Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't really get why LR RWD is off-menu. Surely their margins are great on it - and people who want efficiency are going to be tempted to downgrade rather than upgrade.
This is why I still believe "they're having trouble switching the production line between variants" is certain. If they're losing two days every time they switch, that would be enough reason to wipe out a variant.

Well, it's just my subjective interpretation: Why else would they pull SR+ 6 months forward – esp. in the EU and China – if they had a full backlog?

Regarding EU, see the earlier discussion regarding FCA/Tesla pooling. Tesla is going to get extra cash for every sale in the EU, and the SR+ would not only increase sales, but do so using fewer battery cells (which Tesla still maintains is their chief bottleneck).

Leasing – on this forum here – was always deemed as *the* strongest lever to increase M3 demand. If that's not a sign of decreasing demand, I don't know what is. And that's by the bulls' very own logic.

The others are subjective, so I’ll leave those alone(ok, one comment: decreasing prices means lack of demand and raising prices means lack of demand and increasing number of models means lack of demand and decreasing models means lack of demand? Is there any possible positive sign of demand?)

They said leasing was coming. It wasn’t unexpected. And leasing is a mixed bag: it increasing the serviceable market but also hurts short term cash position. Offering it also means that they have plenty of cash on hand(which, thanks to the bears/press, was *not* baked in recently). The fact that it’s being offered with favorable terms for Tesla and a massive caveat for those leasing is also a big positive sign for demand vs. what was expected.

It’s poor execution to promise a $35k car and not be able to deliver it.

It was a mistake to promise a fixed $35k price in the first place. That's why Tesla is not making the same mistake with Model Y.

To be fair, when Elon mentioned $35k a few years ago, he said $35k plus inflation. There has been significant inflation especially for wage and battery materials. Of course shorts will spread FUD but ignore the inflation part.

The original promise was a decent 200 mile EV at $35k plus inflation. If they indeed offer a decent 200 mile EV at $39.5k, that would be basically what was promised. However, lets take a closer look of the Standard Plus at $39.5k:

1. #1 in safety: based on NHTSA test results, Tesla Model 3 stands alone with a below 6% chance of serious injury. This number is lower than any other car that has ever been produced. This is a huge achievement.
2. It has 240 mile range instead of 200 mile.
3. 12-way power adjustable heated front seats, premium seat material, instead of manual seats.
4. Keyless entry
5. User profile memory and automatic folding side mirrors
6. Keyless entry
7. High quality audio
8. Maps & navigation software
9. Glass roof, LED fog lamps
10. Autopilot
11. Lifetime over the air software update
12. Unmatched driving fun

None of these items were promised for the base Model 3, they are included without additional cost. It suppose to be a decent economic 200 mile EV, instead, they delivered "the ultimate driving machine".

Also, I heard they will start to deliver $35k Model 3 this weekend.

Edit: If $10k gasoline savings and $3750 tax incentive is considered, this car's cost is significantly lower than ICE vehicles. A friend of mine told me each month he spends $4k on gasoline - on one of his three vehicles.

Last edited:
I can't imagine that the Tesla Network would be feasible without a person in the driver's seat. I don't think people are ready to take drives in fully autonomous cars without a person at the wheel.

But for these "co-pilots", Tesla could have a really good recruiting pitch compared to Uber or Lyft. Instead of using your own car, you rent a Tesla and use that for taking passengers. You can use the car for whatever you want when not driving for the network as long as you drive for the network a minimum of N hours per week. Tesla could then let the driver keep more of the fare and reduce the cost per ride since they will make money on the car itself. For the driver, they don't have to pay for gas or maintenance like they would with an ICE car and get to drive a Tesla. Basically they subsidize the cost of each ride with the money generated from the car itself.

Tesla is delivering tremendous value with the Model 3.

That said, Tesla really wanted to deliver a $35k Model 3.

Many years ago, before a Model S had even been delivered, Elon emphasized that there would be no point to Tesla if they could not deliver a car for the cost of a Camry. The Model 3 was originally talked about as a $30k car. Then by the intro in March of 2016, it was $35k. Yes, there will be some delivered at $35k to those who already ordered it, but, I suspect this target was not an easy one to let go of for Tesla.

That would be a model 2's mission, starting $25k, without ap/fsd hw, that simply sells 5M units/year by fuel savings.

Reactions: Thekiwi
OK, so I actually agree -- my point, which was learned the hard way by not investing in Microsoft and not investing in Apple and not investing in Facebook (and, by contrast, investing in Exxon and in the old AT&T), is that for an investor, it doesn't matter. Even if the company ends up being reviled as the most evil company on the planet because of bad optics, if they still have more demand than they have production, they don't care and it's impossible to make them care, because it doesn't affect the bottom line. I mean, I wish they were looking forward to the day when they had real competition and had less demand than production, but they aren't looking forward to that day, probably because they won't get there for at least five years.

Yeah, I kinda agree. Moral and sympathy are not part of the economic equation.

However, I believe there's one massive difference between Tesla and all the examples you've listed above:

I'd say it was mostly ordinary people who hated MS, FB, Apple, AT&T, Exxon and co. They wanted to see them trip and fall, but they didn't – most likely because the Street stood firmly behind them.

With Tesla it's – for whatever reason – the media, Street and other powerful entities who want to bring it down. Completely different dynamics at play IMO.

Where did Panasonic say this? I keep asking, but nobody ever provides a direct quote.

Panasonic did say in their fiscal Q2 presentation on 10/18/18 that they planned to be at 35 GWh/year in Nevada by 3/31/19. But in the FQ3 presentation they said that was delayed.

EDIT: Someone posted this Reuters story:
Tesla, Panasonic to seek productivity gains before new battery investments
"Panasonic established a battery production capacity of 35 GWh in Tesla's Gigafactory 1 by the end of March 2019 in line with growing demand," Japan-based Panasonic said in an email.

This contradicts Carson's statements and Tesla's claim that they are still limited by cell production. Perhaps Panasonic's "capacity" means they have the ability to upgrade existing lines from 300k to 400k cells/day to match the output of the new lines. Or it may mean they moved S/X cell production over as they once indicated.

One thing Tesla cannot afford right now is take or pay on 35 GWh for Model 3 and energy storage only.

I agree. I said this earlier. Why on earth is everyone taking what Reuters said as gospel? They could have misunderstood timeframes. Someone at Panasonic might have said they have physical plant capacity for 35 GWh, but forgot to mention they don’t have enough qualified employees for it. Unless I see a direct quote from Panasonic saying “we are now producing cells at 35 GWh yearly output”, I’m not believing it. Note that the Reuters statement wasn’t even a quote.

Um... did anyone notice the mother of all MMD's just now? Any thoughts what caused the shorts to dump so hard?

chart.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: M|S|W and Mobius484
A few thoughts:
  • I'm completely fine with the $35k car going the way of the dodo. It's not ideal, but folks did get a chance to order it if they really wanted it. Further, what they are delivering for the base $39,500 price absolutely demolishes the promises from the 3/31/16 event for the $35k car. +25 miles of range (240 vs 215 promised), leatherette seating, upgraded audio, glass roof, Autopilot. It's a hell of a car, and it gives the opportunity for some future software unlock revenue to SR+ range and MCU feature set. Would it be better if they could profitably deliver the $35k car right now? Absolutely. But they clearly cannot, and are doing what they view as best for the company. Update, pre-posting: A spokesperson has confirmed that the $35k car is still available off-menu without Autopilot, contrary to the announcement last night. See my next point.
  • The comms team really needs to step it up. This isn't news, but it's actually getting worse on the official comms front, not better. I'm not even referring to the volume of changes--clearly the company is reacting in near real-time in an attempt to best balance production costs/efficiency and demand. But the communication is absolutely atrocious. For example, last night's announcement is not even internally consistent. Here's a direct quote: "All Tesla vehicles now come with Autopilot bundled as a standard feature for less than the prior cost of the option." No, they don't. Only the 3 reflects that change. S/X/Y still show it as an option, and a spokesperson has apparently confirmed to The Verge that it also doesn't apply to the 3 SR-. I put more effort into proofing my company announcements for consistency and accuracy than Tesla does, and I assure you that multiple orders of magnitude fewer people read mine. It's one thing for the individual company-to-customer comms to be as screwed up as they are (and to be sure, they still are--no reply to my voicemail to my service center from 8 days ago being just the latest of many for me personally), but for official blog posts to be this bad is a special kind of disorganization.
  • For the folks complaining about 'broken promise' when the $35k 3 goes fully away (which I think is inevitable in the medium term given these announcements): meh. They did bring the car to market. I'd rather this have been a limited-time promise kept than have it hamper their ability to continue moving toward self-sustainability going forward. As far as questionable promises from automakers are concerned, this one wouldn't even rate a mention. It's also not a malicious change.

Regardless of the rest of what I wrote, this dichotomy is pretty rich:
  • Tesla, 2/28: $35k Model 3 available now. We're shifting to online sales only and closing all but a 'small number' of stores.
  • Tesla, 42 days later: All Tesla vehicles now come with Autopilot bundled at a discount ($35k car is no longer available, although actually it mostly kind of is even though we literally just said it's not). If you want the SR- software-locked battery, call us or visit one of our several hundred stores.
Tl;dr - Tesla's doing their best, they're being responsive, but they really, really need to spend the minuscule amount of additional time to think through their announcements. It's a very good thing that the cars are amazing.