Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TSLA is up premarket despite the latest and greatest price target cut:

"Vertical Group says Tesla running out of car buyers, cuts price target to $54. (link: http://dlvr.it/R2Cww6) dlvr.it/R2Cww6 "

;)
It's because nobody listens to him. Gordon Johnson of fairfax financial short and distort scheme, working with Chanos at the time. This guy should simply be barred from being an analyst. He and Anton Whalman are cut from the same cloth.

Are the short sellers behind the anti-Tesla media crusade...or is it someone more sinister?

Last edited:
I don't look at it this way. The larger the data set, more examples of a particular edge case you can find to include - apart from more edge cases. If it was small - you have to go and specifically collect those data sets, and you will be limited to what you can easily collect.
Since it appears to have been missed from before, I'll reiterate: what you are describing in no way requires a large data set. If you have a trillion records and ten of them represent an edge case, how would you even know? How would you find them when the problem is that they haven't been labeled? It does you absolutely no good. And, if you do know you need it, odds are pretty good that out of those ten you might have two or three that are usable (obscuration issues, focus issues, repeats of same presentation, etc.).

What is needed is the capacity to collect. And this is what Tesla has in spades due to every car being instrumented. So once they identify a case where they need more coverage they push a campaign out to the fleet so that they can have targeted data collection for that edge case. Doing so removes the "needle in the haystack" problem of having too large of a data set. This gives them a data set that is relevant and small enough to sift through to ensure that labeled data has the range needed to be useful for the neural net.

If it was just having a large data set I think google would not be trailing Tesla so much -- and might even be in the lead. What Tesla has though is a roaming fleet that can be tasked to collect data as needed and to evaluate the neural net's performance through an order of magnitude more instrumented miles driven. A defender of Waymo would point out that Tesla does not have much in the way of autonomous miles, but that is fairly irrelevant: Waymo's miles are in geo-fenced areas and so lack generalizability. What really matters is the evaluation of the neural net, and Tesla is way ahead of anyone else.

Finally, if you don't believe me you should watch the video of Andrej Karpathy. I was struck by his point about too much data (and it resonates as I'll note below) so I repeated it here. He didn't go into all of this detail in that video, but the information is available. Feel free to disagree, but you should be aware that you are disagreeing with Andrej Karpathy as well. :)

(Note: this "too much data" is a problem for anyone who over collects. In my field you get places that practice excessive logging. Which doesn't help find problems and increases legal risk. There are companies whose business is to try and automatically classify (label) data and facilitate searching -- and they work to a point. But data collection and exploitation is as much art as anything and it doesn't help to have too much data. If you don't have a plan for how to exploit it then it is just costing you.)

Oh come on, you never look at pricing for bulk industrial chemicals such as alumium powder and beryllium ore? Seriously, am I the only one who does this?
Well, the rest of us other people who do so go through anonymizing proxies, disallow all cookies, block javascript, tracking images, DNS. I other people have found that using telnet is the best way to achieve this, though admittedly it has gotten harder to visualize web pages. o_O

Confession:

Yesterday I liquidated my TSLA position at open (my broker doesn't do pre-market trades). In hindsight I think it was a huge mistake and I'm buying it all back this morning. It hurt my cost basis by about $8/share. I was expecting a drop to continue throughout the morning and wasn't sure if there would be negative SEC repurcussions but neither happened.

I am a long (or have been traditionally) and have been pretty much all-in since not long after the IPO. I held when we dropped from $380 to the $250-280 range multiple times, when I could have been "smarter" and played the volatility. But the drop in S/X deliveries really spooked me as I know that's where a good portion of GMs come from currently.

With the easing pressure of the SEC debaucle and some reflection, I realized there are lots of good things to come, so I'm all in again this morning.

The mistake cost me a few thousand bucks in the short term, but I'm still confident that long-term I'll be in really good shape. (Stock would have to drop a lot for me to come out with a loss overall due to TSLA, so I'm luckier than most).

Moral of the story: Don't sell at a bottom. (Smacks forehead aggressively).

Have an app that delays any tweets made by Musk during market hours (including pre-market & after-market trading hours) delayed until there is no trading activity in the US. Continue to have all tweets monitored after-the-fact by legal, as is already in place.

If Elon really wants to get a tweet out during market hours, has to go through a review process unless utterly clear it is non-Tesla. If he really wants to get a Tesla tweet out during market hours, than get the Tesla account to tweet it out, and Elon can retweet it. In this scenario, Elon not having direct access to the Tesla account, and those that do, needing legal's approval to post an Elon tweet request for the Tesla account.

Elon can't mess this arrangement up in a 'violation,' sense. He can only mess up in the sense of tweeting on his Tesla account during restricted hours and then 5 minutes later, when he sees there's been no response to his tweet, remembering there is the tweet-delay portion of the day, and what he just tweeted is in limbo until later in the day.

Drop the confusing terms of the existing agreement.

SEC can take away from this that Elon will not tweet material information re Tesla during market hours.

Elon can take away from this that he can tweet as he did before this whole mess, but, during an explicit timeframe... 5pm to 1am Pacific time, his tweets will have a delayed release. Elon won't have to remember when to stay on or off his twitter account. I'm sure he won't like being restricted re immediate feedback, but, he's a busy guy, and it gives him a good chunk of the day without any of the awkward attempts to restrict him in the settlement. He'll just get in the habit of doing his tweets late in the day... which is when they tend to happen already.

Investor can take away, this would be a response to keep an event like the $420 tweet from occurring again without clarification/correction before being traded on. With this, investors would continue to have the benefit of Elon being able to communicate in this way that he feels is critical for Tesla. Yes, he'd be restricted to an 8 hour window each day to tweet without review, but, how much time a day does Elon hit twitter anyway? He's said maybe 15-20 minutes... plus, he'd have the ways to tweet anytime described above.

What are the alternatives?

• Is there some realistic negotiation of the ~contains, or could reasonably contain material information~ phrasing of the existing policy we think is going to happen?
  • Do we think there will be any negotiation that will be agreed to that doesn't allow both the SEC and Elon/Tesla to feel like they can say they walked away with what mattered to them? What else can we see happening that would let both parties say that?

I really think it is in investors interest that Tesla/Musk & the SEC do work out an unambiguous solution in this two week window set up by the Judge. Put aside the "who wins over who" tunnel vision, and just pick something realistic and unambiguous that meets the basic interests of all parties.
I'm so confused, who will protect the shortseller's interests when he tweets that he is making the worlds biggest factory(ies) to replace oil based transportation, or tweets progress related to such? Or does he now have to pretend his cars run on something else than electricity...

@Fact Checking kudos to you for having faith in this judge and the system. I was convinced of the argument (see my first ever post on TMC), but I had doubts whether the judge would not just groupthink with the media on this. I am so glad that facts and logic prevailed. Pretty good outcome (and much needed after last night's fiasco). Shorts are smarting from this, but it is exactly as many of us here at TMC stated. The judge questioned the materiality of the tweet, specifically noting whether prior info (she clearly had in mind the numbers from the conference call) can be considered material. She's smart, and an independent thinker. Kudos to her!

Tesla Got an Early Lead, but Luxury Electric Rivals Are Racing to Catch Up

Here we have the latest anti Tesla FUD from the yellow rag known as the NYT.

Best part is that not only is Tesla DOOMED by all the legacy car manufacturers that are going after Tesla’s market share with the introduction of multiple BEVs (with no mention of what all these new BEVs might do to their ICE business overall) but the NYT hurries to take a swipe at BEVs in general, bringing up this exotic thing called a ‘Level 2 charger’ which costs ‘thousands of dollars’ and how necessary it is to achieve a 20mph charging rate, which is still not enough!

I read this rag to keep the enemy close, but It is a chore I must admit.

Oh come on, you never look at pricing for bulk industrial chemicals such as alumium powder and beryllium ore? Seriously, am I the only one who does this?

Hey, Karen? Hi.

You don't know me, but I couldn't help overhearing your question. It is an important question, so much so that one almost never hears it being asked out loud. Most people go through their entire lives being too afraid of the answer. Most don't come to ask it at all.

So, no matter how difficult it might be for me to tell you this... you deserve the truth. The answer is yes. Yes, you are the only one glancing furtively at bulk pricing for industrial chemicals. Regular people just trust the purchase manager.

Tesla Got an Early Lead, but Luxury Electric Rivals Are Racing to Catch Up

Here we have the latest anti Tesla FUD from the yellow rag known as the NYT.

Best part is that not only is Tesla DOOMED by all the legacy car manufacturers that are going after Tesla’s market share with the introduction of multiple BEVs (with no mention of what all these new BEVs might do to their ICE business overall) but the NYT hurries to take a swipe at BEVs in general, bringing up this exotic thing called a ‘Level 2 charger’ which costs ‘thousands of dollars’ and how necessary it is to achieve a 20mph charging rate, which is still not enough!

I read this rag to keep the enemy close, but It is a chore I must admit.

Conjunction junction, what's your function?
To make FUD out of anything!
Tesla Got an Early Lead, and Luxury Electric Rivals are Racing to Catch Up....

Too bad (for them) to can't intersect a curve unless your slope is greater than it...
Pace of innovation is the true moat.

Confession:

Yesterday I liquidated my TSLA position at open (my broker doesn't do pre-market trades). In hindsight I think it was a huge mistake and I'm buying it all back this morning. It hurt my cost basis by about $8/share. I was expecting a drop to continue throughout the morning and wasn't sure if there would be negative SEC repurcussions but neither happened.

The mistake cost me a few thousand bucks in the short term, but I'm still confident that long-term I'll be in really good shape. (Stock would have to drop a lot for me to come out with a loss overall due to TSLA, so I'm luckier than most).

What about taxes ?