Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weekend OT:

Okay, its done. Continuing the SRM discussion over in the SRM thread (post #31).

Cheers!

P.S. The Forum's "Search" function is broken when selecting the "Search titles only" checkbox. It'd be great to get that fixed, making it so much easier to find the appropriate thread to post in by finding a well-chosen keyword in the thread Title, ie: "reluctance".

Thanks!
So I agree it's confusing but it works... I knew that the title was "switched reluctance motors" because I started it, but couldn't remember where exactly... it wasn't in the financial part of the forums. So I searched for "switched reluctance", and more importantly, remembered to say "search in all forums", and it was the first thread shown. But I think you might have had too many words, I don't think it's smart enough to find close matches.

Direct link:

http://ir.tesla.com/static-files/7ac705ce-df45-4560-80a0-e9fe6c526a91

The contents of the revolving car lease loan facility (the "warehouse facilities") were securitized earlier in the year. I did the math and realized this was most of them. Apparently it was literally *all* of them. There were two facilities (the 2016 and the 2017). The 2016 facility has no loans outstanding. Apparently the 2017 facility also had no loans outstanding, and was automatically closed (probably by its original contract terms). Tesla promptly replaced it with a new *almost identical* 2018 facility. (I guess the 2016 facility didn't auto-close.)

I think this isn't actually a material event and shouldn't have been reported, but Tesla is being overcautious in their reporting right now.

Warranty voided?

No, what I mean is that with Tesla's penchant for introducing new features, they are likely to introduce a 230 V outlet right after I take delivery (making me unable to get one).

Seriously, the 230 V outlet idea has been floated for the truck where it has been deemed a highly valuable option.

But the required hardware would be identical for any Tesla, and so it would seem natural to offer it as an option across all models (at least in Europe etc.). In my mind.

PS. I am not very well read, but I do believe that the Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard wrote about the pleasure of looking forward to something. Along those lines I am at this stage able to look forward to my Model 3 with all kinds of not currently available options (air suspension, tow hitch, 230 V outlet, some unusual color). These multiple universes will all collapse irreversibly to a single one once I take delivery of my M3...

Last edited:
Lower cell count would effect range, unless you are suggesting they now have higher capacity cells.
I’m suggesting their drive train might not be at peak efficiency yet, these motors were new to them, there might be ways to squeeze more range out of the pack just with new controller firmware tweaks. At that time they could lower capacity of new packs off the lines, but keep the same range.

I’m suggesting their drive train might not be at peak efficiency yet, these motors were new to them, there might be ways to squeeze more range out of the pack just with new controller firmware tweaks. At that time they could lower capacity of new packs off the lines, but keep the same range.
I'd think at best it would be a few percentage points of efficiency, if that. I think they'd just keep the extra range.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
No, what I mean is that with Tesla's penchant for introducing new features, they are likely to introduce a 230 V outlet right after I take delivery (making me unable to get one).

Seriously, the 230 V outlet idea has been floated for the truck where it has been deemed a highly valuable option.

But the required hardware would be identical for any Tesla, and so it would seem natural to offer it as an option across all models (at least in Europe etc.). In my mind.

PS. I am not very well read, but I do believe that the Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard wrote about the pleasure of looking forward to something. Along those lines I am at this stage able to look forward to my Model 3 with all kinds of not currently available options (air suspension, tow hitch, 230 V outlet, some unusual color). These multiple universes will all collapse irreversibly to a single one once I take delivery of my M3...
I'd LOVE a 230 volt outlet. I'd trade in my model X for that. On a new Tesla, I mean.

With the containerized "Megapack" Tesla is well positioned to push out as many of them as there's excess cell capacity at the Gigafactory:
Tesla-Megapack-e1544832509756.jpg

But yeah, no way to model this, yet, but I agree with Elon and JB that Tesla Energy is going to outgrow the Tesla automotive side within a couple of years.

Was TE awarded the Vistra stationary storage contract at Moss Landing?

• Love
Reactions: winfield100
So why drop S & X prices by $2k? Why not even raise S & X prices? Scarcer = More Desirable (plus it might indirectly stimulate M3 demand by making those version appear to be a better value for "stretch" buyers.)
Psychologically, losing half of the tax credit stings worse than if Tesla had raised prices by $3750. It’s like missing out on a freebie, and people love free stuff. Knowing that Tesla is specifically compensating for $2000 of that “loss” provides comfort to all US buyers, even those buying P100Ds who “shouldn’t” care.

Wonder if the PG&E bankwuptcy possibility will affect Tesla in a meaningful way?
No. With something like PG&E it'll be strictly Chapter 11 Reorganization. Anything which is designed to maintain the security of the electricity supply (such as the Tesla contracts) will be automatically approved, priority, by the bankruptcy judge. Bondholders and stockholders are the ones who won't get paid.