Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tossed and turned last night, not because I have options contracts that are volatile but because buy and hold has worked so well my account is majorly overweight in TSLA.

I’m considering selling a small amount of shares, maybe 5%, just so I can sleep better. Will decide before end of trading. Feel free to chime in with suggestions.

You can buy puts to reduce your downside risk but this will cost you as premiums are so high.

Another option is to sell calls. You can sell calls at the same expiration and set the strike much higher than the current price. This creates vertical spreads with your options (assuming they're calls). This strategy caps your profit near the higher strike you choose, but doesn't require additional capital from you.

Another option is to sell calls against your option, but at shorter term expirations and at higher strike prices. This creates diagonal spreads against your options and you're more likely to keep the premiums on your sold calls and readjust your next sold calls so that they don't get exercised. More flexibility, but more work. Also does not require more capital.

Going back to puts, if you buy them at or near the current share price they will most effectively reduce your downside risk and make money for you if the price drops.

Not an expert, but hope this helps.

Screenshot_20200828-100803~2.png

Curious if this has ever happened to anyone. Woke up today and was looking at my account when I noticed a position in aapl options in my account that I never traded. Wtf?

Then I notice one of my Tesla options disappeared and this aapl option with the same strike and expiration took its place. The value of the options is correct for the TSLA options I originally had and make no sense with the strike and corresponding aapl share price.

I called td Ameritrade and the guy was baffled and has never seen this before. Little concerned because of the stock splits involving aapl and TSLA at the close and waiting to hear back from tdameritrade.

The screenshot is what I see but the numbers are wrong. That particular aapl option is trading at ~53.60.

Edit: added a screenshot
PS. Posting this in case others are using td Ameritrade and come across this issue. Not sure if they had a glitch in their system but this could be an issue with the split occurring with both companies.

Edit 2: just saw td Ameritrade fixed it. Aapl options are gone and my original TSLA options are back.

Last edited:
"Well over half" is 7 digits over half. Not half. Scoff all you want on your puny little island, I'll bring an entire fleet of heavy cruisers and two battalions of battle-proven mercenaries to secure the area. That's not counting the platoon of para-troopers. We will drink all your booze and lament the fact that there was not even one maiden anywhere in sight and laugh at your lack of defenses with which to provide a respectable challenge to my warriors! :oops:

/s

I, for one, welcome StealthP3D as our new investor overlord.

View attachment 581682 Curious if this has ever happened to anyone. Woke up today and was looking at my account when I noticed a position in aapl options in my account that I never traded. Wtf?

Then I notice one of my Tesla options disappeared and this aapl option with the same strike and expiration took its place. The value of the options is correct for the TSLA options I originally had and make no sense with the strike and corresponding aapl share price.

I called td Ameritrade and the guy was baffled and has never seen this before. Little concerned because of the stock splits involving aapl and TSLA at the close and waiting to hear back from tdameritrade.

The screenshot is what I see but the numbers are wrong. That particular aapl option is trading at ~53.60.
I'd change my passwords and screenshot all my account summary pages for what that's worth.

Let me get this straight. The dieselgate settlement required VW to spend millions (billions?) on green technologies like the Electrify America charging infrastructure. Then they figured out that every dollar they spent on Powerpacks was one more dollar's worth of batteries that Tesla would not be putting into cars to compete with VW?

I mean, they have to spend the money on something so why not use it to siphon more batteries away from Tesla's vehicle production?
Yes, help your competitor open up a new market, while they're the only ones who actually have capacity to supply it. Sort of like all the philosophers going on strike (HHGTTG reference).

Reactions: dc_h and Tslynk67
Did you ever decide to sell any?

Well I continued to buy ( lots more) until around USD 80, started to „lock in some gains“ small chunks but still... ( ex advisor lambasting me to do so...)
got wiser and bought everything back on the way to 250, continued to buy the dips, last buy at 1515... so I can almost say with a straight face, I still have those original IPO‘s.

This. If you are looking to accumulate selling puts is a good way to go about it. If stock continues to go up you get to keep all the money off the sale of the put. If stock collapses and you forced to buy you get discounted price (the strike price minus the proceeds of the sale of the put).

You need a margin account to do this stuff.

You don't need margin to sell puts, you can sell against a cash balance (which will subsequently be reserved according to the broker's formula).

Regarding selling puts over buying the stock - great if it goes down or moves sideways, but with a big move up, you missed getting back in.

Last edited: