Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the stock was gonna pop on the deliveries report and then fade into the SEC hearing, there is less and less time for that to happen now, with only 1-2 trading days left. Next few days are going to be very interesting.

Tesladaily made some pretty good points on how the stock will most likely drop UNLESS there's a S/X surprise which is unlikely from our sleuthing. Yes, the analyst will be surprised by the Model 3 deliveries, but they will just contribute that to pent up demand and solving logistic hell + U.S still has tax credit. The narrative of the Model 3 cannibalizing S/X sales will be all over the news.

AFAIK Germany will report March registrations in two days - 4th of April.

5-6k sounds too much - 3-4k would be fantastic!
The numbers of these "evident-based" deliveries estimates in US/EU/CN do not match with the productions. If Tesla has a sub par March deliveries as estimated by InsideEVs, the total deliveries won't be very good.
Let's say Tesla has sustained 6,500/week Model 3 production rate, the total productions would be ~52,000 in 8 weeks. (6,500/wk is slightly less than the estimate by carsonights - 80,000 in 12 weeks.) EU and CN deliveries are all from Jan and Feb productions. Alpha Hat also estimated 11.5k Model 3 in Jan. Let's conservatively take Alhpa Hat Feb number is around 10k. We would have US(11,500+~10,000) + EU(23,000) + CN(15,000) = 59,500 Model 3s from Jan and Feb productions - The total number is already 7,500 cars more than the estimated Model 3 productions in the first two months. Canada and Mexico are not even included in deliveries yet.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AndyH and Thekiwi
UPS Switches On Smart Grid In London To Super-Charge Electric Delivery Fleet
UPS is a trend setter. Switch all your parcel delivery to UPS. I've added the bold.
"PS has a long history with EVs, having first introduced them into its fleet in the 1930s, and, reintroduced modern EVs in 2001. Currently, UPS has more than 300 electric vehicles and nearly 700 hybrid electric vehicles deployed in Europe and the U.S. The company recently ordered 125 new fully-electric Semi tractors to be built by Tesla in 2019, one of the largest pre-orders to date. Additionally, last September, UPS announced it will become the first commercial customer in the U.S. to start using three medium-duty electric trucks from Daimler Trucks Fuso brand, called the eCanter."

I'm not sure what brand of truck is in that photo jhm, however UPS is also working with Thor and other electric vehicle companies.
UPS partners with startup Thor to build two new electric trucks
Awesome. I'm not certain that the truck in my picture is a Tesla, but that was hinted at both by official UPS and Tesla Twitter handles.

Awesome. I'm not certain that the truck in my picture is a Tesla, but that was hinted at both by official UPS and Tesla Twitter handles.
Tesla and UPS may be working on something, but that looks an awful lot like this one from 2013...
ups_morganolson480x320.jpg

UPS Adding 100 Electric Delivery Vans - EVWORLD.COM

It seems that (for deliveries) the base bull case is 60k M3 (vs 55k consensus), and 15k S,X (vs 20-25k consensus). So that is 75k total for the base bull case, with a decent chance of a 5-10k upside surprise.

It’s a little bizarre that the bulls are expecting 15k S/X, the bears are expecting virtually none, and only the analysts are expecting 25k, despite that being essentially impossible given the battery supply.

If Tesla reports really good delivery numbers and very little in transit or inventory (essentially nullifying their earlier warnings), would that be considered misleading? And what about if they say that they are going to report a profit now? Would investors or even shorts have a grievance right, saying that Tesla should have warned them (so that they wouldn't have sold or that they could buy back their shares and/or cover their shorts)? I know it kinda sounds like a silly question, but I'm seriously asking. Anybody with more knowledge on securities law? (Not that I would complain, but just wondering whether others would have a right to.)

I think Elon has warned many times that it is very difficult to predict the S curve at this point, also it would be hard to determine demand for higher options... I don’t see how this could be considered fraudulent, but then again teslaq calls everything fraud....

If Tesla reports really good delivery numbers and very little in transit or inventory (essentially nullifying their earlier warnings), would that be considered misleading? And what about if they say that they are going to report a profit now? Would investors or even shorts have a grievance right, saying that Tesla should have warned them (so that they wouldn't have sold or that they could buy back their shares and/or cover their shorts)? I know it kinda sounds like a silly question, but I'm seriously asking. Anybody with more knowledge on securities law? (Not that I would complain, but just wondering whether others would have a right to.)
If the actual was supposed to always match the guidance - what is the point of stock market at all ?

It is a problem only if the company lies i.e. they think the sales will be 100M, but guide for 80M.

It’s a little bizarre that the bulls are expecting 15k S/X, the bears are expecting virtually none, and only the analysts are expecting 25k, despite that being essentially impossible given the battery supply.
Any analyst "expecting" 25k S&X should be fired right away or more accurately investigated by SEC & FBI.

All they are doing is taking last year's actuals of 100k and dividing by 4. They are ignoring
- Lower guidance of 80k
- Seasonality
- Tax credit reduction
- Pull ahead of demand to Q4 because of tax credit reduction
- Cannibalization by 3
- Reduction of # of shifts making S&X
PS :
- Eliminated the lower battery capacity model
- Since all S&X are 100 kWh, need more cells than they can make

Last edited:
Wasn’t that long ago there was rumor of Tesla doing a joint venture ( many here throughout it might be with GM) . And KarenRei had a secrete she was telling anyone. Could this be a clue?
I thought that was with a major OEM?
If Tesla had the capacity, I'd love for them to make the USPS a new vehicle. Advanced summon would be the cat's purr/ dog's wag for park and loop routes with package delivery. 180k vehicles driven umpteen hours a day 6 days a week...

Any analyst "expecting" 25k S&X should be fired right away or more accurately investigated by SEC & FBI.

All they are doing is taking last year's actuals of 100k and dividing by 4. They are ignoring
- Lower guidance of 80k
- Seasonality
- Tax credit reduction
- Pull ahead of demand to Q4 because of tax credit reduction
- Cannibalization by 3
- Reduction of # of shifts making S&X

*and* the fact that they’re all 100kWh now, meaning that would require a dramatic increase in their battery supply, which would have no source.

He didn’t do the technical analysis, his buddy did. And he has a very high success rate. Cramer doesn’t recommend the stock. I’m happy that he aired this
It's a way for him to save face either way, esp after all his recent bashing. If it goes down, he can say I told you so. And if it goes up, he can say "my guy" came on my show and said so. Duplicitous SOB!