Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the average volume for recent days is only 72M. So we are only part way through the day and we have surpassed the average trading volume already.

yes, volume definitely increased at the exchange communication level.
it’s an increase in messages/traffic over existing pipes - maybe not 5x typical pre-split volume, but surely more than simply 1/5th of 90mm current share volume

which potentially could explain some of the outages
nasdaq connection isn’t just one line with redundancy

used to be something like
connection 1 is tickers a-h
connection 2 i - q
connection 3 r -z

if that’s still the method, two of them are taking on a lot more volume from each connected participant

So now I have way more TSLA in my portfolio than I like holding of one company (six figures). Any suggestions on what investments to buy if I sell a big chunk of my TSLA shares?
Classic Guitars, old McIntosh audio, a Tesla Roadster... You know, collector stuff you can sell if needed - holds value long term.

Reactions: Big Time
As to the personal psychological rabbit hole this environment has created for me i terms of wealth. I am right next door to $300,000. That is THREEHUNDEREDFUKKINTHOUSANDDOLLARS.
My House cost $51,400. My Mortgage payment is not even $340, and that is after me having to go through a divorce and refinancing it for $72,000. My truck is pad off.
I really did drop $65,000 (100 shares) into TSLA hoping at the outside it would turn into enough to buy the Cybertruck with all the bells and whistles on it before Elon gave me a call to come pick it up. I did not think it would get 10% growth on a yearly basis, but I figured what the hell. Then I could settle into being the coolest cat around while driving the $90k, total cost out the door, tri-motor, Cybertruck. And come back to the house to rest up. When I grew up in Alabama the joke was the wooden shanties with the cadillacs in the front yard. I'l be one of those guys.
That was on January 30, 2020.
Now through many many mental iterations this ant is not even able to get a concrete plan together, other than...
Hold onto the 605 shares I got. Roughly $295,000 with the price at $488/share.
Once this investment was supposed to fund the Truck, in two years.
NOW the investment could pay off the house, buy me at least one tricked-out cybertruck, and 10 acres of bottomland, and the tiny solar-powered home to live in on it.
But does my greedy antass stop here? My life long dream possessions are there for the securing. all I have to do is hit the SELL button. Just breathe heavy across it and I am out.
And yet I am still here?
Risking my dream, sliding everything all in.... I've done it several times already with TSLA. And it looks like I am going to do it again...
There are so many things coming up that make TSLA look like a very good bet, and even to the downside like losing half of the money, I am still able to get the truck and pay off the house.
But the thing that has me most interested is also the thing that spooked me over the week-end. The amount of pro-tesla articles and videos was more than I have ever felt this week end. I felt the stock would go down today. I thought it was the Machine coming together to reap the profit of pumping the stock up. It still could be. We could be in the power phase of stock pumping TSLA.
But it does not feel like it when you look where we were headed BEFORE the deluge of TSLA promoting in YouTube as well as the "Financial Experts" coming out pro-tesla.
This morning did you notice? The Financial sector did not say "if you treat Tesla as a tech stock." They just stated it was a stock in the tech sector. PERIOD. They made a bit of an issue as to whether Amazon was really a tech stock, but not Tesla. And none of the other talking heads said, "Wait a minute, you are assuming Tesla is a Tech stock?"
That's another tell. Either TSLA is going to drop a hundred today or not? Either they are setting us up for slaughter, or they are seeing the vision, the future.
And I am going to try and stay in here at least till January.

No higher than 10% IMO.
I'm getting close to the first target at which I planned to sell 10% but it's happened much sooner than I expected.
Now I have to be strong and stick to the plan...

Same here...
Selling at my target (we are ~10% away from it) and selling 10% will allow me early retirement much sooner.

• Love
Reactions: RMan
While one point of view is that you write the calls with the intent to either pocket the premium or sell the shares at a price that's inconceivable at the time, it's still a bearish move, in that you profit most when the stock doesn't rise. Once I remembered this, and the anecdote about "picking up pennies in front of a steamroller", I stopped doing it, and I'm glad. "Full bull" is working well for me.

Well, it could also be hat you need cash and selling at a certain strike makes sense. I sold one well beyond 100 above the SP, mostly to earn some extra cash between now and when I need it in a month. I have full beliefs in TSLA, but I need the money one way or another. Would rather sell calls than shares.

Reactions: M|S|M MYP
It's weird...I am so much more wealthy than I thought imaginable at this point in time and yet I feel nothing. If I were to pull cash out I don't even know what I would do with it.
Yes! This is exactly me right now. You kind of adjust to a certain low cost lifestyle, working like crazy, saving, and frugality your whole life and it’s just natural to see a number, smile, and carry on with said normality of life.
Heck, I wouldn’t even know what to do with myself if I went to the store and bought name brand toilet paper let alone give myself full range of my TSLA gains.

Yea same here. My Fidelity accounts are to date but LPL Financial is way behind. Stock price for both Tesla and Apple are accurate but no additional shares added. And show a loss in the account value based on Friday's close.

MSN.com is showing a -$1,735 drop and Apple is down $369 so they are still comparing the pre split price to current price. Wonder how long it will take for everyone to get things straight.

Seems real hit or miss on how soon everyone is accurately updating. Surly this can't be that big a deal. Never noticed this in the past.
My broker just flashed this up on the screen of their web app:

If you own a stock that went through a recent stock split, your account is displaying incorrect values for total number of shares and total account value. This is a display issue only and does not affect your underlying holdings. Our technical team is working to resolve the issue.

To those thinking of diworsifiying, I suggest watching these 2 video of Warren Buffett.

Yeah, Buffet doesn't "get" technology stocks at all, but his advice about owning what you understand and how infrequently truly great businesses come around is still relevant today:

The way I see Tesla today is like a Mutual Fund and not a simple automobile firm. The many divisions of Tesla such as GFs, Utility storage, PV products, software, Semi trucks, AI chips, FSD, Fueling stations(Superchargers), International presence, etc. which are in process of exponential growth. About 7 years ago I bought a P85 and drove it a lot and then switched to a FSD 90D and have enthusiastically watched as the car deployed new software OTA. We got a Model 3 also with FSD. The incredible advances in the FSD wowed us. Next, we studied and learned more and more about the company and the incredible speed of expansion.
I have to say we have done well with stocks and leaps. Doubt if we ever need to research any other investment for now.
Hope to get a Cybertruck soon. Tesla.

The crazy thing for me is that as fantastic as TSLA has been doing these past 12 months, my percentage of TSLA hasn't increased all that much. My other stocks are doing pretty darn well too. Nice problem to have.
Over the last 5 1/2 months, my TSLA percentage has organically grown from 95.0% to 98.1%. In March, I could have bought 50 more TSLA shares. Now it's down to 20.

Got greedy and tried to grow the 50 into 100 or 150 more shares. You live and learn.

• Love
Reactions: kanweg
While one point of view is that you write the calls with the intent to either pocket the premium or sell the shares at a price that's inconceivable at the time, it's still a bearish move, in that you profit most when the stock doesn't rise. Once I remembered this, and the anecdote about "picking up pennies in front of a steamroller", I stopped doing it, and I'm glad. "Full bull" is working well for me.

To be fair I had used the premiums on sold Sept 18 calls to buy (well at the time buy most of the cost of with a little of my own $ added) later calls at the same strike because I expected the price to continue to rise, but not QUITE so quickly...

So I mean net, I'm still up on the whole deal...

In fact looking at the math right now if I'd bought 1 share (which was about the amount I could've bought with the $ I had to throw in above the earned premium) per option instead of the options, I'd be up right now about $215 total per (presplit) share bought rather than buying 1 (presplit) call option (deferred cost via the sale of 1 shorter expiration call option each too)

Versus my still being up, even after eating the cost to buy to close the earlier calls, a bit over $1000 per option if I sold to close the later dated calls today.

So I'm still up more than I would've been just buying shares... just not AS much as if it'd not risen quite so fast.

Dunno that making more, even getting something wrong, when the price rises is all that bearish... it's just not as profitable as getting every bit right.