Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and the worst of it.... I never keep my money out of TSLA overnight.
What if S&P inclusion occurs tonight?
EDIT Nevermind. I did not know about the Good faith aspect and made a trade yesterday, so now I have to wait till Friday morning to get back in....
Nothing costs as much as stupidity.

I have no idea what you're talking about. If I sell shares with my broker, the cash appears in my account immediately. Why would there we any delay?

And why the hell would you sell them all anyway, to do a little overnight day-trade? That's really risky IMO.

Nope. I just did not know the "good faith" rule. I don't go in and out that much, but I did it yesterday, and today I saw the front edge of the $2160 dip. I was just going to add another share...and now I screwed myself...not the MM's just me being me....newbie mistake.

Is this a taxable account? If so you will end up paying so much in short term or long term gains that adding an additional share is not worth it. In fact you lose money.

Instead you should just let the money compound. Disregard my comment if this a tax deferred account like a 401K or IRA.

Schwab said 2-3 days to me, so I waited. however- the funds settled already next day, and I missed a huge buying opportunity.. as I only first checked 5hs after open..

So do not trust the 2+ days. It may settle already at open tomorrow!
Just catching a bit of this so not sure of the whole context
Most traders can purchase stuff with unsettled funds, just can't sell again until original position settled, otherwise it is a free ride slap
Unless you were already slapped, then one cant buy with unsettled.

I have no idea what you're talking about. If I sell shares with my broker, the cash appears in my account immediately. Why would there we any delay?

And why the hell would you sell them all anyway, to do a little overnight day-trade? That's really risky IMO.
Retirement accounts have different rules than cash accounts. Also, the brokerages vary from country to country. And....maybe its because you have $10 million+ and your brokerage deems you 'economically viable' :)

BTW. I just got back from my local (Jacksonville) service center. For the second time in the past 6 months a had to get a fob replaced due to extended time in washing machine. While in the waiting room I noticed a 3 and a Y adjacent to each other in the shop. I was amazed at how much bigger the Y is than the 3. Without a frame of reference, I would not have been surprised if someone told me it was an X.
Anyway, I got to talking with service manager about the Y. Between his mask and my deteriorating hearing, I thought I heard him say something about the Y not selling well. I'm glad that I pushed it because, after I reiterated what I thought he said, he turned to me and said "take a look out there", in the parking lot. There was a trailer load of 9 Ys (all of them white), being unloaded. He said they are all spoken for! So, no, sales of Ys in the Jacksonville area are doing very well, thank you.

As an owner of the Model Y, I can tell you that as the word gets out about it, its going to sell like crazy in all parts of the world, as long as the economy holds up. It is a big upgrade from the Model 3, with equivalent efficiency.

You sir are correct...I am in time out till Friday pre-market. I never knew how it worked....
So tomorrow I will have the mindset of an evil Shorter.
Come on Gordo, be right for one day!

Hmm, from what you posted you should be OK:
1) Sell stock on a day.
2) Buy stock on the same day using those proceeds.

Even Vanguard, which is pretty tight on this stuff, let's you do that. What they don't let you do is then sell those newly bought securities until the proceeds from the sale that funded them have settled. Link.

Liquidations resulting from unsettled trades

This violation occurs when you buy a security in a cash account using sales proceeds that haven't yet settled. Then you sell the recently purchased security before the settlement of the initial sale.

Example:

You have a zero balance in your settlement fund and no pending credits or sales proceeds.

On Monday, you sell stock A. Cash proceeds will arrive in your account on Wednesday (the second day after the trade was placed).

On Tuesday, you buy stock B. You must pay for it on Thursday (the second day after the trade was placed).

But on Tuesday, you sell stock B. Because the sale of stock A hasn't settled, you paid for stock B with unsettled funds.

Penalty:

Any 3 violations in a rolling 52-week period trigger a 90-day funds-on-hand restriction. During this time, you must have settled funds available before you can buy anything.

Lol, it's not that your book isn't cool, it's that ur reading from the wrong book.

There is NO After-market session for TSLA on Fri Aug 28 and also NO Pre-market session on Mon, Aug 31.

If TSLA Closes at $2,199 on Friday, then it will Open at exactly $439.80 on Monday (Fri SP/5 = Mon SP). So your 'Friday after hours push' literally can not happen... :p

Mind you, it can go up again starting Monday at 09:30 which I expect it to do regardless of any S&P announcement. The lower stock price due to the split will unleash latent buying interest, and momentum traders will join in the frenzy as per usual. :D

Cheers!
Nitpicking, but: the opening price on Monday will be determined by an algorithm at NASDAQ that maximizes the trades in the order book at opening. This is highly unlikely to be exactly 1/5th of the closing price on Friday. Even though there won't be any extended trading, people can still enter orders for the real market. Usually this is very similar to the pre-market, but occasionally not, and in this case no way.

Retirement accounts have different rules than cash accounts. Also, the brokerages vary from country to country. And....maybe its because you have $10 million+ and your brokerage deems you 'economically viable' :)

I wish! Although I do admit I'm no longer a Teslanaire, but a multi-Teslanaire, just...

Sorry for the OT question, but hey.....it's the weekend.

Can someone please splain to me how Salesforce is worth $250B? I mean, an argument could be made that they've peaked already and their net profit is pretty much zero.

Gross margins of ~75% and high growth = large looming profits as Gross Margin growth greatly exceeds operating expense growth and flows directly through to income.

So August is the middle month of this quarter. And it is a special year.

85 cars sold in Q1 middle month (February) by Tesla here in Norway
32 cars sold in Q2 middle month (May)
189 cars sold in Q3 middle month (August) and August got several days left

The ships must have started early this quarter. Puts a :D on my face!

I know there is lies, da** lies and statistics. And Norway is not a large part of the European Tesla market anymore. But it looks good to me.

Source: Tesla Registration Stats

So August is the middle month of this quarter. And it is a special year.

85 cars sold in Q1 middle month (February) by Tesla here in Norway
32 cars sold in Q2 middle month (May)
189 cars sold in Q3 middle month (August) and August got several days left

The ships must have started early this quarter. Puts a :D on my face!

I know there is lies, da** lies and statistics. And Norway is not a large part of the European Tesla market anymore. But it looks good to me.

Source: Tesla Registration Stats

https://twitter.com/mortenlund89/status/1298706950922874880
Long ...bip... train with HUNDREDS of Tesla ... Storebælt Bridge in Denmark going east towards eastern Denmark, possibly Sweden
(see video)

A harbinger of things to come for Tesla?
Salesforce’s nearly 30% stock rally this week is a possible ‘nightmare’ scenario for the Dow committee

The issue for the Dow however is that the rapid acceleration of Salesforce’s price in a price-weighted benchmark could quickly make Salesforce’s stock too influential, too fast, in the popular index.

Of course, the S&P is market-cap weighted, not stock price weighted. But still, with Tesla's market cap appreciation so far this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the S&P committee is having some heated discussions right now.