Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mark makes some funny jokes......and Mark makes some bad (and cringe-worthy) jokes....
And I can appreciate that he can rub some people the wrong way...
I'll leave it at that...

I agree with you that his contribution is comic relief. Sadly he’s as bad at that as he is at predicting Teslas and Elon’s demise.

From Twitter....
Maybe the matrix below will be more complete and helpful...

View attachment 394722

Man, I can't imagine what Tesla execs are thinking. I expect them all to horde their options like a dragon hordes gold**, and live only on their salaries, without the luxuries that selling options could provide them, and without any diversification to their portfolios. ;)

** Of course, we all know that dragons actually don't collect and horde gold. Do you ever see dragons going out and collecting gold and bringing it back? Of course not. Yet, somehow, it accumulates where they live. You might see them picking up a cow or some villagers to snack on, mind you. And then, some time later... gold. Basically, what I'm saying is, dragons clearly poop gold...

Man, I can't imagine what Tesla execs are thinking. I expect them all to horde their options like a dragon hordes gold**, and live only on their salaries, without the luxuries that selling options could provide them, and without any diversification to their portfolios.

** Of course, we all know that dragons actually don't collect and horde gold. Do you ever see dragons going out and collecting gold and bringing it back? Of course not. Yet, somehow, it accumulates where they live. You might see them picking up a cow or some villagers to snack on, mind you. And then, some time later... gold. Basically, what I'm saying is, dragons clearly poop gold...
It’s human nature to expand one’s lifestyle to slightly exceed one’s means, therefore perpetuating the search for wealth.

**If a good percentage of the villagers are rap stars or mobsters, I could hazard a guess as to how the gold accumulates.

Last edited:
OT
** Of course, we all know that dragons actually don't collect and horde gold. Do you ever see dragons going out and collecting gold and bringing it back? Of course not. Yet, somehow, it accumulates where they live. You might see them picking up a cow or some villagers to snack on, mind you. And then, some time later... gold. Basically, what I'm saying is, dragons clearly poop gold..

My view of "The Hobbit" scenes are forever changed...

Man, I can't imagine what Tesla execs are thinking. I expect them all to horde their options like a dragon hordes gold**, and live only on their salaries, without the luxuries that selling options could provide them, and without any diversification to their portfolios. ;)

You're probably right... I didn't think about how much individual Board members might be suffering with the mere pittance of a yearly salary they receive...

Perhaps you could post those numbers, for anyone here curious??
Might be enlightening......as to why they are always so happy to go along with whatever Elon wants.......as a good board should always, always, always, do.... ;-)

Might be enlightening......as to why they are always so happy to go along with whatever Elon wants.......as a good board should always, always, always, do.... ;-)
If only the board would resist Elon more. They should really spend more time following the $TSLAQ crowd and all of their great suggestions. I can only imagine where we would be now if they took their responsibility seriously and listened to all the shorts trying to steer them away from all the fwaud and bankwuptsy Elon is leading them towards. One thing for sure, I’m sure the panel gaps would be flawless and Tesla would sell more than just toy car fwaud mobiles.

You have to understand that once your rich, the mindset can be different for some. If you already have millions or tens of millions, you would never put that all in one place. Tesla will likely succeed, but there is no guarantee. Once you made it, so to say, the smart thing is to diversify. Why stress? Also we don't know why some of these folks are cashing in. As they say, insiders sell stocks/options for many reasons (tax, upcoming purchases, diversification, etc.), but they buy only for one. I really wouldn't read too much into these options sales. Many of the top executives, including Elon and JB still hold significant shares/options.

Okay, last post of the day... *Smokey hear's a collective ~FINALLY!!~ from the crowd* ;-)

Anyway, lots of thoughts here as to the news of the FCA / Tesla agreement earlier today, with some pretty decent numbers thrown out there... And we all agree any money coming in IS a good thing (we can agree on that, at least, right?) *tough crowd* :-O

Anyway, my man "Fly" on Twitter put together a pretty good summary as to his thoughts on the matter....
Summary: Good news.....but not ~quite~ as good of news as some of the thoughts here...
Anyway, agree or disagree, well worth the time to read through....

fly4dat on Twitter

The FT author followed up with a more precise price range: "Low triple digit million figure"
Patrick McGee on Twitter

So for me this implies the deal is more likely for 200-300M euros or $224-$336M dollars. (Assuming correct use of the word "hundreds" implying >200M)
I dunno. In my book “low” still means less than €500,000,000. The only alternative is “high”.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden and madodel
There is potential for significant growth in TE in Q4. Elon has mentioned several times that there will be a big ramp in TE and I think he mentioned that he eventually expects a similar margin to TM. In previous quarters TE was constrained by a lack of batteries/packs. However, Tesla sold 10K fewer cars in Q1 vs Q4 which means battery constraint may not be a factor in Q1. There also may be additional battery pack production capacity with the extra lines. What is the impact on revenue and earnings if the excess battery production goes into TE products? Can anyone do this calculation? My estimate is around $600M in additional revenue which would offset the shortfall TM deliveries. Does anyone have any insight into Powerwall and Powerpack deliveries or delivery times?
The only big project in the news was the Osaka Train station one... ??

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog and neroden
Tesla can say "We'll sell you a whole year's worth now for 50c/$, and true up at the end of the year, or you can buy monthly for 60c/$." In that scenario, it's better for FCA to borrow the money to pay up front. Note that once the deal is committed, Tesla could also borrow against the expected cash flow, so they can get access to a lot of cash now either way. But it's better for FCA to borrow than Tesla, because Tesla can count it as profit.

Evidently, FCA has cash.

Fiat Chrysler expects to pay stockholders a dividend for first time

There's a potential for a feed back loop here.

As tesla receive more credits, it can further lower m3 price and increasing market share. The other automakers won't be able to sell their ev and gain credit, hence forced to pool fleet with tesla. Which gives tesla more money to lower the m3 price in EU even more and increase market share more. Until an equilibrium where the other automakers now need less ev credit due to smaller market share.

And thus, the rule imposed market mechanism, works as intended, contrary to posts suggesting such mechanisms aid polluters.

As of about a year ago, there were only 5,000 FCV in California but they get double the credit of a BEV. Consider too that I believe the state of California put up the funding for the fueling infrastructure.
So to the original post, Honda and Toyota do get some ZEV credits on their own.

upload_2019-4-7_15-49-36.png

Toyota gets .9 ZEVs for each Prius Prime sold.

Honda gets 1.3 ZEVs for each Clarity PHEV sold, because it has longer electric range.

Tesla gets 3.9 credits for each BEV sold.

Tesla is banking a large amount of credits,it doesn't sell all of them.

Great videos in the last few days.

This has already been posted here:
The guys are at Munro shop, and they speak directly to the experts. So probably this is more informative (and clear) that the other video we're talking about.

Furthermore, this is a "1 year review" from a young Youtuber. I think it's nice and reassuring:

This is such old news. And it wasn’t just XOM. Pretty much anyone who was paying attention had figured it out by the mid 80s. Haven’t we done a great job?
The fossil fools made a lot of money which apparently was and is all that's important.