Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla, the Founder Red, trimotor elephant in the room nobody in the SPC wants to talk about. I wonder how long they'll let this madness go on before allowing index funds to deal with it.

It's pretty amazing that they didn't get together and quickly announce inclusion the day after the stock split was announced.

Sale funds have not cleared.
May take a day or two.

Also if it had gone through you might be hit with a "day trader" penalty and blocked from trading for 10 days.
Happened to me 5 years ago. Moved account to a different broker.

EDIT: Thank you for your sacrifice. It means S&P announcement at 5:15 /S
You sir are correct...I am in time out till Friday pre-market. I never knew how it worked....
So tomorrow I will have the mindset of an evil Shorter.
Come on Gordo, be right for one day!

I don’t mean to sound like an asshole. But that is why everybody here keeps saying… Don’t sell your shares. Just save your money, and when you have an opportunity; buy the dips.
You can’t out game the market makers. That is literally how they make money. It’s what they do...scare investors who lack conviction into buying high and selling low.
Nope. I just did not know the "good faith" rule. I don't go in and out that much, but I did it yesterday, and today I saw the front edge of the $2160 dip. I was just going to add another share...and now I screwed myself...not the MM's just me being me....newbie mistake.

Reactions: FireMedic
But why? If they actually own the shares, why dump them?
Different matter if one OWES shares, makes sense to buy some on the cheap.

But what do I know, eh? (only up 300+ % this year :D)

Because they've written 20k $2100 calls that they'll need to cough-up, if they can sell a few shares to avoid that, they make net more money.

Plus Citadel bought their position in Q1, I think, so they're already >2x

You sir are correct...I am in time out till Friday pre-market. I never knew how it worked....
So tomorrow I will have the mindset of an evil Shorter.
Come on Gordo, be right for one day!

Schwab said 2-3 days to me, so I waited. however- the funds settled already next day, and I missed a huge buying opportunity.. as I only first checked 5hs after open..

So do not trust the 2+ days. It may settle already at open tomorrow!

Nope. I just did not know the "good faith" rule. I don't go in and out that much, but I did it yesterday, and today I saw the front edge of the $2160 dip. I was just going to add another share...and now I screwed myself...not the MM's just me being me....newbie mistake.
Did the rep on etrade ask you "What in the hell made you decide to sell $TSLA?" :) If he/she did not ask you that...i am sure he/she was thinking that :) Just bustin your chops....this mistake won't cost you a lot hopefully.

Reactions: lafrisbee
Evidently I have been a good boy for years, and will have the funds available Friday AM.

Sorry to clarify the 90 day timeout is a punishment for being caught using unsettled funds in a way that violates the rules- not that it takes 90 days to settle em. Settling is almost always 2 business days.

The 90 day thing is if you get caught for certain violations.... freeriding for example- in accounts that allow use of unsettled funds you could do this:

Sell stock for $1000. Unsettled today.

Buy $1000 in stock that same day with it. (again in accounts that allow using unsettled funds normally).

Stock goes up to $2000 same day and you immediately sell it for $1000 profit.

You essentially made $1000 without having actually had the $ on hand to do so.

That's a freeriding violation.

You'll now have a 90 day time out where you can't use unsettled funds at all, and thus must wait the typically 2 days for funds to settle before using them for anything.

See also:
https://sixfigureinvesting.com/2010/01/trading-in-ira-accounts-and-avoiding-free-riding/

What's funny is, some brokers systems can immediately detect you violated the rule... but won't actually STOP you from doing so, even though they obviously COULD since their system recognizes the behavior.