Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody know if China allows short selling?
!*asking for a friend*!

So I'd assume it would be on the Shanghai exchange, which...

http://english.sse.com.cn/overseasinvestors/start/trading/ said:
An eligible investor may,through designated trading orby a member of the Exchange accepting his or its instruction, engage in margin trading and short selling of stocks that are approved by the Exchange for such purpose.

So, the exchange has to approve short selling (as well as margin trading) on a specific stock.

Tesla is the gorilla in the EV space (read "The Gorilla Game.") and THE most disruptive company in the world. Now the company is production and line up constrained. Yet, it does not seem that other companies see this as an opportunity to catch up. Rather, most continue to pursue a compliance and holding action strategy.
This is normal. Most upper management only hears what they want to hear because subordinates do not want to lose their jobs by telling the boss he's full of it, or that something could possibly go wrong with their plans. Only the bottom two layers have the real information and they are never ever listened to. Then there are all the internal politics that favour the status quo.

I'd define it this way:

Government is good at running natural monopolies and services where there's little competition, which come in three main groups:
  • Essential resources management: Water supply, road network, electricity, sewage and waste disposal, monetary system,
  • Defense against human threats and related conflict resolution and enforcement: the military, the police, the judiciary and regulatory agencies,
  • Defense against biological threats: healthcare, disease control, sanitary regulations,
  • Long term growth: education, scientific research and exploration.
  • Social services: because we as a people care.
A modern government is basically an insurance company with an army. Ideal government size is around ~10% of the total labor force, the other ~90% employed in the private sector.

The private sector is best suited everywhere else where price discovery is fast and where there's market based competition. This covers the large majority of economic activities.

Do you include army in that 10%. With that kind of thinking, that government should have certain size, we have private companies that would not have existed if not for government contracts?

exactly. how can he be in clear, deliberate contempt of an agreement that can't be defined by either party that agreed to it?

What if the SEC pushed for Elon to "seek approval" for any tweet "related to Tesla, Inc". I wonder if Elon would agree to that -- while on the surface it's considerably more stringent than the prior agreement, at least it would be an easier standard to define and comply with. and besides, since the approval is just going to be a rubber stamp from someone within the company that's already on his side, what's the big deal?
Twitter is a spontaneous medium and EM likes that.

The article claims that some cars were delivered in Q1 that were only intended for Q2 by pulling in the schedule of some of the ships. If that’s true Tesla must have had unexpectly lower demand in the USA, with Europe trying to save the quarter.
Anyway, still no SR on sale for Europe, and lots of complaints on FB by people who hoped to have had their car by now. Europe will have lots of demand for the high end Model 3s for quite some time. And an order of magnitude more demand for SR editions.
My Model 3 was scheduled as a February delivery. First, it was postponed to March, and then to Q2. Delivery took place on April 3.

We and all our loved ones, friends, family... we're all going to die younger because of their greed and we're all going to be sicker while alive.

How can this possibly be allowed to continue?

Like in most ‘civilized’ countries, industry lobby and politics are doing their dirty games in every branch, till they are forced to stop. Who could possibly disallow it to them, at this point?

They allow it to each other till the influence of the money giver shrinks and the politician fears loosing votes.

For now we can only hope people buy more EVs and support our Friday for Future Kids, so that it can’t be ignored anymore. But don’t set the hopes too high, while they find enough noise to disturb (Brexit,...).

What’s most tragic about that regarding the German situation is, that they not only poison their own people, but ruin the future wealth, while delaying the necessary change to a new technology.

Edit: Jerry was a min. faster.

Nah, I get my neutron moderators from Alibaba. :p

It actually was for a project I was working on... using GEANT4 to simulate a lithium-burning ADS (spallation-driven reactor) concept that I had, inspired by the powerful 16MeV beta- decay (7Li -> 8Be -> 2 * 4He); the idea was that if you had a high neutron economy you could get 16 MeV in nonthermal beta power (collimated and decelerated, for very high efficiency) for 20-25 MeV per fast neutron, then multiplied, with a efficient combined cycle thermal power plant regenerating 60% of the spallation/multiplication waste heat and yielding an excess of power.

Really should get back to that project at some point, but it got less interesting after I realized that I'd forgotten to account for the energy lost from the system by the electron antineutrinos - actually the majority of the 16 MeV on average :Þ Also, the more promising isotope (7Li) would have required cold neutrons due to its terrible (n,γ) cross section; using 6Li with fast neutrons for a (n,2nα) reaction was an alternative being examined (but with significantly reduced energy output). Both concepts would have required an extremely effective nonthermal energy recapture process in the spallation target to have a chance, which I was going to have to simulate but never got around to. Probably not possible, but I still should have finished the project, though.

Neutron multiplication was absolutely essential, and I was looking into the possibility of using unrefined beryllium ore as the multiplier, since beryllium is so expensive; I was curious as to how much of a penalty that would pose and whether it'd be worth it. Not that the ore is cheap, mind you.

Last edited:
It actually was for a project I was working on... using GEANT4 to simulate a lithium-burning ADS (spallation-driven reactor) concept that I had, inspired by the powerful 16MeV beta that 8Li's decay has (7Li -> 8Be -> 2 * 4He). Really should get back to that project at some point, but it got less interesting after I realized that I'd forgotten to account for the energy lost from the system by the electron antineutrinos :Þ Also, the more promising isotope (7Li) would have required cold neutrons due to its terrible (n,γ) cross section; using 6Li with fast neutrons for a (n,2nα) reaction was an alternative being examined. Both concepts would have required an extremely effective nonthermal energy recapture process in the spallation target to have a chance, which I was going to have to simulate but never got around to. Probably not possible, but I still should have finished the project, though.

Neutron multiplication was absolutely essential, and I was looking into the possibility of using unrefined beryllium ore as the multiplier, since beryllium is so expensive; I was curious as to how much of a penalty that would pose and whether it'd be worth it. Not that the ore is cheap, mind you.
Impressive! Are you a nuclear physicist?