Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize this is political, but it is related to Tesla. I first posted it in the Market Politics thread. But posters there tend to focus on Politics and rarely on its relation to the Market.

That being said, it may be a partial explanation for today's pop in Tesla shares. If during the acceptance speech tonight there is significant mention of Green Energy, it will be interesting to see the reaction from Tesla shares tomorrow.

WSJ - today: Green-Energy Shares Rise Along With Joe Biden’s Polling

Excerpt:

Investors betting that Joe Biden will win the presidential election are buying up clean-energy stocks, sending the share prices of some companies to all-time highs.

The WilderHill Clean Energy Index, a compilation of green-power companies listed on U.S. exchanges, surged to an over nine-year high Wednesday. It has climbed 33% since the beginning of July. Its biggest companies include First Solar Inc . and Tesla Inc .

" A Biden victory would add huge impetus to the transition" to a lower-carbon economy, said Simon Webber, a Schroders portfolio manager for global equities. "The growth outlook for electric vehicles, renewables, hydrogen power, battery storage and many more industries would be turbocharged."

The day we hit $1000 I posted this

"I've been to the garden centre today. Before I left I noticed the price was in the 990s in premarket so opened my phone on the Tesla Marketwatch page. Every time I stopped at traffic lights I checked the price and it is was still in the 990s. When I got to the garden centre the queue was huge so I didn't bother waiting and set off for home. On the way home I checked again and......BOOM!
So I bought a bottle of champagne on my way home. My wife was startled when I got back - with no plant, but a bottle of champagne!
This one's for you Elon :)"

And the date? 10th June, just 72 days ago

Well guess what, I've just been out to buy another bottle of champagne! This time I wore my Tesla T shirt :)

wait? this seems Identical to another big price increase? Someone figures out TSLA is good. They decide to buy a gigamillion shares. They then do the math as to how high the price will move during the buying of those shares when done in a short period of time. They then buy Calls a little below their calculated price the day before, and then they buy the shares. They get paid for knowing they were going to buy the shares...and damn? it isn't insider trading...it is an Outsider's information. No laws are broken.
Then again I don't know jackshugar about all this trading crap... It just seems something a smart human with a lot of cash who was going to go into TSLA in a big way would do. Probably a bigger fund tied to the S&P 500? ...or several of them together.

wait? this seems Identical to another big price increase? Someone figures out TSLA is good. They decide to buy a gigamillion shares. They then do the math as to how high the price will move during the buying of those shares when done in a short period of time. They then buy Calls a little below their calculated price the day before, and then they buy the shares. They get paid for knowing they were going to buy the shares...and damn? it isn't insider trading...it is an Outsider's information. No laws are broken.
Then again I don't know jackshugar about all this trading crap... It just seems something a smart human with a lot of cash who was going to go into TSLA in a big way would do. Probably a bigger fund tied to the S&P 500? ...or several of them together.
The bender has started early this week!

I've been chanting "fill the gap" all day.
Sorry mate, there's no 'gap' to fill today. SP opened below yesterday's Close, then ran up after the Market Opened:

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-08-20.14-30.png

A profitable swing trade would have been to rebuy at the Open: net you +1 share for every 50 shares you sold on Wednesday. But as you found out, timing the market is hard to do: you have to be right twice.

As it is, selling during an upturn is literally walking away from profit. I expect the SP to hover around $2k til the Options expiry, with the chance of another late-day runup tomorrow.

You may get a chance to rebuy on Monday morning if there is no S&P announcement over the weekend. If there is, then look out above.

Not Advice.

Last edited:
AND...this seems like it would be a standard play with a real volatile stock ...especially one that has a lot of shortz in it. Am I right? I could see this being done on a less obvious level all the time. Especially when there is going to be special circumstances like "probable" inclusion to the S&P 500 Which creates a time constraint. But that would change the "legality" of it?

The day we hit $1000 I posted this

"I've been to the garden centre today. Before I left I noticed the price was in the 990s in premarket so opened my phone on the Tesla Marketwatch page. Every time I stopped at traffic lights I checked the price and it is was still in the 990s. When I got to the garden centre the queue was huge so I didn't bother waiting and set off for home. On the way home I checked again and......BOOM!
So I bought a bottle of champagne on my way home. My wife was startled when I got back - with no plant, but a bottle of champagne!
This one's for you Elon :)"

And the date? 10th June, just 72 days ago

Well guess what, I've just been out to buy another bottle of champagne! This time I wore my Tesla T shirt :)
The first $1000 is the hardest

The bender has started early this week!
I am just thinking inside the bottle (outside the box).
Actually I drink one day a week...Friday, with friends.
I wish it was Friday. If the stock finishes anything over $1800 this week Tesla will be a topic I will bring up. I was very forceful a friday a few weeks back trying to get a close friend to start ROTH 401's for his 2 kids using TSLA at $900/share. I told him he'd seem way cool to his kids when they found out their old man bought TSLA back when it was a "struggling" company. And it was the leader in solving the world's energy problems.
Then again he took the family to Las Vegas 2 weeks ago, and I told him to go in the Desert at night with his two kids (early teens) and show them the Meteor because it would "time stamp" their lives to his. And he didn't. Meteors and Solar eclipses...things to measure time by.