Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Refers to deleted post

MODERATOR HAMMER:
As an example of inane activity mentioned in a very recent Moderator Note -

All discussion of memes now is ended. Zero tolerance.

This is a good example of why it's helpful to try and catch up with the thread before posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Moreover, effective as of January 1, 2019, Jeffrey B. Straubel, our Chief Technical Officer, has requested that his base salary be reduced to reflect the applicable California minimum wage requirements."

Headline: Shortsville Times

Tesla so short on cash they can't pay their officers a decent salary !

So much FSD talk. What about production people? That’s what’s going to generate $$$ (or not) and drive TSLA for quite a while yet.

View attachment 398729

What about production? Do you expect us to have an update for you? ;)

I guess we could speculate about that instead. But the FSD event is what is on Monday.

That's really poor. My experience has been much better in terms of lane keeping. It hasn't crossed a yellow line in a long time. Maybe the FSD team isn't getting enough feedback from the vehicles like yours that are not doing well.
I have a friend with a Model 3 and AP visiting next week - we'll compare. Pretty scary if there's a lot of car-to-car variation. My car holds the lane 99% of the time - it's just on this one twisty highway...

Reactions: Skryll
Certainly didn't expect this: Tesla bear on Seeking Alpha argues that Tesla might turn a profit in Q1, due to the large number of wildcard revenue sources available this quarter:

Don't Be Surprised If Tesla Posts A Q1 Profit - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

I still expect a sizable loss, but it's worth noting that there's a number of cases where he actually underestimates the upside.

Attempt to plant thoughts in people’s mind that earnings won’t be so bad, to lower the chances of an unexpected profit and subsequent run-up. We’ve seen this tactic before...

I have a friend with a Model 3 and AP visiting next week - we'll compare. Pretty scary if there's a lot of car-to-car variation. My car holds the lane 99% of the time - it's just on this one twisty highway...
I don't know if anyone else does this, but I only take over as a last resort. I am very interested in watching it figure things out, and maybe it learns more when I don't help it??? Child upbringing style I prefer, but then maybe Tesla doesn't catch my edge cases when they sumarginally succeed.

Headline: Shortsville Times

Tesla so short on cash they can't pay their officers a decent salary !
Hopefully Tesla doesn't do a charity fundraising lemonade stand or the parking lot spies will post photos insisting Elon is resorting to peddling lemonade to make payroll.

So, no batch deliveries like I had for my 3 ? I guess they do those only on quarter ends.
Well to be fair, this was a weekday before lunch time. The weekend could be an entirely different story.

Also, he said that Seattle no longer does on site deliveries, only service and deliveries to home. Bellevue now handles all of the on site stuff.

Honestly, I think we do a pretty good job of limiting the off topic stuff to after hours/weekend times. For me, and it's just me, I enjoy being able to laugh with these people every now and then (yeah, I know I am one of the worst "offenders"). When I did have a significant amount invested in Tesla (don't anymore because that was my down payment on Patience) the stress of the daily ups and downs were gratefully mitigated by some humor now and then.

I understand what you're saying but I do enjoy the human side of this thread and the wonderfully diverse opinions and personalities from all over the world. But again, that's just me.

Dan
Definitely. It's just frustrating when you don't have much time to try to jump into what's going on because there is no longer anyway to keep up. When I'm trying to find market/stock specific posts but don't have much time, it's pretty much hopeless. That's frustrating. I liked the way it was before because the market thread was manageable and when I wanted to delve into the other interesting stuff, I would bounce over to the general thread. I do get that there was a lot of overlap though. Maybe we just need a very specific market action thread that isn't a main thread. I just don't think it will get enough posts that way.

I liked the way it was before because the market thread was manageable and when I wanted to delve into the other interesting stuff, I would bounce over to the general thread.
The general thread was underutilized, especially as time went on, and most of the content was being discussed in the market thread anyway. If I get too far behind I just start jumping ahead a few pages at a time and if I find a discussion about something new I can back pedal a few pages to catch up if needed.

What about production? Do you expect us to have an update for you? ;)

I guess we could speculate about that instead. But the FSD event is what is on Monday.
Yes it is. And Wed is the Q1 report and call. I very much hope the time isn’t wasted during that communication with more pitching of the FSD moonshot, when the most basic component of Tesla’s business model (sourcing cells to make battery packs) is still under such a cloud.

I tried to get a job with Waymo last year as a driver, but my video interview was rejected (3rd party) because of my interest in Tesla. I was curious is all. Then I signed up late last year as a rider and the NDA was manditory. Clearly controlling the narrative. I dont know about Waymo One... no NDA? Hmmm.. really?
It seems all Waymo One riders so far were "upgraded" from the Early Rider (aka beta) program. They are still bound by their Early Rider NDA with respect to those trips, but are free to speak about their Waymo One trips. Reddit user Shawn88AZ is the best known. He's posted a couple videos of rides and has answered some questions.

Was just one random article. I've seen tons of reports. There's specific Waymo passenger pickup points for a reason, not just for the heck of it.

Sure, just link said rider reports. Thanks! Because every single one I've encountered has said that they don't, and indeed that's been one of the main reasons cited by people who state that haven't used Waymo that much - the stops weren't close enough to the locations they were traveling between.
I don't keep links of rider reports, but here's one I found (scroll way down for this comment, but the whole thread is worthwhile):
Generally I can have it pick me up and drop me off right where I need it to be. There are some restrictions for drop off locations, but these are few and far between and typically it is only a 50-100 foot walk. On only two occasions did I have to walk 1000 or so feet and this was more due to there not being a crosswalk nearby.
So far, this has not inhibited the use of the service for me, but there are some locations on the map that I am sure would inhibit the service for a few people. Even then, these are areas where I feel most people would not even notice unless they studied the map like I have."​

OK, that's one rider report that contradicts your claim. Now it's your turn to document just one of the "every single one" you've encountered that supports your claim.

Starship payload to LEO is "100k+ tonnes". With a jet, 100k tonnes in a cargo version equates to about 300 passengers in a passenger version. So "100k+" would be even more - maybe 400 passengers to orbit. But I don't think you could fit that many passengers in Starship (could you? I haven't mesed with the geometry).

Yeah, you might save only half a km/s dV going suborbital rather than to LEO. But that's equivalent to the extra gravity losses of cutting a G or so off your launch force. So even if you are launching ~400 passengers...
Fascinating, if droll. In Myspeak, "100k+ tonnes" means "greater than 100,000 tonnes. That means 3-400 VERY heavy passengers!!!! Blue whales, are we?

So board down from 11 to 9 this year and down to 7 in 2020.

"Moreover, the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee, the Board and each of Brad Buss and Linda Johnson Rice collectively determined that Mr. Buss and Ms. Rice will not stand for re-election to the Board at the 2019 Annual Meeting, at which time their current terms will expire. The Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee and the Board determined not to nominate alternate candidates for their Board seats for election at the 2019 Annual Meeting."

"Stephen Jurvetson, who in April 2019 returned from a leave of absence from the Board, determined collectively with the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee and the Board that he will not stand for re-election to the Board when his current term ends at the 2020 annual meeting of stockholders"

"Antonio Gracias determined collectively with the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee and the Board that he will not stand for re-election to the Board when his current term ends, which will be at the 2020 annual meeting of stockholders if our stockholders approve Proposal Five at the 2019 Annual Meeting."

"The Board also determined that the authorized number of directors will be reduced to nine, effective immediately following the expiration of Mr. Buss’s and Ms. Rice’s terms at the 2019 Annual Meeting. Additionally, following the future expiration of Mr. Jurvetson’s and Mr. Gracias’ terms, the Board currently expects to further reduce the authorized number of directors by the number of their Board seats."

And that’s how you give the SEC the bird.

I didn't mean to imply there is car to car variation, more like location variation. There may be some variation between the older vs newer autopilot performance though.

DE.PNG

upload_2019-4-19_19-38-29.png

EV Sales: Germany March 2019