Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody here ever been to Morocco?

I mean, these Wall Street types are pushing their wish for a cash raise more insistently than a Berber carpet seller...

Yup the Iron Bank is in full control regarding TSLA SP.
If TSLA had done a cap raise the likes of AJ would be crooning TSLA advantages all over the place.

Event horizon..
1.SEC update ..March 19th onwards
2.Q1 results in 15-20 days (lets hope the expectations reset along with some good unexpected deliver numbers gets us over this hump)

Yup the Iron Bank is in full control regarding TSLA SP.
If TSLA had done a cap raise the likes of AJ would be crooning TSLA advantages all over the place.

Event horizon..
1.SEC update ..March 19th onwards
2.Q1 results in 15-20 days (lets hope the expectations reset along with some good unexpected deliver numbers gets us over this hump)

Indeed, the short-to-mid-term (>2 weeks, <8 weeks) is going to be very interesting and impactful, one way or another. Delivery reports, likely resolution to the SEC case, and the earnings report & call. All of this uncertainty and speculation is suddenly going to transform into certainty.

Whoa, seriously? What did he say?

A couple of days ago during a Volkswagen company internal presentation where they were talking about per model margins VW CEO Diess jokingly said "EBIT macht frei" - which is a world play on the infamous Auschwitz "Arbeit Macht Frei" sign and slogan:

secrets-of-auschwitz-what-you-don-t-know-about-the-infamous-death-camp.jpg

This was exceedingly insensitive and in poor taste, in particular considering that VW was founded in 1937 and was promoted by Hitler:

_85745972_gettyimages-2672962.jpg

Diess's comments were done in an internal meeting, but the incident was published pretty quickly (probably preemptively) and he apologized.

That's probably not the end of it though ...

Finally someone here that is not a diehard fanboy and sees the things as they are !

I was thinking the exact same way, they call it a SUV but I don't see it anywhere a SUV, except being a hatchback with an AWD option

Then you realize 195 miles of range in the cold can quickly become 120. Or less.

What is your point?
Your 195 is completely arbitrary and picked out of thin air.
With that said....
I also realize your average american household has 2 cars.
i also realize most drive WAY less than 120 miles per day.
I personally drive about 50km or less per day.
We tend to use our EV for city driving.
I personally would rather more usable storage with no sloped roof and take a degradation of range. Do you know gas cars have the same laws of physics apply to them as EV? all other things being equal...the lower the drag the better the gas mileage. hmmmm so why are most SUV's square on the back? yes range is important, but if you go check it out, and your dog cant stand, or only can if you put dog in first, then surround her by flat luggage, you aint buying. same go's for thicker objects. the honda CRV which is a five seater has MORE interior room. it remains to be seen if those rear seats will hold more than a kid.

Tesla is breaking so many records, I don’t think the general population has really been able to comprehend what is really happening with Tesla due to constant FUD taking over the mind space.

First new American car company to mass produce in 100 years. 100 years people.

First foreign owned company factory in Shanghai in 1000 years. That’s a millennium. That’s literally since the Dark Ages.

Zero “gas stations” to 12,000 superchargers globally in 6.5 years. 12,000. Competitors? Still zero.

We can go on and on, it’s so extensive...

Something big is happening and it’s baffling that this isn’t what our media is recognizing, putting the rest of Auto and energy business on notice for dragging their feet.

It is literally insanity that these American achievements aren’t front and center. This crosses all political persuasions and industries.

I can see why Elon’s baffled by this seemingly financial/media warfare being waged. Where are all the environmentalist, the champions of the clean air and water in Congress? What aren’t they standing on their pulpits demanding auto and energy transformation like Tesla is doing? It’s really not that hard, the solution is right in front of their faces and still, they’re talking about “needing action urgently.” Still at the same talking point from 20 years ago!

You have to have a real thick sense of irony/humor about it all, since otherwise you think we can’t help but go the way of the dodo bird.

Not that it's important, but I cringed when EM made the comment about Tesla being the first new American company to mass produce cars in 100 years. Kaiser Frazer started to mass produce cars in 1946 and hung on until 1953. EM can say Tesla is the first successful start-up in 100 years.

Another possibility is it was a scripted event where EM was controlled and preapproved to not guess or express optimistic opinions. Think SEC. Then again this was not a car where he or Franz could express themselves. Pickups will be different.

So according to you Elon cannot announce news or make optimistic statements during an after hours presentation? :confused: What's the difference with an after hours conference call? According to me those restrictions apply to twitter (or social media) only.

Why are all the semi parked on the side of GF3? Didn’t Elon say he wants the assembly line near the dock to reduce parts movement? Parts/raw materials comes in one end and finished cars out the other end? I can’t imagine the large semi trucks made in China and shipped to North America.

Tesla said they will first produce semi for themselves to use. Most likely produced in the US and shipped to China. Those semi dock at the right places to supply parts to the Model 3/Y assembly lines to achieve minimal parts movement, then they take the finished products ship them to customers. On the way back, they carry parts, dock at the right places... I guess this would be a good approach to improve efficiency.

I guess the Shanghai Gigafactory will look exactly like in the picture later this year, but the Tesla semi won't be there anytime soon.

Have you seen an EPA estimate for e-Tron? I think it is likely to be significantly lower than the SR Model Y.

I read E-tron is 248 miles WLTP which i think would be closer to 200 miles EPA. (This uses I-Pace EPA range of 234 miles vs its WLTP range of 292 miles).

They still haven't said. Audi web site says: "Range - TBD." Maybe they're afraid to release it, but to sell cars they have to have a Monroney affixed.

• Informative
Reactions: Sean Wagner
Because they are selling all they can build, so they need an additional line to produce more.

Building on the same line implies that Model Y demand volume is not high enough. Which mean that total production rate of Model 3 + Y will be less than 7000 a week for the year 2019. As shareholders, we do not want this outcome.

We have to think a little longer term than just 2019.

Once the China GF comes online and we have a European GF - Tesla would be producing 3 & Y in the US for US consumption. It would be very useful if they can switch volume back & forth between 3 & Y depending on the demand. Infact I hope the lines in China & Europe GF can do the same thing.

Then, Tesla can make a separate assembly line for Pickups in US.

We have to think a little longer term than just 2019.

Once the China GF comes online and we have a European GF - Tesla would be producing 3 & Y in the US for US consumption. It would be very useful if they can switch volume back & forth between 3 & Y depending on the demand. Infact I hope the lines in China & Europe GF can do the same thing.

Then, Tesla can make a separate assembly line for Pickups in US.

So you're basically saying they should produce less Model 3s, even though they can sell them, because some time in the nebulous future demand could possibly decrease? What kind of sense is that?

So you're basically saying they should produce less Model 3s, even though they can sell them, because some time in the nebulous future demand could possibly decrease? What kind of sense is that?
Are you saying Model Y and Euro GF are nebulous futures ? ;)

There isn't demand for 350k Model 3s in the US. So, it would be great if those lines can be used to make Y.

Still trying to figure out the "one more thing" Elon said was there but everyone missed:

Elon Musk on Twitter

"There was something, but no one caught it"

Here are the guesses I've seen so far:
  • European Gigafactory by early 2021 confirmed via the Model Y FAQ and the order page. Problem: this is news, but it wasn't during the presentation, so it cannot be what Elon is referencing.
  • Tesla Semis clearly rendered as part of the Shanghai Gigafactory by the end of 2019.
  • There's reports on Reddit that an image of a pickup truck flashed on the screen for 0.5 seconds, but the guests were already leaving and there's no video.
  • Elon made a cryptic reference to a Model S 2, which was also on the license plate. Model S v2, i.e. refresh?
Probably Starman, walking around amongst the crowd. He delivered Elon's old Roadster to Mars, gained his full AI powers while there, and came back in time for the Model Y reveal. Hoping to bask in his well deserved glory: only to be ignored, and mistaken for a lowly humanoid.