainly to themself. Selling now is like catching a falling knife, but reversed

To be honest, there will always be people who think it'll go up along with people who think it'll go down. You can only rely on your own model to make the best decisions. Personally, my model shows $1T by 2025-2026.
My model says $10T by 2029 with 90% probability, homo sapien distinction is the other 10% chance.

Last edited:
This is only true under the assumption that all charging is done at fast charging stations. In reality most people, will use slow chargers where they park their car, work, home etc. Basically 90% of the revenue of a gas station is gone because people will slow charge majority of their driving needs. Electricity is 1/3 cost per mile compared to oil; therefore roughly 97% of gas station revenue is gone excluding merchandise sale. This is the reason I believe third party superchargers are not growing as fast. They need a gigantic fleet to break even. The cost of a supercharger must be included in the cost of the car. This where the business model is fundamentally different from oil/gas station. For traditional OEMs, this is a chicken and egg problem. Unless they sell huge number of EV cars, they cannot embark on building a gigantic network of fast chargers and they do not want to sell a large number for EVs.
I believe this is why Tesla started building Superchargers themselves because they realized that in the new EV world an OEM will also have to provide charging needs. Remember, a supercharger costs substantially lesser than a gas station.

I know people should only be using fast chargers or road trips, including business trips and holidays.

These are the precise times when most reasonable people don't mind the operator making some mark up on the electricity, say 20%-30% perhaps even higher. Some people might seek out a cheaper option, but that cheaper option is making a lower margin.. and that might affect the quality of the service.

When Tesla first started free Supercharging for Model S/X, the fleet size didn't justify paid charging, now the fleet size is sufficient for paid charging to make a contribution, and for free Supercharging for the whole fleet to be more expensive.

In some places paid Supercharging only makes a token contribution...

But if we imagine a fleet size 2X-5X the current fleet size, larger stations with attached shops now makes sense, a customer might spend $10 on charging with a $3 margin and $50 in the shop with a $20 margin...

The attached retail shop/cafe/restaurant is the big opportunity, so far Tesla hasn't tapped that in any meaningful way, but as the fleet gets larger, so does the retail opportunity.

Elon has always said Supercharging will not be a profit center, but he never said it can't break-even, or that retail can't be attached.

Even if Tesla doesn't decide to tap the fast charging + retail opportunity, others will, once fleet size makes that attractive..

What we will see here is some businesses will tap into future opportunities better than others, fast charging needs a lot of up front investment with a low rate of return, so perhaps it is profitable over an 8-10 year time-frame, but the attached retail might be profitable over a much shorter time-frame.

Up to now small fleet size has been a big problem especially for non-Tesla cars, so yes a chicken and egg, but once the eggs start showing up anyway, chickens are inevitable. Regardless of the fast charging issues, people are going to start buying more EVs.

We get it you'd like us to sell

If one takes a look at the chart over the last year, one DOES need to explain why they're selling. Not to anybody else, but certainly to themself. Selling now is like catching a falling knife, but reversed

Oh, I am not selling. I agree with you, selling now does not make sense at all. I was talking about that other guy who felt like he had to explain to himself that it was a good to sell.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster