Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think this pretty much sums it up:

Screenshot_20190425-003316_DASTrader.jpg

Not bad at all, market expected worse. Excited for tommorow.

Tesla insurance rate will be based on the risk involved in the driving behaviour of the driver (which Tesla can monitor). That's a biggie.
They'll probably create a variable, dynamic rate which gives you greater discounts for use of Autopilot and FSD (when available).

But if they are unwinding the wave and delivering worldwide throughout the quarter, I would expect the in transit number to remain fairly high. I would think it would be difficult to hit 90k for Q2.
The main point is it will remain high - not increase. So, if they can produce 90k this quarter, they can deliver that many with 10k in transit (same as last quarter).

But that does not answer the question, cause the wave would drive down deliveries. if they are already confident about that much deliveries, how comes the loss expectation?

It would drive down deliveries but not production. They could deliver 500 million cars this quarter and it would still be a loss if they're producing 600 million.

It's actually easier to maximize deliveries in a continuous delivery model, because with the "wave" method many of the more distant delivery centers run out of cars 1-2 days before the end of the quarter, some of the faraway ones run out of cars 1-2 weeks before the end of the quarter, plus this lack of cars persists in the first few weeks of the quarter. Delivery centers closest to the factory are overworked. This creates a lot of risk of cars ending up in the wrong place and not being matched to customers.

By smoothing deliveries they'll also be able to stop the end of quarter discounts that many customers learned to rely on. This will help margins.

All around a good move, but obviously capital intensive.
What kind of ballpark in transit number would you expect in the new approach? If 50% of the vehicles are going beyond the U.S. with a weekly production rate of 7,000 (including S/X), seems like in transit would run somewhere around 10k per quarter (at these rates.) Does that sound about right?

It's great news Tesla is offering insurance. I would switch to Tesla Insurance. I will drive carefully to make sure they can take my money and keep it.

From a very long term view, Tesla could earn a total of 800B profit insuring 100 million Tesla vehicles, while also help Tesla car owners save money. I can't see how other companies can compete with Tesla in this business.

Also note how this effectively raises capital from owners: every 100,000 insured cars with a $200 per month insurance premium generates a cash inflow of $60m per quarter, $240m per year.

The cash outflow is delayed, and Tesla Insurance will be holding significant amounts of capital it can invest.

Regular insurance companies invest in securities and gain market rate returns.

Tesla Insurance will invest in Tesla, obviously. :D

Last edited:
It's great news Tesla is offering insurance. I would switch to Tesla Insurance. I will drive carefully to make sure they can take my money and keep it.

From a very long term view, Tesla could earn a total of 800B profit insuring 100 million Tesla vehicles, while also help Tesla car owners save money. I can't see how other companies can compete with Tesla in this business.
They are starting to create another galaxy in the Teslaverse - Cars, Energy, Rideshare, Insurance. Eventually all those inactive supercomputers in the cars can mine for Bitcoin, solve for Pi's digits, etc.