Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are some actual prices people are paying??
(often local regulations are a major factor.)
Charging at home at night often the lowest cost electricity.
I believe 10c/kWh is what I'm billed after my solar panels were removed for roof replacement.
Don't know yet if the night time charging would be lower, trying it this month.

To be fair, for M3 size of the car, the efficiency of an ICE car should be between 30-40mpg. My stick shift 2001 Corolla used to be ~40mpg.
So, assuming 35mpg average for class and with M3 getting close to 4 miles per kWh, you need to pay (gas price per gallon)*4/35 for equality.
Looks like with the current declines in gas prices we have $1.80/gallon. So, 21c/kWh is an equal rate.

However, to be more precise we need to adjust for road maintenance tax, which I paid separately during EV registration - $50/year and which roughly equals to what was paid for my prior ICE usage during the course of a year out of gas road tax.

Federal road tax is a fixed 18.4c/gallon.

Therefore, subtracting this we get $1.616*4/35=18.5c/kWh of an equal charging rate.

I.e. I'm saving 1-(10/18.5)=46% on electricity (actually more, since my former car was ~30mpg).

The gas prices are quite low though currently and if you are moving from a larger vehicle to a M3, your savings would be higher.

Last edited:
TSLA appears to be in a nice climb, post-Brexit vote. (I have been wrong about this sort of thing more than half of the time)

In other news... if you want to have a Schadenfreudian giggle... check this out
Driverless car laser ruined camera
If those lasers are powerful enough to damage camera censors, I don’t understand how the hell they are allowed to operate on public roads. Invisible to human eyes doesn’t mean harmless, in fact most dangerous lasers are the invisible ones since you don’t know you’re starring at it.

Holy heck. How can a lidar system be safe for human eyes and still be powerful enough to burn out a CCD sensor? They're trying to claim that cameras are more susceptible to burning out than the retina. Colour me extremely skeptical about that. I can take a photo of the sun without damaging my camera, but I can't stare at it.

Camera sensors are more susceptible to burning out than the retina, partially because of the effects of lenses: ILDA - Laser damage to cameras and sensors

Holy heck. How can a lidar system be safe for human eyes and still be powerful enough to burn out a CCD sensor? They're trying to claim that cameras are more susceptible to burning out than the retina. Colour me extremely skeptical about that. I can take a photo of the sun without damaging my camera, but I can't stare at it.

Just an FYI that you most certainly can damage a camera sensor taking a photo of the sun without proper filters. Relative size of the sun in the frame (ie., focal length of the camera lens) and shutter speed are two of the primarily determining factors in whether or not damage occurs.

Just an FYI that you most certainly can damage a camera sensor taking a photo of the sun without proper filters. Relative size of the sun in the frame (ie., focal length of the camera lens) and shutter speed are two of the primarily determining factors in whether or not damage occurs.
This is why they tell you not to photograph a solar eclipse with your phone camera btw

• Helpful
Reactions: SpaceCash

The damage can also occur before the sensor...
Photos of Cameras and Lenses That Got Destroyed by the Solar Eclipse

The problem with staring at an eclipse is that your eyes don't react to the UV energy that is cooking them whereas when the sun is not blocked, the blink reflex kicks in.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-solar-eclipse-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

The damage can also occur before the sensor...
Photos of Cameras and Lenses That Got Destroyed by the Solar Eclipse

The problem with staring at an eclipse is that your eyes don't react to the UV energy that is cooking them whereas when the sun is not blocked, the blink reflex kicks in.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-solar-eclipse-heres-what-you-need-to-know/
But I thought we were supposed to stare at it with squinty
trum.gif
eyes?

If those lasers are powerful enough to damage camera censors, I don’t understand how the hell they are allowed to operate on public roads. Invisible to human eyes doesn’t mean harmless, in fact most dangerous lasers are the invisible ones since you don’t know you’re starring at it.

Just think how many security/traffic/red light/etc. cameras they can damage by driving around...

• Love
Reactions: mutle and saniflash

2h2 hours ago
$TSLA short interest is $8.51 billion; 25.46 mm shares short; 20.27% of float; stock borrow is 30 bps. Shs shorted is down 437k, -1.7%, over the last week as its stock price increased by 3%. #Tesla Shorts are down $295 mm in MTM losses on today's +3.9% move, down $341 mm YTD.

Dw9zKouWsAYJ9Kd.jpg

3 replies19 retweets44 likes
Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter

Interesting. The short interest goes up when the stock price is down.

What we have observed is the stock price often falls when it’s up, and often climbs when it’s down. If short interest jumped when the stock was up, I could understand that, a fair and reasonable position to take.

But at Christmas short interest climbed as the stock price dipped under 300. They are still betting on and hoping for bankruptcy, rather than trying to pick the fall. Madness.