Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
YES, clearly. The only reason Tesla's market share is less than 1% is because they are production constrained, and will be for years.
Uh yes, kind of what a start up is. Success is not yet written into the history books, so let not jump the gun saying Tesla will be successful despite losing a rockstar CEO. I can't even say Tesla will be successful even with Elon. Hell Elon couldn't even say that today (quote from him is "more than likely". No one on wallstreet is saying this either(hence our current SP).

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
When it comes to innovation, Apple is completely losing its touch and are losing fans rapidly to competition.
Uh, no. You have no idea what you're talking about. I use Apple's best products ever every day: the Watch and AirPods. The iPhone is excellent too, but the others demonstrate post-Jobs innovation to perfection, and they keep getting better.

Meanwhile, I think Tesla's products have no demonstrated special sauce that doesn't come from Elon. Losing him would be a terrible, perhaps fatal, blow.

Edit: Of course, the chance of losing him due to this stupid SEC thing is approximately zero.

Last edited:
Not pressured, inspired...

Sorry, no. Any sort of display of emotions or support for any side, active or passive is strongly discouraged within federal courtrooms. Oral arguments are serious business and anything the lawyers say will become part of the official record and can make or break a case. Federal judges are neutral and don't want to be influenced and don't want to be perceived to have been influenced by anything than the law, facts and logic. Even if the case was "Anna Frank vs. Adolf Hitler", they'd strive to be impartial and professional.

So please behave. :D

@ihors3:
$TSLA short interest is $8.39 billion; 31.32 million shares shorted; 24.74% of float; 0.30% borrow fee. Shorts are down $221 million in mark-to-market losses on today's 2.6% price move. Shares shorted up 784k this week and 4.35 mm, +16%, in March.

D2sSID_WsAErg7Y.jpg

..idiots! :)

Perhaps after Tesla is a household name like Apple before the passing of Steve Job. Tim lost that magic touch, but the iphone has already taken off to the stratosphere. When it comes to innovation, Apple is completely losing its touch and are losing fans rapidly to competition. You think Tesla, with less than 1% of total marketshare of all cars sold can now succeed without Elon? That's a little premature to make that call don't you think?
And being naive

had an unreal experience that I think speaks to the most underrated thing about Tesla: brand value.

was parked waiting for something and three kids (oldest was maybe 12, youngest like 6) walked by. oldest one backtracked realized it was a Tesla and literally couldn't stop pointing and yelled out to his brothers who were similarly amazed. Tesla's brand value is insane. no one reacts like that to seeing a Benz or BMW, especially not kids.

You could make an equivalent car that could be just as good but if it's not a Tesla its not getting that "OMFG" from those kids.

Man even my 4 year is pointing out every Tesla on the road. She also loves to tell other people at the playgrounds that we drive in a Tesla.

If that wasn't embarrassing enough, she also likes to carry around a fake wallet and say "I need to spend on cash to buy things".

OMG I swear it's not my fault.

@ihors3:
$TSLA short interest is $8.39 billion; 31.32 million shares shorted; 24.74% of float; 0.30% borrow fee. Shorts are down $221 million in mark-to-market losses on today's 2.6% price move. Shares shorted up 784k this week and 4.35 mm, +16%, in March.

View attachment 390946

It is really impressive how they short at the bottom and cover at the top, isn't it? They COULD have made a lot of money swing-trading, but instead...

@ihors3:

View attachment 390946

Wow and here I thought the shorts were going to be able to get out of Tesla relatively ok due to the dropping short interest while the stock price stagnated around 300-315/share. Even if you don't believe Tesla is going to be as dominate as the bulls think, it would be crazy to add to your short right now.

Meanwhile, I think Tesla's products have no demonstrated special sauce that doesn't come from Elon.
I'm quite sure some of the "special sauce" comes from JB, and some from Franz. Though certainly very important parts (specifically the focus on cost reduction) come from Elon.

@ihors3:

View attachment 390946

So it looks like almost all the price drop since mid february is from shorting...

Young people are nuts for Teslas. (25 and lower).

I wonder how the kids react today when they see a Lamborghini or a Ferrari?

The smarter ones will realise they can accelerate the development of sustainable transport by pointing to the tailpipes and openly mocking the vehicle. Take away the cool factor of owning expensive pollution machines and the money will instead flow to top end, high margin EVs.

So tip for the kids: Shrug. Say “pity it’s not electric”. Walk on.

I should caveat that this week's increase in short interest MAY be due to merger arb traders playing the MXWL merger. We'll know as soon as the merger closes; if short interest drops substantially pretty much overnight after the merger closes, that was merger arb shorting.

Don't see enough volume on MXWL for that: less than 10m shares traded this week, which is maybe 100k TSLA shares equivalent volume.

Here I'm assuming that the obvious arbitrage trade would be to buy ~100 MXWL shares for every TSLA share shorted.

Right?

@ihors3:

View attachment 390946

Its the #TSLAQ motto: "Short Low, Cover High"