Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah haha, if we get all quotey what Elon actually tweeted was:
  • "Shanghai Giga production of Model 3/Y will serve greater China region"
    Elon Musk
  • "Shanghai Giga will produce affordable versions of 3/Y for greater China. All Model S/X & higher cost versions of Model 3/Y will still be built in US for WW market, incl China."
    Elon Musk
Notice that you actually dreamed the word "just" into Elon's tweet. But that's okay. The Master Plan Part Deux is coming together nicely, and that's what matters. ;)

Cheers!

In one of the interviews with the local stations (probably even the one linked above, I just don't remember which one) he did mention that GF3 could be supplying other markets in the Asia region.

Not to mention the lack of environmental regulation. The Chinese are catching up with the west but it would be surprising indeed if their regulations were more strict than California .

There is a lack both in regulation and in the respect for the regulation, for example the rampant and illegal use of CFC in China to an extent that it was first spotted on satellite imagery,

Mysterious source of illegal ozone-killing emissions revealed, say investigators

I am embarrassed to admit this, but occasionally I watch clips on liveleak. The examples of Chinese lack of respect for animal welfare is gut wrenching - to the extent that I will not provide one here in this cozy and friendly corner of the Internet.

So I hope the Chinese collaboration with an ethically responsible company like Tesla will influence the mentality there, even if it is just a drop in the ocean.

The related segment was primarily a discussion about the wisdom of Tesla manufacturing in Shanghai. Their biggest concern was potential Chinese theft of Tesla intellectual property (IP). They seemed to be unaware that Tesla patents have been open sourced for nearly five years, and that unlike the case with other American automakers, Tesla will be allowed to operate a factory in China without a Chinese partner.

Further, @neroden has argued convincingly that Tesla does not believe in protecting their inventions, but that they instead strive to invent at a pace so quick that anyone attempting to copy them will simply remain far behind them.

"I don't believe in moats" is (loosely?) the relevant statement from Musk.

Further, @neroden has argued convincingly that Tesla does not believe in protecting their inventions, but that they instead strive to invent at a pace so quick that anyone attempting to copy them will simply remain far behind them.

"I don't believe in moats" is (loosely?) the relevant statement from Musk.
'Twas during the earnings call of Q1 2018:

I think moats are lame

Still waiting on the Tesla candy though...

Remember, Elon also said Shanghai SR production will supply the Region. So that likely means Korea, Japan, Australia, generally SE Asia.

Elon said " Greater China" in local parlance that means China plus Taiwan,Hong Kong and Macau.

I don't know anyone who includes Korea,Japan,Australia or generally SE Asia as "Greater China." Maybe a few Chinese Generals and Admirals in private.

Bah haha, good one! But don't take it from me, here's what Elon said today, exactly:

"The Shanghai factory will produce cars for greater China and many parts of Asia as well, so beyond China. We will also export cars from China to other countries in the Asia region."

And here's a video of the interview (Elon's comment above starts at 1:45)

CH33RS!

Last edited:
Related to Giga 3, when does everybody expect any announcements about Giga 4 in Europe? With Tesla's new understanding of working capital, and their declared mission to cut the time from production to delivery to under a week worldwide, plans for a factory in Europe should be very high on the priority list.

Although I am European and although it may hamper my TSLA long position, I am actually hoping that Tesla will finance their European GF4 without raising money via the US financial markets. Regarding Wall Street, that's how much value I put on 'Schadenfreude'.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the installation of some very hefty pile foundations:

View attachment 367062

These are what you use when building on really weak, deep sediments. You can build straight into a seabed like this.
Unbelievable! The TSLAQ community (?) is tweeting that Elon had fake cranes placed at the site which are of no use at this stage of the construction. The Twitter user below collected these tweets and made fun of them - of course Mark Spiegel retweeted the originals. LOL.
The_Earl_of_FrunkPuppy (28delayslater) on Twitter
teslaq1.JPG

teslaq2.JPG

Unbelievable! The TSLAQ community (?) is tweeting that Elon had fake cranes placed at the site which are of no use at this stage of the construction. The Twitter user below collected these tweets and made fun of them - of course Mark Spiegel retweeted the originals. LOL.
The_Earl_of_FrunkPuppy (28delayslater) on Twitter

In terms of them not being cranes, they are correct...

The only concern I have with this plan of producing the cheaper Model 3 versions for China in China and the more expensive versions for China in the US is that once the large backlog is filled and the waiting time for locally-produced cars shrinks, a customer will have to wait longer to get a more expensive (higher margin) version than a cheaper version since it will be produced locally. I imagine they will anticipate and have some LR/AWD versions available in China, but certain option packages will only be available by ordering and waiting for shipment overseas. This may drive some potential customers to cheaper (lower margin) versions if they can get them sooner. Now if the margin can eventually be equal/greater with the cheaper locally-made version vs. the more expensive version made in the US (with added shipment costs), then this issue won't matter at all of course.

Bah haha, good one! But don't take it from me, here's what Elon said today, exactly:

"The Shanghai factory will produce cars for greater China and many parts of Asia as well, so beyond China. We will also export cars from China to other countries in the Asia region."

And here's the video (Elon's comment above starts at 1:45)

CH33RS!

I find it interesting how he flatters the Chinese. While I am sure Musk thinks that stroking the egos of the Chinese powers that be will help to accelerate Tesla's growth in China, I see a strong contrast to his expressed opinion of certain US regulators, especially the SEC.