Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2pm reveal is material info, the SEC is not gonna be happy about this tweet.

Elon can tweet Material info. As much as he likes. It just has to meet two criteria. It must be vetted and it must be accurate. He could have tweeted "funding almost secured" Or "Funding kinda secured". Now he must have that vetted before tweeting it and it must be accurate. There is no restriction what-so-ever related to not tweeting material info. He can also tweet dank memes all he wants with no vetting.

I was hoping for Awesomer morning SP action...
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned and I think is possible, this announcement could have something to do with the Tesla Super Bottle, Elon alluded at one point that perhaps there could be a commercial product regarding air conditioners.
Might make sense to manufacture THAT in India.

I'd prefer an announcement about Tesla drive trains in FedEx and/or UPS trucks. That would be terrific news because of the incredible universal publicity for Tesla and EV potential.

Remember, he is the guy who said nobody will ever need more than 640KB memory in a computer.
Also the guy who could not see any commercial future for the Internet in 1995.
Yes, he is a real visionary as long as he is looking strictly in the rear-view mirror and trying to "predict" the past.
The only thing he was ever successful in is how to abuse his monopoly power and bankrupt any innovative
company competing with his...
"And that's why we believe, OS/2 will be the platform of the 90's."
Before throwing the business partner IBM, that made his own future and platform possible through his own evil Macinations, under the bus. (In a figurative sense; not a CANBUS or anything like that.)
Okay, quoted from distant memory but still pretty much WordPerfect (TM) :cool: Some people Excel in puns like 1-2-3, how can I help that eh? :rolleyes:
A good thing he found a better half to compensate in their Golden Years by charity. Exonerating? Who can tell. Maybe a bit slow on the uptake if you ask me. But he was expelled from university for theft (not just dumpster diving). Nobody can deny he had a certain drive. I blame the parents, in part.

OT:

Actually, a normal matter waffle will react with ALL antimatter, not just with an antimatter-waffles, and an antimatter-waffle, which looks just like a regular waffle will produce a very spectacular explosion if simply placed in the Earth's atmosphere.

In fact it will result in a much bigger explosion than the nuclear explosion in the GIF I posted.

Antimatter weapons are unbelievably scary, it's one of the great fortunes of (known) physics and industrial processes that antimatter is prohibitively expensive to produce: current NASA estimates are over 50 trillion dollars per gram of antimatter.

(NASA is interested in antimatter production because antimatter rocket engines have an unbelievably high specific impulse - they are the highest efficiency rocket engines within known physics.)
You are forgetting about the electromagnetic shields inside the warp core chamber and the conduits which keep said matter and antimatter waffles apart until they meet at the dilithium crystals, Scotty! Geez...

upload_2019-2-28_12-39-42.png

Elon can tweet Material info. As much as he likes. It just has to meet two criteria. It must be vetted and it must be accurate. He could have tweeted "funding almost secured" Or "Funding kinda secured".

Or "Funding secured" in the context of "considering", but he chose to not take it to court in the interest of getting on with more pressing matters.

Not sure if we'll get any more registrations in Norway today, but the Model 3 also came in second for the month, thisclose to the e-Golf, even though they only started deliveries mid-month.
View attachment 381448
Seriously... I really didn't need any more cliffhangers in my life. Especially not on a day like this!
Képkivágás2.JPG

As we approach whatever Elon is going to announce later today, I can’t stop thinking about Tesla as the first flag bearer of what may be the 21st Century Industrial Revolution in America (and globally).

To many of us out there, we’ve been taught that economic success revolves around oil and gas and that we can’t have a strong economy without it. But now this point of view may not be focused on the root cause. What the principle first mindset might say is it’s not oil and gas, but *energy* that creates a strong economy.

Energy is what is exactly what Tesla does as its business. How to harness it and how to use it for useful purposes, products, and services.

In transitioning to a more effective way of harnessing and using energy — from gas/oil to solar, etc — Tesla is not just bringing new products and services, but at the beginning of a complete economic transition to follow-on products and services that could change global commerce and geopolitics in a significant way.

Much of our life is electronic right now already, we use electrons to run most of significant daily products... and this increase in electricity use will only rise as the globe continues this move in this direction. Thus, transitioning to a way to more efficiently produce those electrons is a necessity. We have essentially reached our capacity to efficiently convert gas/oil to electrons. Something else is required to meet these needs. Solar and energy storage?

It is already proven that energy storage is able to function more efficiently than gas peaker plants. It is already proven that solar cells/panels are becoming cheaper (as well as rises in efficiency) on a seemingly exponential scale over the last decade. Energy storage is also seemingly taking the same trajectory, thanks to gigafactory and Tesla.

Distributed engery increases individual and independent energy producers which not only distributes power production within the communities that will use it, it also provides economic security against rolling brown/black outs, but also national security by decentralizing from a centralized system that could be strategically attacked by hostile actors.

Electric transport, electric heating, electric energy production, personal, commercial, and industrial energy storage... all are just the beginning of the various entrepreneurial opportunities that expand and develop a booming employment environment. As the cost to produce a KWh drops, so to does the cost of good and services, thus a more efficient economy, with much much broader wealth creation across the country.

Thus, the real challenge ahead in such a future, may not be the physical transformation, but a secure software one. And this means from AI, as well as bad actors with the intent of using software for illegal gain and violation of individual human beings rights and liberties.

I find that Elon et al are deeply focused on this issue and I hope they continue to make great efforts here since the architecture of facing such challenges should be dealt with right now. As such, Elon and crew could take the bull by the horns and present a “model” for legislators to work from for the broader “digital security and rights” of each American citizen and hopefully inspire a global move in this direction.

Last edited:
A user on SA asked me why did Tesla legal and Musk correct the original 500k tweet if it was correct. I actually wondered the same thing, and I think Tesla legal is now also wondering the same thing. It's a very nuanced issue. I wonder if it was never corrected, whether there would have been any issue. There is clearly a wide range there implied by the CC, from 360-600k. But 10k said 360-400k. If I were Tesla legal, I would have phrased the correction something like this instead:

"While it is possible Tesla will produce anywhere from 360-600k total vehicles, as implied by Mr. Musk's 350-500k M3 production estimate in the CC, our conservative estimate still remains approx 360-400k as stated in the 10k, with the possibility of greater production depending on the timing of the Shanghai factory and other factors as stated previously in the CC."

Regardless, the SEC (and even Tesla) would be in error if either claimed that the 500k was inaccurate, as clearly the CC implies otherwise. The only way that that is not the case is if the CC is not considered material info, which is patently false.

Thoughts? @Fact Checking, anybody?

Glad this issue is getting some attention, but the numbers in this study are a massive underestimate. They arrive at annual deaths of 274k-493k from transport emissions, but I think the reality is likely to be over 1 million.
In the US one of the best studies I have read puts auto related emissions deaths at 58k annually (28% of US air pollution deaths). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231013004548. This maps closer to 1 million worldwide.

Many things this latest study misses:
  • For some inexplicable reason they assume death rates flatten out at higher pollution concentrations while all latest evidence suggest they continue linearly. They admit adjusting for this would double the deaths in their study.
  • They do not appear to adequately adjust for the increased proximity of tailpipe emissions to human populations relative to industrial emissions. Adjusting for this should significantly increase the weighting of transport pollution in overall pollution deaths.
  • They ignore Nitrogen dioxide which has been linked to deaths from diseases such as asthma.
  • They only consider deaths from 6 diseases (stroke, ischemic heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, lung cancer, lower respiratory infections and diabetes) and ignore asthma, chronic kidney disease, preterm birth and cognitive decline which are all already known to be impacted by pollution.
  • It takes a long time to prove which diseases are impacted or caused by pollution but I expect many more diseases including many cancers are likely to be connected to pollution in the coming years.
Any thoughts on this @Fact Checking?

I have no idea why this study would try to lowball its estimates, but in any case, even 274k-493k annual deaths (lets call it 500,000) is a global crisis and it is criminal that the media and politicians are doing so little to raise awareness or so little to prevent it when we already have superior and affordable solutions.
If that huge number is just deaths, imagine the total marginally lowered quality of life for all the rest of us suffering the same transport emission related issues but not bad enough to kill us? And then there's agricultural losses from pollution damage to plants... and farm animals.