Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One problem I have: why build the 2020 Roadster if the future is people not driving cars? Is the 2020 Roadster a horse just waiting to happen?

If the future is cars without steering wheels, why bother with Roadster, which seems like the "Ultimate Driving Machine" that out-BMWs BMW. But if the future is cars self-driving themselves, any Performance Tesla vehicle no longer makes sense, does it?

Sure, you could tap a setting and turn on "aggressive race car mode" but what's the fun in that if you are not in control of the vehicle? It's just a video game at that point.

One problem I have: why build the 2020 Roadster if the future is people not driving cars? Is the 2020 Roadster a horse just waiting to happen?

If the future is cars without steering wheels, why bother with Roadster, which seems like the "Ultimate Driving Machine" that out-BMWs BMW. But if the future is cars self-driving themselves, any Performance Tesla vehicle no longer makes sense, does it?

Branding. It doesn't affect the bottom line.

Reactions: humbaba

the Roadster isn't for transportation. it's for sport and recreation.

we do still have horses, you know.

No he said the cost to hire a robotaxi would be $2-3/mile. But the robotaki operator is only paying $0.18/mile. ($0.36 if you cant that only half of the miles are productive.)

I could see that at first (probably priced based on local demand), as long as it's significantly cheaper than Uber/Lyft, but it needs to be much less than that if widespread adoption is to occur.

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba

Sure, you could tap a setting and turn on "aggressive race car mode" but what's the fun in that if you are not in control of the vehicle? It's just a video game at that point.

Those high end cars are for big manufacturer always marketing, and the roadster seems particular well suited for that, I personally would question more the pickup,

they said they are building self driving cars, they didn't say they will forbit people from driving them exclusively.

My overall impression:
- lots of technical (geeky) information about hardware, NN, software
- very little data/info in the form of digestable by finance types
=> this will take a LOOOONG time to morph into any positive effect on the SP

Elon sounds kinda upset that people don't get that it is stupid to buy any other car than a Tesla => demand problem kinda confirmed ?

Reactions: neroden and erha
I don’t get Elon stating these really aggressive timelines. I know Elon genuinely believes them but there is nothing to be lost by just saying something super conservative

Like if Tesla achieves FSD in 4 years yeah they’ll miss Elon’s timeline and be lambasted for it but it’ll probably still be years before anyone else
Elon says what he thinks.
He is straightforward and genuine as always.
Why so surprised about this?

No system is perfect. Idiot management is with us always. I did not work in auto service. I’ve worked in service/support structures under manufacturing, under marketing and under quality. Pluses and minuses with all.

But really important is to have an independent customer satisfaction survey at a high level. Customer satisfaction should drive service as well as other goals just like any responsive business.
It certainly should, but I've noticed that if I fill in a less than complementary survey, I never get another survey from that dealer. I assume from this that the dealers don't actually care about anything but showing perfect ratings to the manufacturer.

I don’t get Elon stating these really aggressive timelines. I know Elon genuinely believes them but there is nothing to be lost by just saying something super conservative

Like if Tesla achieves FSD in 4 years yeah they’ll miss Elon’s timeline and be lambasted for it but it’ll probably still be years before anyone else

"What's the difference between between Tesla's NN and its CEO?

Only one of those things learns from its mistakes."

Just joking, guys!

Last edited: