Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ihor from S3 saying short now roughly 10.6mm in their estimate

as of 7/31 it was around 11.945m shs reported by nasdaq/finra

for what little value it’s worth. maybe there is some short covering

oh. i see what you’re saying.

if she is short 100 pre-split ,they are already borrowing on her behalf. they then adjust the contract with the lending broker post-split to 500 shares. they don’t create a new 400 share contract with the same broker (or another one)
so there’s no shares created per se
she’s shorter, and now borrowing more

So, price action looks like capping and damage limitation from the Market Monkeys. Perusing the open interest we see the most volume on $2100, but as the dust settles, $2000 is off the menu - puts piling up there, $2050 is painful (for them), so capping in the $2050/50 range with a push-down to below $2050 seems the the best they can hope for.

Full disclosure - I bought some $2100's expiring today for fun, to make things a not more exciting.
View attachment 578991

WTF do I win?

Grabbed 5x 4/9 c2200 in the dip there, thank you so much!

And, as predicted, Tesla is now twice as valuable as Toyota.
My friend is getting ready to buy a new car. She is looking at Camry's. I softly nudged her to consider a model 3. Her big issue is that she is worried that her boss will be snotty about it and give her sugar for buying an expensive car. I do understand where she is coming from. Perhaps I can do some more nudging.

My friend is getting ready to buy a new car. She is looking at Camry's. I softly nudged her to consider a model 3. Her big issue is that she is worried that her boss will be snotty about it and give her sugar for buying an expensive car. I do understand where she is coming from. Perhaps I can do some more nudging.
The answer to that is to compare the total cost of ownership. Won't be much different in the end. You also might mention the safety of not having to fill up at a gas station.

The answer to that is to compare the total cost of ownership. Won't be much different in the end. You also might mention the safety of not having to fill up at a gas station.

Yeah just ask her what the price of the Camry she's looking at and do napkin math on the fuel savings to show here how a Model 3 SR is cheaper in the matter of X number of years.

Then she can put that in her boss's face. If he/she still gives her a hard time......we'll he/she is just an a**hole

Kept my Model X purchase a secret for awhile for this very reason. I got some ribbing after it was eventually revealed.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Sometimes, yes, and sometimes it's the same entity, but really MM stands for "Market Maker". These are big companies, often affiliated with banks or brokers, whose entire job is to make sure that options exist so that they can be traded. If you look at all of the available options, you will see that there are lots that have 0 "open interest" and yet there are bids and ask prices listed. The market maker will serve up the option contract if you want to buy one. This is why they have the famous "Madoff Exemption", that allows them to sell uncovered calls.

I use this myself but only for relatively short term options (because one day their value might go to zero), and only to get my initial investment back. If you diligently apply this rule every time the price doubles, you linearize what is fundamentally an exponential process... you get back the number of times the price doubled instead of the product of the doublings.

Despite of the manufactured drop we just saw and their other manipulations, I’m glad the Market Makers exist. Exactly for what you describe: they create a market. Without them it would be much, much harder to open and close option positions. I often sell options with a specific strike and expiry date that I know no one on earth would want to buy. Let alone 10 of them. Yet, there is always a Market Maker offering me money for them, an amount I often find more than reasonable. I know they cover their position and they make plenty of money from the friction between bid and ask price. But without them I would not be in the comfortable financial position I am in now.

Despite of the manufactured drop we just saw and their other manipulations, I’m glad the Market Makers exist. Exactly for what you describe: they create a market. Without them it would be much, much harder to open and close option positions. I often sell options with a specific strike and expiry date that I know no one on earth would want to buy. Yet, there is always a Market Maker offering me money for them, an amount that I often find more than reasonable. I know they often immediately cover, and that they make plenty of money from the friction between bid and ask price. But without them I would not be in the luxurious financial position that I am in now.
I wish options doesn't exist. Incentivize people to gamble with money they don't have.

Why should people care at all what anyone thinks...especially if she can afford it :rolleyes:

Despite of the manufactured drop we just saw and their other manipulations, I’m glad the Market Makers exist. Exactly for what you describe: they create a market. Without them it would be much, much harder to open and close option positions. I often sell options with a specific strike and expiry date that I know no one on earth would want to buy. Yet, there is always a Market Maker offering me money for them, an amount that I often find more than reasonable. I know they often immediately cover, and that they make plenty of money from the friction between bid and ask price. But without them I would not be in the luxurious financial position that I am in now.
Yes, but they performed that duty just fine for seventy years before the exemptions that allowed wholesale manipulation.

I was under the impression that expiration does not technically happen exactly at market close. It's just the last opportunity to trade options.

Yes, I was just reading about this earlier today. Apparently options technically expire on Saturday morning. So Friday after hours changes in the stock price can impact whether the option expires worthless or gets assigned.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bet TSLA and jw934
That was another Week for the TSLA Record Book:

4 New ALL-TIME HIGHS (ATHs) today:
  • Highest Open: $2,044.76
  • Intraday High: $2,095.49
  • Highest Intraday Low: $2,025.05
  • Highest Close: $2,049.98
... and we're up +22% for the week (+50% since the Stock Dividend announcement):

TSLA.1-Wk.2020-08-21.png

Cheers!

Last edited: