Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course you can go to production/delivery section of model3 but for those not watching there, I was very surprised to see 2 week delivery of a model3 LR AWD ordered this morning. Live on east coast so clearly already built and either in transit or at distribution center.

When are people going to start believing what Tesla stated first last fall, that they're no longer building all cars to order, but rather maintaining common configs in each market and matching orders to the configs in order to reduce delivery times?

People keep acting surprised by this... :)

Bleats was never an option
Polizei was never an option.

teaserbreit.jpg

The Rivian pricing seems way overly optimistic given the very large battery pack sizes and that they will need to buy batteries on the open market in relatively low volumes. If these trucks make it to production they will cost a lot more than currently planned.

You only look at Rivian's disadvantages not their advantages.

They will be buying at a rate of ~20k x 135 kWh per year for the first year or two. Not small potatoes. They are also going with 2170 cylindrical cells allowing them to shop and switch between vendors more easily.

Historically,prices fall ~6% per kWh per year for lithium ion.

Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers for BEV components are much further along not requiring as much vertical integration as Tesla has done to date.

They are not paying Bay Area pricing for real estate or labor but rural Illinois for manufacturing and Plymouth MI for headquarters with small satellite offices in Silicon Valley and Irvine CA.

They are not paying for Supercharger buildout. CCS buildout will be much further along in the US in 1.5-2 years. If nothing else by Court Order from the Dieselgate resolution in the US.

They are likely not paying for Service Center buildout. Likely going third party.

Various areas of the business are not being designated "not a profit center."

It is likely Rivian will be able to free ride off of Tesla's efforts to legalize direct sell of vehicles in many US States( minus those where Tesla got a special exemption just for itself.)

Then you clearly don't get it. Tesla is expanding, in all directions. But because they haven't hit your location yet, you just assume "they're not coming here". Which is nonsense. Yet it's the same nonsense we see here time and time again, people coming and whining about Tesla not being in their location, and how they're never going to come... and then six months later, Tesla opens charging stations there, and we never hear from them again.

This isn't my first rodeo with people like you coming here and making arguments precisely like the one you're making now.
Though to be fair to the original poster, some places seem to have fewer Tesla stores these days...whether or not "ppl like you" are willing to acknowledge that.

Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
8wvmfwfw6nm21.jpg

We've been talking aesthetics and potential demand for the pickup and I've got another data point that we can possibly generalize. I saw this on Reddit and my wife's reaction was: "Not only am I not getting in that thing, but we aren't parking it in the driveway either." Even though my future electric pickup would be mine, it also doubles as a family vehicle. My wife isn't getting out of this and walking into church, despite how badass I think it looks.

She said it'd be great for when I joined up with some weirdo militia and I was like...

flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg

I’d tell her, “That’s fine, Honey. Enjoy your walk to church. Hope it doesn’t rain.”

oooh I like where he took it.
8Kkvsf8.png

I still wonder/daydream if the entire cab/crew cab area isn't a fabricated structure to hide a blade runner looking beast underneath. sorry for my crap pics
5WB964Z.png

Never thought I would see one rectangle cause so much speculation ..
Hope Pickup get's it's own thread by tomorrow morning. cheers!!

Depends where you live. In BC you have a choice of about 150 Chademo/CCS locations either already up and running or with termination dates by end 2019. And more to come in 2020 already funded. You can pretty much go anywhere. With a Tesla model 3 you are limited to 14 lications and a narrow strip in the main highway thru the province. A model S or X is different as there is a Chademo adapter.

Our number one choice for our next car is a model 3 LR or AWD. But we’ll be buying a Leaf E-Plus because we can actually go places with it. Awesome province with lots to see, but you won’t be seeing it in a model 3.

Do you think Tesla will not make a chademo connector for Model 3? I think they will. For me it’s a bit different, I value my appearance too much to be seen in a leaf.

Do you think Tesla will not make a chademo connector for Model 3? I think they will. For me it’s a bit different, I value my appearance too much to be seen in a leaf.

I don't think they will. They will make a CCS adapter that can support at least 120kW. No point in putting effort into the 50kW CHAdeMO adapter, and you really don't need both a CCS and CHAdeMO adapter. (CCS is growing way faster than CHAdeMO, and will likely continue to do so.)

• Informative
Reactions: VValleyEV
'No earlier than' is pretty standard for rocket launches. Not weasel words, but actual scheduling/contract terms.
OT

Sounds legit, until you stripped off the context from the Spaceflight Now article: "Officials have not announced a launch date for the Falcon Heavy’s next mission".

By definition, the public is mislead when even interested parties like @winfield100 misremember the details: he recalls the date reported by CNBC but forgets the "no earlier than" part, because its added at the end to de-emphasize its importance.

Honest reporting puts that caveat up front, and emphasizes that, as Spaceflight Now did in their story, that no launch date has been set, so a 'missed launch date' is not even possible.

News that's engineered to mislead is misinformation. When reporting consistently targets one company while ignoring similar events from competitors like ULA, that reporting is part of a misinformation campaign.

This story sets up CNBC with the convenient option of ignoring whether the Falcon Heavy launch meets their timing, or writing a followup headline that "SpaceX launch delayed again" if they don't launch on CNBC's timing.

So "pretty standard" reporting for the manipulation managers at CNBC.

TL;dr weasel words.

Last edited:
You don't seems to concerned about your little assumption as you should.
Hyundai Slashes Kona Electric Production, But Why?

No news about their production hell, why the cut?

Why would I be concerned? I have no financial stake in Kia/Hyundai and don't think that Tesla's potential success or failure is dependent on Tesla having no competition.

Competition is coming, that is a certainty and is absolutely part of Tesla's plan.

I suspect Kia/Hyundai will ultimately be among the stronger competitors. Korea has a strong battery industry and Kia/Hyundai seem closer to cracking the code to a viable electric vehicle than the Germans. Besides, they have roughly 2 years before Tesla projects the standard range Model Y is available.

• Disagree
Reactions: GSP and madodel
Informative although I have limited understanding of the terminology.

So what is your take on why the model 3 is not compatible with the Chademo adapter.
Could just be a matter of priorities on testing and possible firmware revision.

Or, given the Model 3 can do CCS internationally, it may be that the underlying charging control layer is different enough that it will take some additional engineering to adapt or they have other plans to implement.

Or Chademo was a stop gap, and with more Supercharger rollout they really don't feel it's necessary now... they may have looked at total adapter sales and just decided it ain't worth it.

Just took delivery of Model3 SR+.
Very easy process.
Ordered online feb28.
Car got delivered to house.
Did a walkthrough.
Configured the car.
Signed the papers.
Gave the delivery guy the check.
Took less than 30 minutes.
VIN 297xxx

Happy customer. :)

Care to film a full Supercharging session on an unpaired stall, from as-close-to-zero-as-you-dare (preferably under 10%) up to 100%, and post a video of the session on Youtube, so that we can get a charging curve? :) Don't think anyone has done that yet.

Also: I'm sure Bo at ABetterRoutePlanner would love if you registered as a data contributor to improve his vehicle simulation models (it's autocollected, you just have to have the app open).