Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Phil LeBeau‏Verified account @Lebeaucarnews
Tesla's charging stations are a massive 'competitive moat,' Morgan Stanley says http://dlvr.it/QykXPn

DzNj-mRV4AAMzaP.jpg

6:29 AM - 12 Feb 2019
Phil LeBeau on Twitter

I'm liking this (M)andatory (Morning) (P)eak.

I'm down with MMP, yeah you know me.

Edit: Surprised we're pretty much tracking Nasdaq despite the GM truck rumors which are getting less rumor-y by the hour.

Yep, liking this, too (MMP).

I don't think that the analysts have made up their mind why the GM thingy is good/bad yet. They need to fire-up their good old Excel models and add all kinds of assumptions for the drive train business.

I also don't think we have thought this through on this board yet. The questions I have are:

- Is this going to be more like "intel inside" including "Tesla inside" marketing or more like "ETA is driving pretty much every mechanic watch there but nobody knows"
- Is this for the long-haul? I.e. is this more like Panasonic providing cells to Tesla or is this more like a stop-gap since GM internal team failed such as the B-Class collaboration with Mercedes
- How are they going to address the obvious and existing cultural challenges? There was some drama around the B-Class (there was a recall and Mercedes says it was a Tesla fault, whereas Tesla says that a simple OTA update would have fixed the issue - but either way, how can a non-OTA, all is to spec, "we respect model years over here" GM successfully work with a "fix it now, roll-it out tomorrow, provide an OTA-upate the day after" Tesla?
- How much volume are we talking about? Is this for a compliance car only (ref. the RAV4)
- Will these cars be allowed onto the Supercharger network?
- Who will service the electric drive train?

Etc. etc. etc.

PS: Also, while we are at it - let's not forget there are the Mercedes Van collaboration rumors flying around as well - is Tesla going to do both? Or only one? Or even none? And which one? For now we have a lot of fantasy - let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: OnBass and lukex4
I'm not sure that's true:
  • Model 3 Performance starts at $52,850 in the US.
  • €66,100 in Germany with 19% VAT, which is $74,700 with VAT, $62,800 without VAT, $57,060 with the 10% EU import tariffs paid.
  • I.e. there's still a gap of $4,200 for transportation costs, which should be more than enough, shipping a car costs about $1,500 I believe, possibly lower in bulk.
  • Per Model 3 ZEV income was zero in Q4. Other GHG credit income was around $1.5k per unit - @ReflexFunds might have more accurate estimates.
So in the end EU sales appear to be generating as much margin as U.S. sales.

I believe you are quoting the 3P cost "after savings" it starts at $60,900 cash in the US.

Tesla could provide drive-trains to GM as part of a deal to purchase one of the recently announced closing factories. Less capital outlay for TSLA and GM both. That would be a super deal.

Tesla want super-integrated factories like GF1 & GF3, converting an existing plant might not be cost/ mission effective (esp depending on the workforce requirements).

Yes, but market usually reacts to rumors ...

Tesla used to move massively with announcements and rumors. Now days it seems positive rumors and announcements are usually met with a tepid reception. Too many delays and missed deadlines mixed with massive FUD and you have investors on the sidelines waiting for evidence to hit them in the face after the fact.